Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:23 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Cindy McCain got hooked on a pain relivers prescribed to her after back surgeries. She has had high blood pressure issues and health issues in general. Boy you people are pathetic, really pathetic!
Let them bring it up during the election, and let the public reaction speak for itself. Frankly, those who expect this issue to have any traction may be rather disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 10:34 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Cindy McCain was addicted for almost 4 years she didn't, as you surmise, realize she had a problem and got help. Her charity (AVMT) was being investigated because Cindy, as I previously mentioned, had gotten volunteer doctors to write prescriptions which she filled for herself in patient's names. Apparently, one of the doctors went to the DEA, which in turn launched an investigation of Cindy and her charity.

My point is this, she was forced to get help, she never initiated the rehab process. The whole rather tawdry episode speaks to a lack of character and moral values on the part of Cindy McCain.
I guess I come at this from a different point of view, I have family members who have had similar issues, and they are good people that made poor choices. They should have to be held responsible for any wrongdoings that they were apart of while they were under the influence, but if they have gone thru the treatment process, and are now clean, then I don't think that just the fact that they had drug issues before should be reason enough to discount them from any position they wish to attain in the future.

I support Barack Obama, and I admire Michelle Obama for her voice and her strength and her intelligence, I feel that she will make a better first lady than Cindy McCain, but that has nothing to do with Cindy's drug use.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:38 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
I guess I come at this from a different point of view, I have family members who have had similar issues, and they are good people that made poor choices. They should have to be held responsible for any wrongdoings that they were apart of while they were under the influence, but if they have gone thru the treatment process, and are now clean, then I don't think that just the fact that they had drug issues before should be reason enough to discount them from any position they wish to attain in the future.

I support Barack Obama, and I admire Michelle Obama for her voice and her strength and her intelligence, I feel that she will make a better first lady than Cindy McCain, but that has nothing to do with Cindy's drug use.
It is refreshing to see Obama supporters that are intelligent, mature and caring people, especially among the juvenile, immature, and uncaring ones on this forum. Kudos to you!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:39 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Let them bring it up during the election, and let the public reaction speak for itself. Frankly, those who expect this issue to have any traction may be rather disappointed.
I actually think it would have a backlash of sorts.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:47 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,767,269 times
Why should her past addiction be a factor? She's not the one running for President, is she?

Old 05-22-2008, 10:57 AM

939 posts, read 2,380,826 times
I hope not.

I believe Senator Obama and his campaign will not go there not only because they don't find it acceptable, but also because even if they did think it was "okay" they know that politically it would backfire. People would see Cindy McCain as someone who overcame a difficult situation and they would identify with her in some way. "Attacking" her would also open up the floodgates toward attacks on Michelle Obama (which are pretty much open anyway but any attacks on Michelle Obama would be seen as complete fair game).

Michelle Obama, as a strong, professional woman, is off-putting for some, so she will continue to be scrutinized just as HRC was when Clinton was running for office the first time. If anyone starts going after Cindy McCain, the scrutiny of Michelle Obama will just increase and be seen as justifiable.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:11 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Her case is not like other "people" She got addicted to pain pills, then STOLE from her own charity to support her habit. She had prescriptions written in charity patients names, then filled them for herself. One doctor actually lost his license over the affair, but, though she admitted wrongdoing, Cindy McCain's financial and political connections allowed her to avoid prosecution of any kind.
If Michelle Obama had been guilty of those crimes, imagine the outrage, not only in the media, but from some of the same members of this board that now defend Cindy McCain. Heck, they go after Obama's wife by picking at words, but Cindy's outright crimes get a pass. Hypocrisy anyone?
You know nothing about addictions and what they do to people how they change. Let alone being in so much pain you cannot function without medication. First time offender, being a person that contributes to society and other things probably all played into the judges decision like it does for many other people in America.
It is sad to think that C. McCain has gotten a pass her stuff happened years ago and she has talked about it.
Obamas is happening NOW! Big difference
Actually if Obamas wife had been guilty of the same it would be so down played it would not be funny.
A addiction is a sickness and no different than any other illness. It is funny that Edwards wife got nothing but sympathy for her illness but C. McCain is only getting contempt from the Dems for something that happened yrs ago!. Hmmmmmm.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:11 AM

152 posts, read 335,418 times
Quote:
I really hesitated to do this but it really is funny based on the supposed tape floating about.

When/if the Obamas take up home in the White House will Michelle hang a sign outside stating "No Whities Allowed"?
Perhaps you're trying to make a point, but do you truly, honestly think Michelle O would do this? Really.

Anyway, in general, I do not think the spouses of presidential candidates should be dragged through the mud over past deeds, especially considering people change over time and you shouldn't really judge people because of something they did in the past. There should be some kind of standard or line that isn't crossed.

But people jumped on Michelle O over things they think she said (in the present and past), or what they thought she meant about something she said (in the present and past), how she looks, etc. and she is generally not given the benefit of the doubt over anything, just immediately bashed. If she tries to clarify, she is still bashed.

So if that is the case with her, it should be the same with Cindy, sorry.

Not about having a stroke (even if its related to her past drug abuse), because this is an illness that can strike anyone. But she was a junkie that stole money from a nonprofit and had fake prescriptions written out to herself. That is kind of low. In the environment that we've created, where everything about someone is picked apart, over and over and OVER again, I'm not sure why she hasn't been grilled and asked about it.

Also, I am not sure why people assume that Michelle O would be a "co-president". Is it because she is outspoken and has opinions and seems to be a strong woman? And Cindy will be the perfect first lady because she smiles and waves silently and has the "look" (as someone mentioned; not sure what that "look" is)? A little sexism is showing here. I don't judge either of them for being the way they are, I mean everyone has different personalities. But it doesn't indicate how they will be as first ladies. Michelle O still has two small children to raise, while Cindy has their youngest who isn't not as young as the O kids (if I am not not mistaken).

But for the record, personally, I think both wives should be largely kept out of attacks. It's just not cool to disrespect a person's wife, no matter what you think of the candidate. But, unfortunately,thats the political environment we've accepted as a people.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:13 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Certainly it should be, it speaks to a lack of character.

Another question is whether her brain damage should be an issue. Cindy McCain suffered a stroke in 2004, probably because of her past drug use. This is from an interview she gave last year:

Yeah, sure Cindy. Do we really want a brain damaged first lady?

Cafe Talk | Talking Points Memo | Should Cindy McCain's Brain Damage Be A Campaign Issue?
Now you people don't like disabled folks?!?! Better get the gas chambers fired up!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 11:44 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
I actually think it would have a backlash of sorts.
That would be refreshing. I find this whole attack on families and spouses disgusting. If people continue with this obsession I hope it backlashes big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections