Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:37 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,602,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukePH View Post
Another lefty loony, did Bush lie about his duty? Liberals continue to lie about everything under the sun and when the TRUTH is plain and clear, the sheep still follow. Great Party to be a part of. No morals, no sense of personal responsibility, just a laughable bunch of clowns. Good Luck in the GE, you have no chance. At least you will have four more years to throw pitty parties and degrade others who actually do something for their country and themselves. Actually, if McCain does not win, your life will be absolutley empty with nothing to do or complain about.

No political party is an example of absolute moral character or truth telling. This post is disingenuous.

Remember this little tale?
"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 12:56 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Are you saying that the 30-years' experience McCain acquired as a U.S. representative, and then as a Senator has no bearing on his qualification to be president? By that standard you would need to discount Obama's half term as a Senator and however long he served in the Illinois Legislature. If you do that what's left to qualify him to run as dog catcher, much less president of the U.S?
Exactly, Obama's resume is quite limited when it comes to Federal Gov't experience, and this is a concern to me and I would imagine others when thinking he "or anyone with his lack of experience" has the power to start a Nuclear War or talk with Iran leadership....His best bet is to acquire more senator experience under his belt..americans want and need change so bad, they will take almost anyone that is younger than "dirt" and talking "change"...What darn change...that's what scares me ....

Old 05-22-2008, 01:29 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,174,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
McCain's military experience is one of a hostage. Obama can learn diplomacy, in fact we are all raised in the art of diplomacy from the time we first ask for something (a cookie) and are rejected.

Do you believe the experience could have an adverse affect on how he views the World in times of War? (Two)
McCain only spent 5 years of his military experience as a hostage. He retired with 15 or 20 years in the military. I actually think his military experience will give him a much different view of War. I know he is against torture and I'm sure he knows a lot about the Geneva Convention.

Did you know McCain's father and grandfather were also in the military? And two of his sons have served in Iraq? I believe one of his sons is still in Iraq right now.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:32 PM

994 posts, read 1,544,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
McCain only spent 5 years of his military experience as a hostage. He retired with 15 or 20 years in the military. I actually think his military experience will give him a much different view of War. I know he is against torture and I'm sure he knows a lot about the Geneva Convention.

Did you know McCain's father and grandfather were also in the military? And two of his sons have served in Iraq? I believe one of his sons is still in Iraq right now.
What about what these guys are saying?

Vietnam Veterans Against John McCain

Old 05-22-2008, 02:49 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

Sorry. You're wrong. McCain graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1958. He retired from the Navy in 1981. In between he spent five and one half years as a POW. He held several commands before his retirement. So his military experience is much broader than simply being a POW.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:52 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
McCain's military experience is one of a hostage. Obama can learn diplomacy, in fact we are all raised in the art of diplomacy from the time we first ask for something (a cookie) and are rejected.

Do you believe the experience could have an adverse affect on how he views the World in times of War? (Two)
I would think that his knowledge both of how the military works and what war is would be an asset in time of war. But that's just me.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:07 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,860,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post

I looked at the site. Good luck if you think that will turn anyone against McCain. I liked the story about how McCain was singled out for soft treatment at the Hanoi Hilton. That's not what his roommates say.

Pathetic.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:08 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,882,143 times
Give up trying to swiftboat John McCain, that smear got old last election. Maybe try his rich wifes tax returns or something

Old 05-22-2008, 03:13 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,784,035 times
Quote:
americans want and need change so bad, they will take almost anyone that is younger than "dirt" and talking "change"...What darn change...that's what scares me ....
Personally, I think that is better than having people who are so resistant to change that they are willing to elect someone who is 72 years old or whatever, and is just like the horrible president we have had for 8 prior years.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:40 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post

Glad you brought that cheap shot up, it was investigated thoroughly by the New York Times (I'm kind of a legitimate souce and accuracy fanatic). They found the fellow was an ignorant phony, who didn't personally know McCain.

Here are some excerpts:

Vietnam Veterans Against McCain is led by Gerard W. Kiley, who led a similar effort against Senator John Kerry’s Democratic presidential campaign in 2004. Reached Wednesday at his home in Garnerville, N.Y., in Rockland County, Mr. Kiley said that he was effectively the only member of his group and that “we really don’t have any money to speak of.” Mr. Kiley said he thought Mr. McCain gave up too much information to the North Vietnamese and was wrongly claimed as a war hero.

Mr. Kiley, 61, a Vietnam veteran, said that he had worked for the past four decades for a major New York corporation that he declined to name.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/us...=1&oref=slogin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections