Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 08:44 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Cawthorn as a candidate was an embarrassment.
Yes, and North Carolina Republicans were wise to dump him.

Now, will Georgia and Colorado have the good sense to likewise get rid of embarrassments Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 11:38 AM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
But the scariest thing is how close this idiot came to winning reelection
In the larger counties, it really wasn’t close. Edwards carried Buncombe, Transylvania, and Henderson counties overwhelmingly. Cawthorn lost his home county of Henderson by a wide margin. Not surprisingly, the rural counties that went for Cawthorn.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:46 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
The Republicans certainly won't miss him. He's living proof that bad apples sometime get through. And the Democrats even have a few good ones.
True on both points.

Quote:
Kinda as a human, too.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:07 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
This is a step in the right direction for the party.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:09 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Yes, and North Carolina Republicans were wise to dump him.

Now, will Georgia and Colorado have the good sense to likewise get rid of embarrassments Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert?
They might be able to dump Boebert, but I think Greene, as wealthy as she is, is safe and secure in her spot.

I hope I am wrong about Greene, but I doubt it.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:17 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
They might be able to dump Boebert, but I think Greene, as wealthy as she is, is safe and secure in her spot.

I hope I am wrong about Greene, but I doubt it.
In addition to his antics Cawthrorn was also hurt by the fact he initially decided to run in a completely different district outside of his home prior to the North Carolina map being overturned.

I would agree with Greene as in addition to her wealth she also represents a considerably more conservative district than the eitherr Cawthorn or Boebert (though I would think Boebert wins as well)

Old 05-18-2022, 12:27 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
This is a step in the right direction for the party.
His opponent got a lot of the Independent and traditional Republican (non-Trump) vote.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:30 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
I say that about most of our southern states but NC is less embarrassing than most of them. Kind of.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:34 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
In the larger counties, it really wasn’t close. Edwards carried Buncombe, Transylvania, and Henderson counties overwhelmingly. Cawthorn lost his home county of Henderson by a wide margin. Not surprisingly, the rural counties that went for Cawthorn.
It just goes to show you how far off of the rails rural America seem to have gone. I am what used to be a Republican; but I would have voted for a head of lettuce before Cawthorn. I've got friends in Waynesville who just cannot understand his appeal to anyone.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:11 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
About the only decent thing Mr. Cawthorn has done since he came to the public's attention.

He is in for a couple of rough months until he leaves his office January 3rd. Not only from Democrats, but from fellow Republicans whom, to show that they are 'not like him', will castigate him. Mr. Cawthorn is now the official whipping boy of the Republican party. Of course, at the beginning, Mr. Cawthorn was the 'golden boy' of the Republican party, with various members predicting great things for him.

Indeed, I can also make predictions: Mr. Cawthorn's future includes State and Federal prison.

Nevertheless, I am sadden. Mr. Cawthorn could have had a bright future. But he became enthralled by Mr. Trump and others, and sought to emulate them. Is he secretly gay? I don't care. But many cared that he seemed to go after the gay community, while recordings tend to show that he is, at least, bi.

Perhaps Mr. Cawthorn will embark on a rehabilitation tour, in order to salvage his reputation. Or, more likely, he will end up as a commentator on Fox News, and so be beyond hope.

Yet, he conceded. Which gives me a glimmer of hope for him.

PS: as for the Republican party turning their back on him: it is odd. The Republicans forgave much of his behavior, including seemingly supporting the insurrection of January 6th, and his various awful statements indicating a strong racial bias. But when he said that he has been invited to 'orgies' and cocaine parties? That the Republicans could not stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies