Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 11:21 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times

Advertisements

The last election was no doubt ALL about Trump. For or against him, that's what practically everyone was casting votes in regard to. Which points directly back at the reason I have/had such a huge problem with him.

It's not even the guy himself. It's not how I believe him to be at best a wannabe mob boss who gets played by the bigger fish in the scene of international politics, and hell, his own wife while we're at it...it's not about the things he says or the disgusting troll/bully behavior of him and his. It's not even about the fact that I have a personal tie in with an ex who is a conspiracy slavering Q-following Trumper who threatened my life and is to this day a dysfunctional mess. Nope. It's not about his policies, either.

And it sure as hell isn't any particular love for Joe Biden.

The issue I've got with Trump, is Trumpism...and not even just the fangirling of the "base" but how the whole Republican Party acts like they are in a hostage situation with this guy. They are barely...and even then, only some of them and only some of the time...holding on to the edge of the cliff and NOT throwing over our democracy for this dude. When they came right out and said, "We are not putting forward a party policy platform. It's just Trump. All about the big guy. Whatever the Boss wants"... I was like "Oh my god. What the hell is happening here?" Throw in things like open admiration (from Trump and Trump messaging channels) for Hungary's style of government, not to mention Putin, Kim Jong-Un, and Duterte...well, it's pretty obvious what is going on here.

I believe that this is the part that is fundamentally un-American.

I see our leaders as CIVIL SERVANTS not "Chosen One" figureheads. That's dictator crap. We don't do that here. We should NEVER do that here.

So it was above all, that "He's our guy and we support him loyally no matter what" thing that has me freaked about Trump. And how he did everything he could to fire anyone who did not meet that standard, above all else. I actually think he's got some kind of hardcore dirt on most of the R's in the government and boy would I love to know what gun he's holding to some of those heads. I think it's got to be more than just "I will withdraw my endorsement and get you primaried." These people act like he's holding their kids and dogs hostage or something. All but a few of them.

So I agree with another poster, in that before I will even consider voting for anybody with an R next to their name, I need to know that at least they, and preferably the party, has turned away from Trump and is invested in democracy. I have in the past voted conservative. But I do not believe that the Republican party of today is conservative at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 11:47 AM

13,754 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Back to AZ... I think 2022 will be interesting. Is AZ red, blue or purple. Was 2020 an anomaly or a sign of changing demographics.

Personally, I find nothing difficult about voting nor do I find anything wrong with requiring an I.D. I'm glad AZ will not allow ballot harvesting.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ws/7327138002/

Imo, if ballot harvesting is allowed and ballots can be dropped off at any precinct it will only be a matter of time before some sell their ballot to the highest bidder. I suspect we'll see an uptick in voter registration not necessarily because of a particular party, candidate or issues. But because $200 is the going rate for filling out/signing their ballot the way the person with the money wants.

When you expect a close election money is better spent buying votes instead of spending millions on adverting.

Last edited by john3232; 06-09-2022 at 12:16 PM..

Old 06-09-2022, 01:03 PM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
It's hard to see with your head in the sand. But whatever, you do you. You seem to like all the lifelong RINO politicians. I think a lot of people refer to it as the swamp. All of them are wearing the same suits, just different ties. I would think you were old enough and wise enough to see this.
I read all opinions and I judge accordingly. Actually, I would say that your head is in the sand. I watched dozens of documentaries.

Re: me being a RINO. Whatever. I'm fiscally conservative and by definition, prefer smaller government. Meanwhile, we are talking about the quintessential RINO: Donald Trump. All this "grab her (female cat)" has to do is toss Christians a promise to abolish abortion (that he personally doesn't give a crap about), and you all fall in line. To sleep at night, you rationalize that "all politicians are all the same". Got it!

Old 06-09-2022, 01:16 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Back to AZ... I think 2022 will be interesting. Is AZ red, blue or purple. Was 2020 an anomaly or a sign of changing demographics.

Personally, I find nothing difficult about voting nor do I find anything wrong with requiring an I.D. I'm glad AZ will not allow ballot harvesting.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ws/7327138002/

Imo, if ballot harvesting is allowed and ballots can be dropped off at any precinct it will only be a matter of time before some sell their ballot to the highest bidder. I suspect we'll see an uptick in voter registration not necessarily because of a particular party, candidate or issues. But because $200 is the going rate for filling out/signing their ballot the way the person with the money wants.

When you expect a close election money is better spent buying votes instead of spending millions on adverting.
If you want to waste your time waiting in line to vote so you can show your ID, do it. I live in 2022 and vote from home. I provided identification when I registered to vote.

Old 06-09-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I read all opinions and I judge accordingly. Actually, I would say that your head is in the sand. I watched dozens of documentaries.

Re: me being a RINO. Whatever. I'm fiscally conservative and by definition, prefer smaller government. Meanwhile, we are talking about the quintessential RINO: Donald Trump. All this "grab her (female cat)" has to do is toss Christians a promise to abolish abortion (that he personally doesn't give a crap about), and you all fall in line. To sleep at night, you rationalize that "all politicians are all the same". Got it!
His head is most definitely in the sand. Some people very emotional about Trump.

Old 06-09-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
If you want to waste your time waiting in line to vote so you can show your ID, do it. I live in 2022 and vote from home. I provided identification when I registered to vote.

I vote by mail as well.

Old 06-09-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I vote by mail as well.
Explain this part of your post then:

"Personally, I find nothing difficult about voting nor do I find anything wrong with requiring an I.D. I'm glad AZ will not allow ballot harvesting."

The "We need to show ID to vote" movement is a ruse by Republicans to gain a competitive edge, because statistically more democrats vote by mail. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:12 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I vote by mail but I'd show up and stand in line if I had to. But I'll do whatever it takes to have my vote counted.

What I am very happy about, are resources online that allow voters to track that their registration is current, ballot was sent, ballot received, ballot counted/accepted.

Last year was my first one voting here in AZ. (Before that it was CO and they have mail voting, too.) I got married somewhat recently, and my signature is admittedly not 100% consistent. So I got a phone call about my ballot for the school district measure thing last year, to verify because my sig was not totally identical to what I'd provided on registration. I was happy they checked up! I was able to verify that yes indeed, I had sent a ballot, and my pertinent identifying info, and all was well, told the guy how I'm still kinda getting used to my married name. All good.

Look, I'm all for some amount of money being spent to audit an election if people seriously have doubts and questions. But what happens when the audit gets done and it changes nothing? When the "doubts" were really just denial of a thing that happened, and nothing is found that renders it otherwise? At some point it stops making sense to just keep throwing money at it. One would think?

Old 06-09-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Explain this part of your post then:

"Personally, I find nothing difficult about voting nor do I find anything wrong with requiring an I.D. I'm glad AZ will not allow ballot harvesting."

The "We need to show ID to vote" movement is a ruse by Republicans to gain a competitive edge, because statistically more democrats vote by mail. Nothing more, nothing less.
When I moved here i applied to vote. If I recall I used my drivers license to prove residency.
I received my ballot maybe a month before the last election. I filled it out and mailed it back a week later

Old 06-09-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
When I moved here i applied to vote. If I recall I used my drivers license to prove residency.
I received my ballot maybe a month before the last election. I filled it out and mailed it back a week later
Bingo. The "Show ID to vote" plan is code for "Make everyone vote in person so we can shave off some of their numbers". You don't want to have to show ID to vote, you want to have to show ID to register, which we already do. There is no problem with mail in voting after registering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections