Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:12 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,188,391 times

Advertisements

You can tell this is an Obama board!

Obama says he would meet with Cuba's leaders - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-campaign24-2008may24,0,6735347.story - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 07:23 PM

36,667 posts, read 67,622,805 times
Cuba is no longer the enemy they once were, Its time to take a new course on diplomacy, Im not adverse to that.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:37 PM

Don't you think the Castro government needs to make the first move?

Old 05-23-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Im not against a President that would at least open the door to the possibility of dialogue, It wouldnt hurt for us to take the leadership role on this one either. This could potentially not only improve relations with Cuba but also with the rest of Latin America.

I dont see anyone really losing. Not anymore.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:06 PM

You should read up on this (just like Obama should) before you advocate doing anything. There are reasons that Cubans are against this.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
You should read up on this (just like Obama should) before you advocate doing anything. There are reasons that Cubans are against this.
So there's no reason to give China, with all its human rights violations and restrictions on free speech "favored nation" status while we alienate a nation located 90 miles from Florida.

Doest make sense in 2008. Especially since they pose no threat to us whatsoever.

And I support Barack Obama's position that opening up dialogue with Cuba is a good idea.

Having lived in Latin America and traversing that region for about 15 years now, I can tell you that we have serious work to do in order to improve our image there and this would be a huge start.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:22 PM

289 posts, read 362,572 times
We were in Cuba just a few weeks ago. People their were asking about Obama and the ones I spoke to want him to be president. Their lives are so different. We as Canadians and American take so much for granted. After leaving Cuba I felt guilty. I could not see myself living as they do. So if someone like Barack Obama could make their lives just a little bit better then I say go for it Barack. Talking the last time I checked was free. We sometimes don't see outside the box that we have built around us. We sometimes think everyone has the life we have. We sometimes think all people have the freedom and security we do. People that is so not true. Some will say that they brought this on themselves but I say to them the people of Cuba had nothing to do with it. The dictatorship yes the people that are suffering NO. I plan on visiting again next year and hope to see some sort of small change for those people. I count my blessing every night now.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:35 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,176,607 times
Quote:
You can tell this is an Obama board!

Obama says he would meet with Cuba's leaders - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-campaign24-2008may24,0,6735347.story - broken link)
Good speech! makes sense.
You're right....we Obamaniacs dropped the ball on not putting forth this great idea!

But you can tell it really is an Obama board because of all the intelligent replies to your OP.

Thank you for bringing attention to Obama's speech!!!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:40 PM

McCain's Cuba agenda is too rigid. According to this article, Cuban Americans who arrived here after 1980 are not hostile towards Castro like the older Cubans who came decades earlier.

McCain -- Out of touch with Cuban Americans? | Reuters

Old 05-23-2008, 09:06 PM

31,687 posts, read 41,086,927 times
Quote:
Well Brazil and the United States are leading the world in Ethanol production. They use sugar while our process is forcing ethanol to compete with food for grain. What we need is a source of sugar that is close by and within reach of our Gulf Coast refineries? Where might that be? What country previously had a history of sugar production and selling it to the United States that is in close proximity to the Gulf?

Ethanol fuel in Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cuba's sugar industry - facing a new world order - with the dissolution of the Soviet Union, Cuba faces the problem of seeking new markets for its main agricultural commodity - U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Economic Research Service Report | Situation a

The Cuba article is dated but the history of our relations with Cuba is dated.

Should the President never make the first move or have a threshold of say $7.00 a gallon for gas to begin the discussion and oh about $10.00 per gallon before the ethanol hit the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections