Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2022, 01:23 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lol. The strawman arguments never end. Proof to white nationalists making up a significant part of the core of the GOP, and please be specific with numbers and stats?
Not a straw man argument. Dr. Oz pandered to the American Nativist/White Nationalist part of the Pennsylvania GOP during the GOP primaries for the US Senate by offering to renounce his Turkish citizenship if he was elected senator. That cannot be denied.

You seem to be OK with that...or do you have an issue with someone feeling the need to white wash himself for the GOP voters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 03:07 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Not a straw man argument. Dr. Oz pandered to the American Nativist/White Nationalist part of the Pennsylvania GOP during the GOP primaries for the US Senate by offering to renounce his Turkish citizenship if he was elected senator. That cannot be denied.

You seem to be OK with that...or do you have an issue with someone feeling the need to white wash himself for the GOP voters?
Love the deflection and assumptions. Why didn’t you answer the question to the claim you made? Proof to white nationalists making up a significant part of the core of the GOP, and please be specific with numbers and stats?

Old 08-25-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
Yep, indeed.
Still waiting for proof to the claim

Old 08-25-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Still waiting for proof to the claim
Except that you're using the old 'prove to my satisfaction' fallacy. And you're using it to deflect from the point I made about Dr. Oz pandering to said Nativist sentiment in the GOP.

No sane person would deny that there's a stain of outright racism running through the GOP.

Remember the entire Birther movement? That was part of the GOP back in 2008. Donald Trump even co-opted it to help launch his 2016 presidential campaign.

How about Charlottesville? I understand that there were some 'very fine people' there, carrying Tiki torches and chanting 'Jews will not replace us'.

How about when a certain President complained that we needed more immigrants from countries like Norway?

Lee Atwater even explained the entire GOP strategy in 2005, how they basically recruited racists to the GOP via code words that attracted them.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Except that you're using the old 'prove to my satisfaction' fallacy. And you're using it to deflect from the point I made about Dr. Oz pandering to said Nativist sentiment in the GOP.

No sane person would deny that there's a stain of outright racism running through the GOP.

Remember the entire Birther movement? That was part of the GOP back in 2008. Donald Trump even co-opted it to help launch his 2016 presidential campaign.

How about Charlottesville? I understand that there were some 'very fine people' there, carrying Tiki torches and chanting 'Jews will not replace us'.

How about when a certain President complained that we needed more immigrants from countries like Norway?

Lee Atwater even explained the entire GOP strategy in 2005, how they basically recruited racists to the GOP via code words that attracted them.
So much deflection and strawman arguments to avoid providing proof to the claim you made as nowhere in those arguments proves what you said about the majority of the GOP core being white nationalists.

Quote:
Does this mean that you're perfectly fine with politicians who pander to far right White Nationalists who are now making up a significant part of the core of the GOP?
Proof to far right white nationalists making of a significant part of the core of the GOP, and please provide numbers and stats?

Last edited by erieguy; 08-25-2022 at 06:45 PM..

Old 08-26-2022, 04:19 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
There's a lot said by Lee Atwater that many here should listen to.
Harry Dent begat Kevin Phillips and Lee Atwater who begat KKKarl Rove. Atwater was carefully taught and knew exactly what he was doing and why. On his deathbed he called a lot of his Democratic opponents to apologize for his actions. He was a bigot to his core who turned it into a cottage industry.

He is very much worth studying to learn how to counter the blatant racism he spent his entire career nursing and growing into the New Southern Strategy.

Old 08-26-2022, 05:10 AM

Again, with the claims by Erieguy of strawman arguments and of deflection. Someone is in full retreat concerning the candidacy of one Dr. Oz for US Senate.

I don't need to provided exact numbers to EG's satisfaction. Even if someone had performed an accurate enumeration of the far right White Nationalists within the GOP, EG would simply dismiss such info. And this is about an election in Pennsylvania - there's even less chance that there was such an enumeration performed for the state GOP in a swing state.

Instead, note that Dr. Oz won the Pennsylvania GOP primary election for US Senate with less than a third of the 1,345,922 votes cast in said primary. Dr. Oz also squeaked by David McCormick, who placed second, by less than a thousand votes out of the 1.3 million votes cast. So Dr. Oz won his primary because the field was so diluted, not because the state GOP voters were enamored of him. IMO, the man's pandering helped secure his skin-of-the-teeth primary election victory.

Finally, ever notice how those in this discussion who are on the right side of the political aisle never refer to Mehmet Oz? It's almost like the man's first name is 'Doctor'. But people on the right never had any issue with calling a former president Barack Hussein Obama.

EG blames Oz's troubles on the dubious claim that a massive population drain (which, btw, didn't happen) flipped Pennsylvania blue. I say that Oz is struggling because he's a bad campaigner, he's out of touch with Pennsylvanian voters, and (IMO) the White Nationalists in the Pennsylvania GOP electorate aren't very motivated to vote for a guy named Mehmet, even if he was born in the United States and anointed by Donald Trump.

Old 08-26-2022, 05:54 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Again, with the claims by Erieguy of strawman arguments and of deflection. Someone is in full retreat concerning the candidacy of one Dr. Oz for US Senate.

I don't need to provided exact numbers to EG's satisfaction. Even if someone had performed an accurate enumeration of the far right White Nationalists within the GOP, EG would simply dismiss such info. And this is about an election in Pennsylvania - there's even less chance that there was such an enumeration performed for the state GOP in a swing state.

Instead, note that Dr. Oz won the Pennsylvania GOP primary election for US Senate with less than a third of the 1,345,922 votes cast in said primary. Dr. Oz also squeaked by David McCormick, who placed second, by less than a thousand votes out of the 1.3 million votes cast. So Dr. Oz won his primary because the field was so diluted, not because the state GOP voters were enamored of him. IMO, the man's pandering helped secure his skin-of-the-teeth primary election victory.

Finally, ever notice how those in this discussion who are on the right side of the political aisle never refer to Mehmet Oz? It's almost like the man's first name is 'Doctor'. But people on the right never had any issue with calling a former president Barack Hussein Obama.

EG blames Oz's troubles on the dubious claim that a massive population drain (which, btw, didn't happen) flipped Pennsylvania blue. I say that Oz is struggling because he's a bad campaigner, he's out of touch with Pennsylvanian voters, and (IMO) the White Nationalists in the Pennsylvania GOP electorate aren't very motivated to vote for a guy named Mehmet, even if he was born in the United States and anointed by Donald Trump.
I wonder if they know Oz is a Muslim?

Old 08-26-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I wonder if they know Oz is a Muslim?
Wow, I didn't even consider the man's religion. He does say that he's a secular Muslim.

He was pro-choice on abortion before he was against it. He was LBGQ+ friendly - but doesn't seem to talk much about it nowadays. He was for some form of national health care before he was against it.

I'm starting to think that he might also have been fully woke - before he was against it.

A little more about his pledge to renounce his Turkish citizenship. He's stated that he maintains his Turkish citizenship in order to care for his mother who has Alzheimer's disease, but if elected to the US Senate will renounce his Turkish citizenship. In other words, if he's elected, he's throwing momma under the bus - whattaguy!

Old 08-26-2022, 07:30 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:

There was also a lot of nativism in the Tea Party Movement. Now I wont go as to say "All 'teabaggers' were nativist" but a number were. Also just look at the rhetoric related to immigration. Many on here call it "an invasion" which is a rather known word used with the Great Replacement theory where the demographic changes are being fought against by white males. This really started to gain steam during Gamergate when white male video gamers claimed women were invading the world of video game development by sleeping to the top. As for stats, 61% of Trump supporters believe that "a group of people in this country are trying to replace native-born Americans with immigrants and people of color who share their political views." https://www.msnbc.com/the-reidout/re...poll-rcna31215
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections