Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:43 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,125,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Nobody cares about Cuba except Cubans in South Florida, and nobody cares about us dealing with arab states except Israel. This "handful" of friends you speak of, will undoubtedly grow.

His stance on Iraq has been the right stance since day one. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Nothing John McCain or the republican hate machine can say or do will smear that.

All of congress has had to squirm in order to protect the troops that George W Bush has made sitting ducks in the desert across the world.
Once again you top out the Bullsh_t meter.

You said: "nobody cares about Cuba except Cubans..."

Hey pal we are US citizens, LEGAL IMMIGRANTS and we aren't all in South Florida. We pay taxes and vote. You'd better care about us!There are even a few Cuban-Americans "nobody cares about" who are blindly supporting your candidate even though he wants to buddy up with a dictator we hate and despise. I'm begining to think Cuban Americans are the most patriotic freedom loving Americans because we have seen the brutality and hate of Communism. Cuban Americans do not want the US to have any dealings with the brutal Communist regime that tortured and murdered our fathers and grandfathers and forced our families to leave Cuba

You said: "His stance on Iraq has been the right stance since day one. No ifs, ands or buts about it."

You need to be reminded that Barack Obama has changed his position on Iraqi withdrawal 5 times since the begining of his campaign for president. From his first 1."immediate withdrawal" he moved to 2."staged withdrawal over a short period" to 3."I'll coinsult with generals in the field" to 4."It's going to take longer than anticpated" and presently it's 5."we're looking at a 3 year plan of withdrawl".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 09:53 AM

8,725 posts, read 7,449,213 times
I am sure many Chinese and Vietnanese do not what the US to have relations with those brutal countries either, but as you can see, we do. Our Cuban relations is for one reason, the Cuban vote, that is it. If Chinese had made up a significant portion of a voting block perhaps we would not have opened trade dorrs with them either.

Cuba is far more leinient than many nations we have relations with, the embargo has not worked, it is time to try something else.

I can't beleive I am even defending Obama as I do not care one bit for him, but dang, some people need to get a grip. His stance was correct from day one because he did not vote to go to war. He changes his mind about the withdrawal because he, like everyone, changes their decision as they are fed with more information. I guess no one here as ever changed their mind on something after receiving more info about something. Those who don't are generaly refered to as "arrogant".

One thing is for sure, whatever party wins it will spell the death of them for awhile, the next president is receiving a huge mess that has only started and will come to full during their term. They will be blamed along with their party for the problems though the problmes were started before thier term in office and will be swiftly voted out in congress and in the whitehouse during the next few election cycles. Just my opinion of course.

I feel this presidency, past the historic basis of potentially having the first black or woman in office, will be insignificant as their hands will be tied on about every issue. Not their fault, its just my thoughts on it so I would not put to much into what a president says they are going to do or not do, I beleive they will not have many options to do either.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:07 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,399,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I am sure many Chinese and Vietnanese do not what the US to have relations with those brutal countries either, but as you can see, we do. Our Cuban relations is for one reason, the Cuban vote, that is it. If Chinese had made up a significant portion of a voting block perhaps we would not have opened trade dorrs with them either.

Cuba is far more leinient than many nations we have relations with, the embargo has not worked, it is time to try something else.

I can't beleive I am even defending Obama as I do not care one bit for him, but dang, some people need to get a grip. His stance was correct from day one because he did not vote to go to war. He changes his mind about the withdrawal because he, like everyone, changes their decision as they are fed with more information. I guess no one here as ever changed their mind on something after receiving more info about something. Those who don't are generaly refered to as "arrogant".

One thing is for sure, whatever party wins it will spell the death of them for awhile, the next president is receiving a huge mess that has only started and will come to full during their term. They will be blamed along with their party for the problems though the problmes were started before thier term in office and will be swiftly voted out in congress and in the whitehouse during the next few election cycles. Just my opinion of course.

I feel this presidency, past the historic basis of potentially having the first black or woman in office, will be insignificant as their hands will be tied on about every issue. Not their fault, its just my thoughts on it so I would not put to much into what a president says they are going to do or not do, I beleive they will not have many options to do either.
Yeah, it's time to MOVE ON. Things are about to change in Cuba BIG TIME - and we need to be ready for that and start moving towards the new relationship with the new Cuba.

Who we choose to like and not like is not based on morals, but on perceived practicality and/or dogma. Cuba is a perfect case in point.

Ken

Old 05-25-2008, 10:31 AM

36,699 posts, read 67,751,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post
Once again you top out the Bullsh_t meter.
I'll take that as a compliment.

Quote:
: "nobody cares about Cuba except Cubans..."
What I meant is most people dont view Cuba as a threat like it was in the 1960s, in fact its anything but.

Quote:
Hey pal we are US citizens, LEGAL IMMIGRANTS and we aren't all in South Florida. We pay taxes and vote. You'd better care about us!There are even a few Cuban-Americans "nobody cares about" who are blindly supporting your candidate even though he wants to buddy up with a dictator we hate and despise. I'm begining to think Cuban Americans are the most patriotic freedom loving Americans because we have seen the brutality and hate of Communism. Cuban Americans do not want the US to have any dealings with the brutal Communist regime that tortured and murdered our fathers and grandfathers and forced our families to leave Cuba
You know what, snap out of it.

A poll taken of Cubans who arrived here after 1980 show that they are about 50% less hostile to Castro than those who came here, or whose parents came here prior.

What does that mean? That times have changed but we have a huge faction of bitter ex-patriots standing in the way of the US improving relations with a country only 90 miles from Florida.

And I still have heard no reason whatsoever why we China, a nation with just as bad a human rights record as Cuba, has favored nation status and Cuba is still treated like they have missles pointed at us, when China probably actually does.

Doesnt Cuba deserve to expand economically?

Quote:
You said:"His stance on Iraq has been the right stance since day one. No ifs, ands or buts about it."
Damn right and I stand by it.

Quote:
You need to be reminded that Barack Obama has changed his position on Iraqi withdrawal 5 times since the begining of his campaign for president. From his first 1."immediate withdrawal" he moved to 2."staged withdrawal over a short period" to 3."I'll coinsult with generals in the field" to 4."It's going to take longer than anticpated" and presently it's 5."we're looking at a 3 year plan of withdrawl".
Everyone is scrambling to come up with what to do about Iraq NOW. Its a huge mess and no one has a comprehensive plan because we dont control the situation yet.

However,
If we had excercised conventional wisdom in the first place such as that espoused by Barack Obama, we might not even be having this conversation.

Because like millions who saw through the web of lies put forth by the Bush Administration, Barack Obama was correct in his stance that we didnt need to even go there the way we did and when we did.

Period.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:21 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,206,921 times
Here's an interesting editorial. It looks at foreign relations under President Obama.

A View From Utopia: Imagining Obama's Foreign Policy (http://www.jewishpress.com/page.do/31499/A_View_From_Utopia:_Imagining_Obama's_Foreign_Poli cy.html - broken link)

Old 05-25-2008, 02:35 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,934,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Here is the Obama Doctrine:

“Whatever you like, I like and whatever you don’t like I also don’t like. Don’t worry. I’m just saying this stuff to those other people so I can get elected. But I really agree with you 100%. Hope. Change.”
Is that right? I don't see him jump on the bandwagon on suspending gas tax for the summer. Hmmmmm maybe he's onto something with the talking to our enemies... maybe because the current strategy is FAILING?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections