Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:15 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,190,419 times

Advertisements

The Associated Press: Fact Check: Obama's outreach to foes questionable (broken link)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Barack Obama's willingness to meet Iranian, Cuban and other hostile leaders who would not get face time from John McCain stands as a distinctive element of his foreign policy.

Distinctive, yes, but clearly defined? Not quite.

Good article. I particularly like these two lines:

"Obama called that a case of old Washington thinking.
The new thinking, however, appears not to have been thought all the way through."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 12:06 AM

Here is the Obama Doctrine:

“Whatever you like, I like and whatever you don’t like I also don’t like. Don’t worry. I’m just saying this stuff to those other people so I can get elected. But I really agree with you 100%. Hope. Change.”

Old 05-24-2008, 12:25 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,029,984 times
LOL!

CNN actually hit him hard on this yesterday. They played several clips showing how he's tried to waffle and spin his words in different ways. The bottom line is that he made some very wrong-headed statements in the first debates, he knows it, he's too arrogant to admit he was wrong, and he's trying to wiggle out of it.

He really doesn't understand the nuances of diplomacy and it's scary to see how many people obviously don't care.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:40 AM

I can see our handful of friends (the few we have left) leaving us because Obama's making nice to our (and their) enemies.

He has squirmed every which way on this Iran thing. It's been quite comical to watch.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:54 AM

36,668 posts, read 67,634,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I can see our handful of friends (the few we have left) leaving us because Obama's making nice to our (and their) enemies.
Nobody cares about Cuba except Cubans in South Florida, and nobody cares about us dealing with arab states except Israel. This "handful" of friends you speak of, will undoubtedly grow.

Quote:
He has squirmed every which way on this Iran thing. It's been quite comical to watch.
His stance on Iraq has been the right stance since day one. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Nothing John McCain or the republican hate machine can say or do will smear that.

All of congress has had to squirm in order to protect the troops that George W Bush has made sitting ducks in the desert across the world.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:50 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,429,985 times
We talked to Stalin before, cewrtainly none of the modern leaders now days are that bad.

We were buddies with Sadaam, is Fidel worst?

We have a whole bunch of history in which we associated with dictators, you all think the shah of Iran was some great guy or something?

We also backed Pinochet, another fantastic guy.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

His stance on Iraq has been the right stance since day one. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Nothing John McCain or the republican hate machine can say or do will smear that.
What is his stance on Iraq?

Old 05-25-2008, 02:43 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,366,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
We talked to Stalin before, cewrtainly none of the modern leaders now days are that bad.

We were buddies with Sadaam, is Fidel worst?

We have a whole bunch of history in which we associated with dictators, you all think the shah of Iran was some great guy or something?

We also backed Pinochet, another fantastic guy.
Yes indeed.

Ken

Old 05-25-2008, 05:32 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,205,643 times
If you'd read the whole opinion piece (=what it is, it's not a news article) you might not have posted it because while it does have an excitingly anti-Obama headline the actual "article" says nothing negative.

I think it's hugely perceptive and encouraging of him to point out, when people bring up Amadinejad, that A is not the most important guy in Iran, and that he would expect to meet with the people "who actually make decisions."

A picture caption for that article which paraphrases a para. in the article: "Obama promised an 'unshakable commitment' to Israel if he is elected, and Obama stressed that he would not negotiate with the militant Palestinian group Hamas."
"When you say preconditions, what you're really saying is, 'I'm not going to talk to you until you agree to do exactly what I want you to do,'" Obama said. "Well, that's not how negotiations take place."
Please note the following is from the exact same op ed.
McCain supporter James A. Baker III, former Republican secretary of state and chairman of the Iraq commission, has sounded closer to Obama on the subject of negotiating with hostile governments.

"You talk to your enemies, not just your friends," Baker said in 2006, words echoed by Obama.

Baker's commission urged engagement with Iran and Syria, without preconditions, at the level of the president or secretary of state, on the matter of Iraq. As secretary of state, Baker held many meetings with Syrians despite their listing by the U.S. as state sponsors of terrorism.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:34 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,205,643 times
Default And Foidamore

The right-wing propagandists try to keep you in the schoolyard feeling good about yourselves a la the tough-guy bully or (my favorite) the beleaguered-on-all-sides Voice of Reason daddy (or, for women, La Liberte) in a sea of whining, clueless, spoiled women, children and testicularly-challenged "men" (moonbats, latte drinkers, etc.). They give you cartoons - Obama the skinny naive child, etc. Dont you think that's insulting to you?

Of course there are left-wing propagandists, too

Shouldnt we admit, if only to ourselves, that while the propagandists keep us content in the corrals we choose to walk into, the real action of running the country is going on somewhere else?

They want you to stay this way.

Break your chains - turn off your TV - think for yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections