Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:23 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
Hillary got to where she is on the coattails of her husband. Does anyone believe she would be where she is if she hadn't been first lady. Go overseas and the observation is that she was an opportunist in marrying Bill.

Is this what feminism is about? Using a man to get to where you want? I think not. She bastardizes feminism. Hopefull she will fade into the background and a woman who hasn't needed a man fronting her will rise up and epitomize true feminism.
Are you talking about Hillary Rodham Clinton?!

Without spending too much time repeating information you can easily find all over the place yourself, she was a political animal all on her own from the age of 13. She has an inordinately heavy busy history of political involvement before and during the White House years. She turned Bill down the first time he proposed.

Of all women in US politics today - or yesterday - Hillary is the most likely to have run for the presidency by herself, no matter who she was married to or whether she was married at all. Her entire life history shows this. That's just so obvious it makes me wonder if your post is serious.

She doesnt bastardize feminism for heaven's sake, how exactly do you define "feminism"? She's a hard core role model for all independent women, especially for the women who will "rise up" after her.

"Go overseas and the observation is...." Good heavens, where overseas would this be? Can you direct me/us to a link that expresses this belief? Unless of course yours was a troll post designed to get readers up in arms over nothing, in which case all righty then.

Signed, a feminist from way back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:44 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
She hasn't done anything for anybody. The job is there for anyone who wants it. All she did was signed up and ran a campaign -- one that's built on misrepresentations, dirty tricks and deceptions at that. Any other woman, if she wanted to, could have run and mostly likely have done a better job than she did. She is no inspiration.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:46 AM

To quote Bette Davis in All About Eve, "It's obvious you're not a woman."

There are enormous psychological hurdles for women in politics. I really cant explain this to you.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:49 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Inspiration is in the eyes of the beholder and if people feel inspired and they do, then she has been inspirational for them. Not you but them.
This is coming from one totally inspired to prevent her election. Does that make her inspirational to me? If so then multiply her inspirational abilities by both supporters and detractors. It is hard not to have a strong opinion pro or con and to be moved one way or the other by Hillary.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:56 AM

You probably have to be one to appreciate what she's done for women by getting this far in politics, AND for being as tenacious as she's been.

Someone was saying she's never done anything on her own, that she "got where she is" on the coattails of her husband. I think she would have gone as high as she could possibly go in politics no matter what. The butterfly effect really isnt very strong in her case.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:59 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Being first lady did give her exposure. She would have been successful in most endeavors and would have done well in politics without Bill. Would she have made it to this point is only speculative.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:23 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Default coming from a country ruled by a queen...

Actually, whether Bill would have made it to where he got to without Hillary is more likely the truth... They met while she was working on one of his campaigns many years ago.

Imagine where Hillary might have gotten if she hadn't supported her husband for so many years... raised their child... and put her life on the back burner until a time when she could justify seeking her own goals.

Bill did not do her any favors. Most people started hating her because she let him publicly humiliate her and stayed with him.

This is classic sexism. A woman does everything that is expected of her and is hated and held back because she's a woman when she steps out as an independent person....

I don't know how she stayed with Bill for all those years. Monica wasn't the first... But, you've got to commend her for her tenacity, her ability to forgive and her ability for undying commitment - regardless of the personal cost to her.

These really are qualities we need from our President.

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-27-2008 at 09:36 AM..

Old 05-27-2008, 09:29 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Imagine where she might have gotten if she hadn't supported him for so many years... raised their child... and put her life on the back burner until a time when she could justify seeking her own goals.

Bill did not do her any favors.
I totally agree. I think Hillary would have been far more successful if she had not married Bill. I generally hate divorce, but they are one of the few couples that might benefit from one. But, of course, that's just speculation. They are both good politicians, but Bill has not been good for Hillary (IMO).

Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Actually, whether Bill would have made it to where he got without Hillary is more likely the truth...

Imagine where Hillary might have gotten if she hadn't supported her husband for so many years... raised their child... and put her life on the back burner until a time when she could justify seeking her own goals.

Bill did not do her any favors. Most people started hating her because she let him publicly humiliate her and stayed with him.

This is classic sexism. A woman does everything that is expected of her and is hated and held back because she's a woman when she steps out as an independent person....

I don't know how she stayed with Bill for all those years. Monica wasn't the first... But, you've got to commend her for her tenacity, her ability to forgive and her committment - regardless of the personal cost to her.

These really are qualities we need from our President.
That's so true, you put it so well. And even in spite of all these fetters she moved ahead - that will inspire the women of the future. She didn't give up.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I totally agree. I think Hillary would have been far more successful if she had not married Bill. I generally hate divorce, but they are one of the few couples that might benefit from one. But, of course, that's just speculation. They are both good politicians, but Bill has not been good for Hillary (IMO).
Well, he was kinda hot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections