Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 03:11 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
“Bye, Rhody” is also what the Democrats will be saying to RI’s 2nd congressional district.

We will see what happens, though I wouldn't put much stock in an almost two month old internal poll (that goes for either side FWIW)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 05:57 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 18 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,531,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
We will see what happens, though I wouldn't put much stock in an almost two month old internal poll (that goes for either side FWIW)
I wish i could agree with you, but for some reason people like this guy and dont like the Dem.

No one ever gives a real reason even when pushed. That being said, my entire opinion on this is based on conversation with about left leaning political people who are active on social media and live in Rhode Island.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:12 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I wish i could agree with you, but for some reason people like this guy and dont like the Dem.

No one ever gives a real reason even when pushed. That being said, my entire opinion on this is based on conversation with about left leaning political people who are active on social media and live in Rhode Island.
I'm not disputing Fung is not a strong candidate. He comes across as an old school Rockefeller Republican.
I'm just cautioning about jumping to conclusions about an internal poll from May.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:48 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Quote:
“Bye, Rhody” is also what the Democrats will be saying to RI’s 2nd congressional district.
OK. If that's what the 2nd District of RI wants, more power to them.

Old 07-15-2022, 03:13 PM

1,300 posts, read 959,822 times
If Republicans would put forward guys like this in blue states, they would rout Democrats.

Put up a 'New England' style Republican, one who is not anti-abortion, or anti-gay marriage and who doesnt parrot Trumps election lies, but who will stand up to leftist stupidity, and blue states would turn red nationwide.

Old 07-15-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I'm not disputing Fung is not a strong candidate. He comes across as an old school Rockefeller Republican.
I'm just cautioning about jumping to conclusions about an internal poll from May.
Agreed.

but Idk what anyone actually sees in him, other than simply being a new england republican and staying as far away from controversial subjects as possible.

Old 07-15-2022, 07:54 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,897,602 times
Quote:
Agreed.

but Idk what anyone actually sees in him, other than simply being a new england republican and staying as far away from controversial subjects as possible.

That's ignorance talking. Not trying to insult you, just speaking the truth.

I live in the city Fung was the Mayor of. When he first took over from the corrupt Democrat before him, the city was falling apart fiscally, crime-wise, and in terms of aesthetics.

Fung turned it around completely, to the point where Cranston was named one of the 50 nicest places to live in America multiple years by various rating websites. That had never happened.

And now Cranston has become a Republican stronghold. The Mayor's office, the City Council. And Trump flags are not uncommon to see around here. There was even a major Trump rally in 2020 at the local baseball field.

The reality is a major political realignment is coming, and while Fung's reputation as a moderate and his track record are certainly assets - my district in Rhode Island is simply becoming red.

Deal with it Dems.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
That's ignorance talking. Not trying to insult you, just speaking the truth.

I live in the city Fung was the Mayor of. When he first took over from the corrupt Democrat before him, the city was falling apart fiscally, crime-wise, and in terms of aesthetics.

Fung turned it around completely, to the point where Cranston was named one of the 50 nicest places to live in America multiple years by various rating websites. That had never happened.

And now Cranston has become a Republican stronghold. The Mayor's office, the City Council. And Trump flags are not uncommon to see around here. There was even a major Trump rally in 2020 at the local baseball field.

The reality is a major political realignment is coming, and while Fung's reputation as a moderate and his track record are certainly assets - my district in Rhode Island is simply becoming red.

Deal with it Dems.
I took no offense to your post. I dont live there. you know better on the issue.

Cranston was named one of the 50 best cities to live before Fung took over, in fact, it was named so when his predecessor was in office(2006).

You live there, i dont, but what you are describing sounds like a momentary spike around the time of the financial crisis and then Fung taking over in 2009.

as for the Trump flags, idk, Trump lost the city by 14 points vs Biden, 7 vs Clinton . Flags and yard signs do nothing but speak to the individual, not the overall political leanings of the people. I have never flown a candidates flag or even bought a yard sign, let alone put it up in my yard, and yet, I always vote D.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:34 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,897,602 times
Quote:
I took no offense to your post. I dont live there. you know better on the issue.

Cranston was named one of the 50 best cities to live before Fung took over, in fact, it was named so when his predecessor was in office(2006).

You live there, i dont, but what you are describing sounds like a momentary spike around the time of the financial crisis and then Fung taking over in 2009.

as for the Trump flags, idk, Trump lost the city by 14 points vs Biden, 7 vs Clinton . Flags and yard signs do nothing but speak to the individual, not the overall political leanings of the people. I have never flown a candidates flag or even bought a yard sign, let alone put it up in my yard, and yet, I always vote D.

So we're really doing this? You're gonna try to beat me in my own backyard? Man, Lefties are delusional.

So first of all: The fact that (if true), Cranston was named a top 50 city in 2006 - it makes it all the more insane that it failed to register as such in 2007 and 2008. But then Fung took over and we got back there immediately. (Before the recession was over, so don't go there.)

In terms of the Trump flag and the polls: The present day Republican Mayor, Kenneth Hopkins, beat his Democratic opponent by a full 10 points. And I don't know where you got the Trump spread from, but he won the adjoining town (Johnston) in 2016 - and the entire Western portion of the State.

In the past year or so; pretty much since Biden's deplorable (ha!) destruction of Afghanistan - the approval for Democrats has slid much much further in districts like mine.

But we don't have long to wait to find out - do we?

Old 07-16-2022, 05:24 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Quote:
great zinger ^^^ touche

I think Fung will win with those centrist positions. I hope so, I love Rhode Island and prefer to spend my vacation money in non-leftist political areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections