Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 09:05 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
So we're really doing this? You're gonna try to beat me in my own backyard? Man, Lefties are delusional.

So first of all: The fact that (if true), Cranston was named a top 50 city in 2006 - it makes it all the more insane that it failed to register as such in 2007 and 2008. But then Fung took over and we got back there immediately. (Before the recession was over, so don't go there.)

In terms of the Trump flag and the polls: The present day Republican Mayor, Kenneth Hopkins, beat his Democratic opponent by a full 10 points. And I don't know where you got the Trump spread from, but he won the adjoining town (Johnston) in 2016 - and the entire Western portion of the State.

In the past year or so; pretty much since Biden's deplorable (ha!) destruction of Afghanistan - the approval for Democrats has slid much much further in districts like mine.

But we don't have long to wait to find out - do we?
Biden won Cranston 56.1-42.2

https://www.ri.gov/election/results/...tion/cranston/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 09:34 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
So we're really doing this? You're gonna try to beat me in my own backyard? Man, Lefties are delusional.

So first of all: The fact that (if true), Cranston was named a top 50 city in 2006 - it makes it all the more insane that it failed to register as such in 2007 and 2008. But then Fung took over and we got back there immediately. (Before the recession was over, so don't go there.)

Im not debating that there are republicans in the North east, that you see yard signs or even that the guy is a "good " mayor.

im saying the city when you saw it as its worst, was still a nationally recognized great city.

As for the lists themselves, there are like 40 websites and each puts out its own list and those lists are highly volatile.

for example, as far as I can tell, Cranston only made any list in 2006, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2022

Quote:
In terms of the Trump flag and the polls: The present day Republican Mayor, Kenneth Hopkins, beat his Democratic opponent by a full 10 points. And I don't know where you got the Trump spread from, but he won the adjoining town (Johnston) in 2016 - and the entire Western portion of the State.
R.I. is a small state, so its western precincts with the least population take up large chunks of the map. So yes, while it is true he won the entire western portion of the state; You are comparing(again, not from here, using the name on the map) Foster, with 2,600 total votes 55-43 Trump to Providence a 3rd its size with 55,000 total votes 80-16 Biden.

just a reminder ,Trump did better than Fung and still lost the 2nd. Clinton won it 51-44, Biden 56-42

Quote:
in the past year or so; pretty much since Biden's deplorable (ha!) destruction of Afghanistan - the approval for Democrats has slid much much further in districts like mine.

But we don't have long to wait to find out - do we?
Again, i have fully acknowledged that people like him,my first response was literally that i know liberals who like him. So im not debating that. but you are arguing a wholesale change, and I dont see that.

in your own example, Fung's hand picked replacement winning by 10 isnt all that impressive when he won by 40.

Also, Fung was the gubernatorial nominee and didnt win in the wave year of 2014, and only got 37% in 2018. He got 5,000 votes less than the Republican US senate candidate, and only 10,000 more than the combined 2 house candidates, he lost the 2nd district by almost 30K votes.

but we both seem to agree Fung is considered a good candidate by people on the ground, no need for us to debate the other stuff. apparently thats considered trolling, idk.

Last edited by dsjj251; 07-16-2022 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-16-2022, 12:31 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,901,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Im not debating that there are republicans in the North east, that you see yard signs or even that the guy is a "good " mayor.

im saying the city when you saw it as its worst, was still a nationally recognized great city.

Again, spoken like someone who hasn't lived in Cranston for 18 years like I have.

Cranston has been Republican controlled for a long time now. It was only the aberration during which the Democrats controlled the city that things went to hell.

Then the Republicans too over again and cleaned house before the Great Recession even officially ended.

You seem to think Democrats built up the city and then passed the baton and the Republicans took all the credit.

Nope.

Meanwhile neighboring Providence has been entirely Democrat controlled for decades - and is now facing potential bankruptcy and an escalation in violent crime as it is losing its police force.

Surprise, surprise.

Old 07-16-2022, 12:38 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,565,672 times
As a RI native, let me weigh in. Fung's lead in the polls will fade when the general election starts and his Democrat opponent begins to tie him to the extremist national Republican Party whose politics frighten most Rhode Islanders.

Old 07-16-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
As a RI native, let me weigh in. Fung's lead in the polls will fade when the general election starts and his Democrat opponent begins to tie him to the extremist national Republican Party whose politics frighten most Rhode Islanders.

Man, you are so not psychologically prepared for what's coming

Old 07-16-2022, 01:11 PM

Back in 2012 in Rhode Island's other (First) congressional district which skews more Democratic, moderate Republican candidate Brendan Doherty once led incumbent David Cicilline by nearly 16 points (49.2% to 33.6%) in polls months before the election. Once the general campaign got underway, Cicilline repeatedly tied his opponent to the national GOP. Cicilline ended up winning the race comfortably 53% to 41%. I expect a similar election result, all be it possibly closer, once again.

Old 07-16-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Back in 2012 in Rhode Island's other (First) congressional district which skews more Democratic, moderate Republican candidate Brendan Doherty once led incumbent David Cicilline by nearly 16 points (49.2% to 33.6%) in polls months before the election. Once the general campaign got underway, Cicilline repeatedly tied his opponent to the national GOP. Cicilline ended up winning the race comfortably 53% to 41%. I expect a similar election result, all be it possibly closer, once again.

You're about to find out 2012, politically speaking, was a completely different universe.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2022, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post

And that is pretty indicative of Rhode Island politics in general. The state's voters are far more open to voting for Republicans in local races than for federal office. It explains how the majority of Cranston voters voted for Biden, Clinton, and Obama (2x) for president while electing Republican Allan Fung mayor during this same general time period.

For additional context on RI:
The last Republican to win a federal office election in RI was Lincoln Chafee back in the 2000 senate race. The last Republican to win a RI congressional district election was Claudine Schneider back in 1988.

Last edited by MMS02760; 07-16-2022 at 02:12 PM..

Old 07-16-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
And that is pretty indicative of Rhode Island politics in general. The state's voters are far more open to voting for Republicans in local races than for federal office. It explains how the majority of Cranston voters voted for Biden, Clinton, and Obama (2x) for president while electing Republican Allan Fung during this same general time period.

For additional context on RI:
The last Republican to win a federal office election in RI was Lincoln Chafee back in the 2000 senate race. The last Republican to win a RI congressional district election was Claudine Schneider back in 1988.

Please come back to this thread on Nov. 9th.

Liberal tears are delicious in the autumn.

Old 07-23-2022, 12:23 PM

13,281 posts, read 7,321,255 times
I don't even see any polls on RCP for this probably because the entire state has a population of 1 million less then the city I live in. The county I live in is 9 times bigger then RI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections