Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2022, 11:16 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,769,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Most would say its because Trump accomplished so much the 1st time, even with half his own party resisting his efforts, and the Dems and the media pounding him relentlessly...& he still accomplished a lot, and kept many campaign promises:

https://www.mcleancountyrepublicans....ccomplishments

https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov...complishments/

https://www.gadsdentimes.com/story/o...ts/3671585001/

Trump is also still considered an outsider...not part of the DC establishment, and most HATE the DC establishment. Approval ratings for all things DC and Media are near all time lows.

Trump still polls as the most popular Republican Presidential hopeful, besting DeSantis clearly nearly every time. Trump also beats Biden in the polls (if you believe polls).

I prefer Paul, or DeSantis because Trump is a proven 'UGE spender, agreeing to Trillions more in deficit spending, but I know how the Trumpsters think, which is why I answered your query "why take a chance on Trump?"
You make some excellent points, but let's boil this down to some simple questions.

1) Will there be some anti-Trump Republicans, some Independents and some unhappy Democrats who won't vote for Trump because of Trump no matter what?

2) If the answer to #1 is Yes, doesn't that reduce the amount of votes the Republicans get, increasing the chances for a Democrat to win?

3) If Republicans nominate DeSantis or someone on his level instead, isn't it more likely he will get more of the the anti-Trump Republican, Independent and unhappy Democrat votes?

4) If the answer to #3 is Yes, wouldn't DeSantis stand a higher chance of winning than Trump?

5) If the answer to #4 is yes, why not nominate DeSantis and have a better chance of winning than nominating Trump and reducing your odds of winning?

Old 08-15-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I know your TDS makes you blind to the facts on the ground. If Trump wins the nomination then he has the right to run in the general to face Biden or Kamala. If he loses he loses but if he wins are you jumping on the Democrat bandwagon with a Russian hoax 2 and impeachment 3 for breathing?

You vote for who you want in the primary but if Trump wins you can either stay home or vote for Biden or Kamala in secret in the general.

You want Trump out of the party, then you beat him in a 50 state primary. If you can't, I suggest you deal with it because if a candidate can't beat Trump in a primary, they are not winning in the general.
You seem to be going down the wrong road with me. I don't have TDS. I mock people who suffer from TDS.

BUT I realize a lot of people suffer from TDS and as a result, they won't vote for Trump in a general, but may vote for DeSantis in a general.

It comes down to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
You make some excellent points, but let's boil this down to some simple questions.

1) Will there be some anti-Trump Republicans, some Independents and some unhappy Democrats who won't vote for Trump because of Trump no matter what?

2) If the answer to #1 is Yes, doesn't that reduce the amount of votes the Republicans get, increasing the chances for a Democrat to win?

3) If Republicans nominate DeSantis or someone on his level instead, isn't it more likely he will get more of the the anti-Trump Republican, Independent and unhappy Democrat votes?

4) If the answer to #3 is Yes, wouldn't DeSantis stand a higher chance of winning than Trump?

5) If the answer to #4 is yes, why not nominate DeSantis and have a better chance of winning than nominating Trump and reducing your odds of winning?
Do you want the most votes possible if that person is not Trump or do you want Trump even if that means you get fewer votes?

That is the reality. You will 100% for sure get more votes in the general with DeSantis than you will with Trump. Why not take the more vote option? How does getting fewer votes help?

Old 08-15-2022, 11:22 AM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Quote:

DeSantis has to win in a 50 state grueling primary like Trump did in 2016 and willing to do again in 2024. You just want to hand the nomination to DeSantis and skip the process.

You don't even know if he will run or even win a 50 state primary. You just want anybody but Trump.

What's your plan B, if DeSantis is a bust in the primary or doesn't run?

Old 08-15-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
DeSantis has to win inn a 50 state grueling primary like Trump did in 2016 and willing to do again in 2024. You just want to hand the nomination to DeSantis and skip the process.

You don't even know if he will run or even win a 50 state primary. You just want anybody but Trump.

What's your plan B, if DeSantis is a bust in the primary or doesn't run?
I honestly think this election for the Republicans comes down to DeSantis or Trump.

I think if DeSantis gets the nomination, he wins the general in an absolute landslide.

I think of Trump gets the nomination, he will get fewer votes than DeSantis would get in a general and could very easily hand the election to the Democrats.

A general election is a completely different animal than a primary.

I'm more focused on getting the Democrats out than I am about getting Trump in. That's what it comes down to me.

Nominate the best candidate THAT CAN WIN.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
You seem to be going down the wrong road with me. I don't have TDS. I mock people who suffer from TDS.

BUT I realize a lot of people suffer from TDS and as a result, they won't vote for Trump in a general, but may vote for DeSantis in a general.

It comes down to this:

Do you want the most votes possible if that person is not Trump or do you want Trump even if that means you get fewer votes?

That is the reality. You will 100% for sure get more votes in the general with DeSantis than you will with Trump. Why not take the more vote option? How does getting fewer votes help?

I disagree. Trump has a path and it's clear. He already has 25 states in his pocket and before campaigning. He only needs to win GA, AZ, WI to be 47th President and make record of an underdog that won 2016, lost 2020 and won in 2024. He only lost those states in 2020 by 0.2%, 0.3%, 0.7% and the Pandemic had a lot to do with that.

If he wins PA which he lost by 1% in 2020, he wouldn't need the 3 states above but only 2.

PA
GA
AZ
WI

You think Biden or Kamala are a lock for those states? My money today is that Biden loses them all or just win 1 out of the 4. Either way, Trump is the favorite right now in those states.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I honestly think this election for the Republicans comes down to DeSantis or Trump.

I think if DeSantis gets the nomination, he wins the general in an absolute landslide.

I think of Trump gets the nomination, he will get fewer votes than DeSantis would get in a general and could very easily hand the election to the Democrats.

A general election is a completely different animal than a primary.

I'm more focused on getting the Democrats out than I am about getting Trump in. That's what it comes down to me.

Nominate the best candidate THAT CAN WIN.

DeSantis is 100% for Trump's policies. This country is already divided in ideology. No person will win in a landslide in either party. That is wishful thinking when DeSantis barely won his own state of Florida by 0.4% in 2018 and he has never ran a national primary or general election.

You think running against Trump is like running against Gillum?

Tell me a candidate of either party that has lost the primary and won in the general? I personally think DeSantis is not going to challenge Trump in 2024. They have the same policies and if Trump runs, DeSantis isn't challenging him by dividing the votes and have a Bush Republican take it. Plus he is not risking a bloody primary to risk of losing or losing the base if he wins.

Old 08-15-2022, 12:03 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,200,315 times
I agree SanJuan. Plus, DeSantis must win Florida first, and be re-elected governor. The primary is on the 23rd and the polls so far show former governor Charlie Crist leading Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried.

The polls also show that DeSantis is universally hated by Florida’s registered democrats (although beloved by state republicans). Republicans outnumber democrats in the state by about 100,000. DeSantis’ victory will be determined by Republican enthusiasm and support of independents, which is a large group in their own right, nearly 4 million strong.

Old 08-15-2022, 12:12 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,215,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1978 View Post
I agree. Can't see DeSantis being anyone's VP, especially Trumps.
I don't think DeSantis would want to forego half of his second term as governor to serve as VP. As governor, he has much more influence on getting his preferred policies implemented, which builds up his resume for a future presidential run more than responding to whatever Trump delegates to him. Congress wouldn't comply with his demands as reliably as the Florida legislature does, even if Republicans have a majority in both houses.

Additionally, the vice president needs to call a different state home compared to the president whom they serve with. If Trump keeps his official residence in Florida, there are plenty of VPs he could choose from other states whom he perceives as telegenic, loyal and on board with his priorities.

Old 08-15-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
DeSantis is 100% for Trump's policies. This country is already divided in ideology. No person will win in a landslide in either party. That is wishful thinking when DeSantis barely won his own state of Florida by 0.4% in 2018 and he has never ran a national primary or general election.

You think running against Trump is like running against Gillum?

Tell me a candidate of either party that has lost the primary and won in the general? I personally think DeSantis is not going to challenge Trump in 2024. They have the same policies and if Trump runs, DeSantis isn't challenging him by dividing the votes and have a Bush Republican take it. Plus he is not risking a bloody primary to risk of losing or losing the base if he wins.
DeSantis was a relatively unknown when he beat Gillum. I wasn't big on DeSantis when he ran, but he was obviously better than Gillum. Now that we have all had time to see what DeSantis is all about, he will win re-election by a wide margin.

The nation knows how great DeSantis is now after his excellent handling of everything through Covid and beyond.

Who is talking about losing in the primary and then winning in the general? I'm highly suggesting Republicans to vote for DeSantis in the primary so DeSantis can run in the general.

I'm unaffiliated, so I can't vote in the primary. It's up to Republicans to make that choice.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Trump has a path and it's clear. He already has 25 states in his pocket and before campaigning. He only needs to win GA, AZ, WI to be 47th President and make record of an underdog that won 2016, lost 2020 and won in 2024. He only lost those states in 2020 by 0.2%, 0.3%, 0.7% and the Pandemic had a lot to do with that.

If he wins PA which he lost by 1% in 2020, he wouldn't need the 3 states above but only 2.

PA
GA
AZ
WI

You think Biden or Kamala are a lock for those states? My money today is that Biden loses them all or just win 1 out of the 4. Either way, Trump is the favorite right now in those states.
I get it. Your number one priority is for Trump to get the nomination.

My number one priority is for Democrats to get the boot and I think that is most likely to happen with a candidate that is not as polarizing as Trump. IMO Trump will motivate Democrats to get out to vote against him. IMO Trump will lose a small percentage of Republicans. IMO Trump will lose a good number of Independents.

IMO a Republican losing any votes he could otherwise have is not ideal.

You are focused on Trump's re-election and I'm focused on firing Democrats. Two different things.

It's okay. We disagree. But we both agree that Democrats gotta go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections