Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 04:33 PM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Here is my take.

It's always "possible" Trump can win. I'm just making the case Trump is the most likely to lose and DeSantis or some equal stands a better chance of winning. I want Democrats out. I really don't care who does it. I just want the one most likely to get them out nominated. I don't want any votes left on the table. Can you understand that reasoning?

You do make a great point about the media run mostly by the left attacking DeSantis. The fact is whomever the Republicans nominate, even if it were Jesus himself, will be labelled Hitler, the devil and racist by the left. It's just what they do.

Don't go by just one state. PredictIt has DeSantis beating Trump at this point. I do think DeSantis will get 100% of the votes Trump would get. I don't think Trump will get 100% of the votes DeSantis will get. Maybe 98%, but not all. I don't want to leave those votes on the table. There are Never-Trumper Republicans and Independents. You realize that don't you? Why take that chance?

I agree DeSantis has to earn it in the primaries. If he can't win the primary, so be it. It is what it is. I don't want it handed to DeSantis. I want him to earn it.

Again, I'm not making these observations based on emotions. I get the sense you are getting emotional about this, simply because I'm not fawning over Trump. It "appears" you are Trump or bust. I'm more focused on getting a Republican who will win, so the Democrats get booted out.

You take 1 poll. Las Vegas odds had other polls like Politico and average polls have Trump winning the nomination and beating Biden and Kamala. Why, because they had 2 years to give a good impression about the economy and they failed badly and most people are not changing their minds and the economy is #1 thing in all elections. That's how Trump barely lost in 2020 because of the pandemic. Without that he wins.

Right now Trump has 25 states in his pocket and only needs to win back AZ, GA, WI which he lost in 2020 by 0.4% overall. Add PA which is a bonus and is in play again like Michigan and he has a clear path. Democrats know this that's why they are going after Trump hard and not DeSantis. Trump is the bigger threat now because they know Trump won't be easy to beat and has a clear path. With DeSantis nobody knows. He barely beat Gillum in 2018 in his state by 0.4% and has yet to prove he can win a 50 state primary.

Again, you are wishful thinking. If DeSantis knows Trump is strong with the base he is not going to challenge him because the risk of getting wreck is too high and he would be done in the future. Let's say he goes all the way in a grueling 50 state primary and splits with Trump and the primary goes late into June 2024, the last thing he wants is to go in the General divided and wounded.

My money is: it's not going to happen. DeSantis will support Trump when he runs and even join the ticket. Win or lose, he will get the base of the party for 2028 with the full support of Trump and the base. That's my scenario and time always proves me right.

Old 08-16-2022, 04:44 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,769,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
You take 1 poll. Las Vegas odds had other polls like Politico and average polls have Trump winning the nomination and beating Biden and Kamala. Why, because they had 2 years to give a good impression about the economy and they failed badly and most people are not changing their minds and the economy is #1 thing in all elections. That's how Trump barely lost in 2020 because of the pandemic. Without that he wins.

Right now Trump has 25 states in his pocket and only needs to win back AZ, GA, WI which he lost in 2020 by 0.4% overall. Add PA which is a bonus and is in play again like Michigan and he has a clear path. Democrats know this that's why they are going after Trump hard and not DeSantis. Trump is the bigger threat now because they know Trump won't be easy to beat and has a clear path. With DeSantis nobody knows. He barely beat Gillum in 2018 in his state by 0.4% and has yet to prove he can win a 50 state primary.

Again, you are wishful thinking. If DeSantis knows Trump is strong with the base he is not going to challenge him because the risk of getting wreck is too high and he would be done in the future. Let's say he goes all the way in a grueling 50 state primary and splits with Trump and the primary goes late into June 2024, the last thing he wants is to go in the General divided and wounded.

My money is: it's not going to happen. DeSantis will support Trump when he runs and even join the ticket. Win or lose, he will get the base of the party for 2028 with the full support of Trump and the base. That's my scenario and time always proves me right.
I understand what you are saying, even if I disagree with it.

All I can say is if Trump gets the nomination, please don't start with the "stolen election" nonsense if he loses yet again.

Republicans have a choice. If they choose wrong and stick us with horrid Democrats again, that's on them. They better not claim "rigged election" again.

Old 08-16-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, even if I disagree with it.

All I can say is if Trump gets the nomination, please don't start with the "stolen election" nonsense if he loses yet again.

Republicans have a choice. If they choose wrong and stick us with horrid Democrats again, that's on them. They better not claim "rigged election" again.
Tell you what? I will bet you that the people bringing the 2020 elections everyday in 2024 are Democrats and that they will save "democracy" and if Trump wins a close election, watch the Democrats question it in the courts and media. That's why I want Trump to run, to expose their b.s.

Trump played the same game the Democrats played on him. Don't change the rules now since Democrats were willing to contest the elections if Biden lost in 2020.

You think saving "democracy" will be the top issue in 2024 or economy? I will take the economy.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Tell you what? I will bet you that the people bringing the 2020 elections everyday in 2024 are Democrats and that they will save "democracy" and if Trump wins a close election, watch the Democrats question it in the courts and media. That's why I want Trump to run, to expose their b.s.

Trump played the same game the Democrats played on him. Don't change the rules now since Democrats were willing to contest the elections if Biden lost in 2020.

You think saving "democracy" will be the top issue in 2024 or economy? I will take the economy.
Democrats were the first to claim stolen election when Bush won and then again when Trump won.

That doesn't make it true when Trump claimed it.

Trump's supporters who claim he is the real President because he actually won are only making themselves look foolish.

Yes some rules were changed in an improper way and that needs to be corrected, but there simply was not enough of an effect to change the outcome of the Presidential race.

Trump lost because of Trump, because he was unlucky enough to be in office when Covid took over the world and because it's always a task for a Republican to overcome the media playing an active role in swaying an election.

That said, if Trump loses yet again, I have no doubt his supporters will claim "stolen election" again. They just won't admit he lost.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:45 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Make know mistake, If Trump runs he will win the nomination. He would have to not run and endorse Desantis in order for Desantis to win the nomination. Desantis needs Trump not the other way around. The problem is Trump will not win the general. I am betting his numbers will be the exact same as they were in 2020. Your betting the economy will supersede all the chaos that surrounds Trump. No one wants to deal with the clown show that is Donald Trump. I don't think he will run because losing twice is not something his ego can handle.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Democrats were the first to claim stolen election when Bush won and then again when Trump won.

That doesn't make it true when Trump claimed it.

Trump's supporters who claim he is the real President because he actually won are only making themselves look foolish.

Yes some rules were changed in an improper way and that needs to be corrected, but there simply was not enough of an effect to change the outcome of the Presidential race.

Trump lost because of Trump, because he was unlucky enough to be in office when Covid took over the world and because it's always a task for a Republican to overcome the media playing an active role in swaying an election.

That said, if Trump loses yet again, I have no doubt his supporters will claim "stolen election" again. They just won't admit he lost.

It makes it even for years of the Russian hoax and watching Democrats in the media lie everyday. It helped them in 2018 and 2020. Trump believes it will help him in 2022 and 2024. Democrats made the game, don't change the rules now.

I know when Democrats lose in the midterms the train that the voting laws were racists and Jim Crow on steroids will not be late. They already using that excuse.

Old 08-16-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
It makes it even for years of the Russian hoax and watching Democrats in the media lie everyday. It helped them in 2018 and 2020. Trump believes it will help him in 2022 and 2024. Democrats made the game, don't change the rules now.

I know when Democrats lose in the midterms the train that the voting laws were racists and Jim Crow on steroids will not be late. They already using that excuse.
We all know what Democrats do these days. It's sickening. It's why I left the party.

That said, it's clear part of this for some is the revenge aspect if Trump gets back in.

While it is much deserved, I don't think a 4 year revenge tour is what's best for America. Granted, it would still be better than letting Democrats maintain control, but I think someone more level headed, but strong would be a better choice.

Democrats need to be held accountable, but at the same time the business of the country must also be attended to.

Time will tell I guess.

Here's hoping this country doesn't get completely torn apart. Democrats seem dead set on making it happen.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:22 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
Quote:

In both instances cited here, the R lost the popular vote. I can't recall a D losing the popular vote and winning the election, ever.

Trump won electoral college only in 2016 and nobody said the election was stolen. Bush's second win was dubious- there was some grumbling about the FL recount, but you didn't see this "stop the steal" and "take the capitol by force" garbage.

Apples and Oranges between those two examples and what Trumpers say about 2020.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
In both instances cited here, the R lost the popular vote. I can't recall a D losing the popular vote and winning the election, ever.

Trump won electoral college only in 2016 and nobody said the election was stolen. Bush's second win was dubious- there was some grumbling about the FL recount, but you didn't see this "stop the steal" and "take the capitol by force" garbage.

Popular votes doesn't win the W.H., it's how many states you win. Democrats did questioned the 2016 election. Many called him illegitimate President. Including the hack they call N.Y. Democrat DA, Hillary Clinton and many others in government and by pushing the Russian hoax.

Imagine if Republicans call Obama illegitimate President for years by throwing the hoax and lie evertday on t.v. tying down his Presidency? Democrats wouldn't cry foul or bring the race card? Funny, huh?

Old 08-17-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post

1) Elections are not decided on popular vote. You know that, right?

2) Hillary claimed the election was rigged when she lost and still does today. So do many pundits. Do you not have access to Google, TV and newspapers???

Hillary Clinton said on Wednesday that Russian President Vladimir Putin helped to rig the 2016 election against her

Hillary Clinton Maintains 2016 Election ‘Was Not On the Level’

3) Trump and his supporters claiming they lost the election because it was stolen are no better than Democrats doing the same in 2016 and when Bush won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections