Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 09:53 AM

17,642 posts, read 6,914,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
One could only hope. I just wonder how many GOP seats may be lost due to Roe vs Wade. Seems odd that they pushed that prior to midterm elections. It likely will cost them some existing seats or seats they would have won in close races.
That’s the Democrat and media narrative, thanks for repeating it again. The actual data and polling show the exact opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 09:55 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Link: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/midte...UmYKfn8eJQZQ5g

Just 100 days until the midterms.
Right now I think it could go either way. I don't think you realize just how very angry so many women are to have their status be reduced to that of second class citizens. On the other hand, as inflation gets steadily worse, many are wondering how they are going to keep putting healthy food on the table for their kiddoes for some indefinite amount of time.

The American people on both sides are pretty damn angry these days. Shall we say that the midterms are going to be pretty interesting this year?

Old 08-01-2022, 10:00 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Good they deserve to lose it all BUT will the Reps step up and actually do something or will they wring their hands and wait for 2024?

Old 08-01-2022, 10:03 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
One could only hope. I just wonder how many GOP seats may be lost due to Roe vs Wade. Seems odd that they pushed that prior to midterm elections. It likely will cost them some existing seats or seats they would have won in close races.
which existing seats?

do you think the young Texas Rep who just won a special election will be defeated in November?

what about Henry Cuellar, the Texas Dem Rep who opposes abortion but defeated his Progressive primary opponent, after the Roe decision was leaked and AFTER Texas' heartbeat law was passed?

Maybe you're thinking the "close races" where current Dem Reps are retiring en masse?

Old 08-01-2022, 10:04 AM

8,420 posts, read 4,579,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Right now I think it could go either way. I don't think you realize just how very angry so many women are to have their status be reduced to that of second class citizens. On the other hand, as inflation gets steadily worse, many are wondering how they are going to keep putting healthy food on the table for their kiddoes for some indefinite amount of time.

The American people on both sides are pretty damn angry these days. Shall we say that the midterms are going to be pretty interesting this year?

Well, I would say that if the only thing standing between women being 1st class or 2nd class citizen is an unconstitutional court ruling I'd say you have bigger problems then you realize.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:08 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,901,623 times
Quote:
One could only hope. I just wonder how many GOP seats may be lost due to Roe vs Wade.

Hold on, let me get out my handy dandy calculator and do the math for you on that one.

Please wait.

System processing.

Please wait.

System processing.

Please.....

Old 08-01-2022, 10:10 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

Do you wonder why the Dems nationally aren't focusing their abortion importance at the state level?

I mean, that's where it is now. It's been returned to the States already.

The House of Representatives can reverse course and get more blue like 2018 and pass all the bills they wish, but they're going nowhere. It's basically impossible that either party will get to 60 in the Senate (and Sinema and Manchin aren't up for election).

So if abortion is THAT critical to Democrats/women, then they need to support state-level candidates that won't vote for extreme abortion laws.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:10 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,142,781 times
I predicted an increased misery index. Let me make another. Next spring it will increase again on account of bidens 'rescue act', lots of so called "income" will need to be explained to the irs. With an increased staff, the irs will crawl up many arses, and not the elites, but the small fries.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:12 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
{shrug} predictions are pointless this far out. And those who are waaay wrong will just come back with the usual shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Wake me up in November.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:17 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
If McConnell and McCarthy were competent, they would’ve had SCOTUS punt the Roe v Wade decision down the road until after the election
Coequal, independent branches of government who serve as check and balance on each other. The SCOTUS does not need the permission of the House, the Senate or either major party's campaign apparatus before doing their constitutionally prescribed duties.

McConnell and McCarthy can no more order the SCOTUS to do or not do a thing than you or I can.
Quote:
Which leads me to wonder, assuming that John Roberts is indeed compromised, did the Democrats want Roe V Wade overturned in order to save the Mid Terms?
SCOTUS decisions are not about elections, they are about comporting with the letter and spirit of the US Constitution, particularly the Bill of Rights, as a check/balance on both Executive and Legislative power.
Quote:
I trust nobody in DC, not even the ones that are allegedly on my team.
Now you're onto something.

Discard any notion of team entirely, and then you'll be even closer to where everyone should ultimately be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections