Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 08:32 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times

Advertisements

lake wins!
BREAKING: Kari Lake wins Republican nomination for governor in Arizona primary election. #APRaceCall at 8:09 p.m. MST.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AP_Politi...75814413279232

Old 08-04-2022, 08:55 PM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Trump also called for $2,000 stimulus per person. You seem to have forgotten this fact. Pelosi and the Dems agreed with him on this matter (one of the few times they agreed), but Trump himself was not a true fiscal conservative, and this proves it.
No I didn't forget because he knew the game the Democrats were playing before election so he wanted to neutralize the issue. The Senate Republicans didn't want to pass 2k for everybody making less the 150k. They approved $600 making less than 75k. Mitch had the last word.

It wasn't until Biden won and Kamala was the tie breaker in the Senate that the $1,400 passed for everybody that made 150k. I know a lot of people in GA voted for that. I know a family that got $9,800 check and that's on top of the other 2 stimulus and the extra money from unemployment to stay at home. Everybody is paying dearly today but it worked for Biden for the election at the cost of 2022 and 2024. It was the perfect storm.

Quote:
Because unfortunately, a lot of people are moochers who enjoy receiving government handouts. And let's face reality: even a fair share of those who claim to be opposed to all this government spending will gladly accept anything free which comes their way ... whether it's stimulus, child tax credits, or whatever else. I didn't qualify for any of this, which was fine with me because I didn't need them, and I was highly against them in the first place. It wasn't the pandemic itself which threw everything upside down. It was how the government reacted to COVID, which was a disgrace to say the least. There never should have been any lockdowns, nor any free money handed out. Those stimulus payments were just wound kissers at best.

I agree. Federal government and states behaved badly. More than others but Trump wasn't on the side of lockddowns or forcing people take a drug. He wanted to return to normalcy but he was attacked from the other side and they won. We are paying the price today.

Quote:
I live in Arizona, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions how our Governor race will turn out. I've been wrong before, and this could easily go either way. Hobbs is currently ahead in the polls, but polls have been incorrect, and there are many things at stake. The thing to keep in mind is: even though the economy & border are important issues, there are many other things facing Arizona which are really just as important (water, jobs, education, infrastructure, crime in general). The candidate who addresses ALL these issues, and actually has solid plans in place will have the advantage.

I agree but of all the things you listed, "Protecting Democracy" isn't it, which Hobbs is taking orders from the central DNC.. If Democrats are going to attack Lake as an extremist loony they are going to lose.

This is my opinion looking at history: When the party in the W.H. passes a big bill before the elections, they pay dearly at the polls. Bill Clinton passed the gun ban bill and lost big time in 1994. Obama passed Obamacare in 2010 and lost big time. Trump passed the tax cuts and payed in 2018. Biden will likely pass the new huge spending bill that Sinema just now said she will vote for and I think Democrats will pay in November when people realize how much taxes are going up.

Hobbs has to decide if she is defending that Biden's bill and his agenda or cut off. This is how Lake will attack her. Republicans are more energized than Democrats in Arizona. They lost by a hair in 2020 and lost 2 Senate races in a row. Like the primaries are showing in turnout , Republicans will come out in numbers.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 08-04-2022 at 09:08 PM..

Old 08-04-2022, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
lake wins!
BREAKING: Kari Lake wins Republican nomination for governor in Arizona primary election. #APRaceCall at 8:09 p.m. MST.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AP_Politi...75814413279232

She swept all the 15 counties in the state. The GOP establishment and the Governor went against her and she won all 15 counties and there are still 100k votes still to count.

Republicans are more energized than the Democrats looking at the numbers.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:14 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
She swept all the 15 counties in the state. The GOP establishment and the Governor went against her and she won all 15 counties and there are still 100k votes still to count.

Republicans are more energized than the Democrats looking at the numbers.
yet democrats are crowing that the kansas vote on abortion proves that they're the ones with the momentum.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yet democrats are crowing that the kansas vote on abortion proves that they're the ones with the momentum.

I guess they believe that abortions and "saving democracy" will be the top issues in Arizona and the nation. These people are so out of touch.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:29 PM

284 posts, read 1,020,955 times
Quote:
^^^^^ thinks the "saving democracy" b.s. is in the top 3 issues in Arizona. LOL

500,830 Arizonans came out to vote in the Democrat primary with 49,170 votes left to count for a total of 550,000 votes.

597,706 Arizonans came out to vote in the Republican primary with 142,890 votes left to count for a total of 740,596. This is going to get worse for Democrats in the state.

Democrats are in troubleeeeeeee... Red Wave is coming. Hobbs better call Biden and Pelosi to sign 2k checks for everybody. Nothing else is going to save her.
There are a lot of registered independents in AZ. My wife and I included. I just realized we could have voted, you just need to request a partisan ballot. But we will both be voting for Lake in November.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
There are a lot of registered independents in AZ. My wife and I included. I just realized we could have voted, you just need to request a partisan ballot. But we will both be voting for Lake in November.
I live next your state and spent time in Sierra Vista in the military in the summer of 1992. I'm not deciding for your state. This is just forum fun. If I live in your state I would vote for Lake. I like her command and energy and she is not afraid of the cameras and it's going to help her in the debates. She reminds me of a principal I had in school. I know who am I voting in my state and is not going to be for the ex-Cia Mormon now turned Democrat that payed People magazine to run a touch story about himself.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:10 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
I told you why Biden/Kamala won in Arizona in 2020 by 0.3%. Pandemic and they were offering 2k per person during the election year while Republicans were split and only offered $600. It was a bad idea in the long because We are paying for it dearly in inflation today but it worked for Biden, he flipped Georgia (0.2%)and Arizona (0.3) by a hair and won Wisconsin by 0.7% and that was the election.

If I'm the candidate that the party offers 2K for EVERYBODY making 150k or less while the other party offers $600 for people making 75k or less during a pandemic guess who has the advantage during the election regardless if that messes the economy for a long time for everybody later or you like their politics?

The pandemic threw everything upside because it became which party offered the most free stuff under the most vulnerable moment for the voters. It worked but at the price for 2022 and 2024.

If Kari Lake stays in the economy and borders she wins. All she has to do is tie Hobbs to the Biden's Green New Deal, Higher taxes, inflation and bad border policies. What is Hobbs going to run that Lake is an extremist and likes Trump? Is she is defending the big spending bill Biden is trying to push that Arizonans have to pay more in taxes?

I don't see how Hobbs has the advantage in the economy other than make it personal and attack Lake as this racist extremist. I think Lake wins it if she keeps it economy and border and ties Hobbs to Biden/Kamala. We will see who are the Arizonan people more upset with.

What increase in taxes? An increase in taxes to those making over $400k?? Do you think middle class voters in Arizons or any other state are going to give a crap about that?

Old 08-04-2022, 10:16 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
^^^^^ thinks the "saving democracy" b.s. is in the top 3 issues in Arizona. LOL

500,830 Arizonans came out to vote in the Democrat primary with 49,170 votes left to count for a total of 550,000 votes.

597,706 Arizonans came out to vote in the Republican primary with 142,890 votes left to count for a total of 740,596. This is going to get worse for Democrats in the state.

Democrats are in troubleeeeeeee... Red Wave is coming. Hobbs better call Biden and Pelosi to sign 2k checks for everybody. Nothing else is going to save her.

The Republicans had a contested race for Senate and Governor. Hobbs had no serious competition for Governor and Kelly ran unopposed. You can't draw much in the way of conclusions when one side has a competitive primary and the other did not..

Old 08-04-2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
What increase in taxes? An increase in taxes to those making over $400k?? Do you think middle class voters in Arizons or any other state are going to give a crap about that?

According to JCT (non partisan Joint Committee on Taxation) Federal taxes will increase by 16.7 billion on taxpayers earning less tha 200k and those making 200k to 500k will see their taxes up by 14.1 billion.

It will raise corporate taxes. Companies will pass it to their employees by reducing their after tax wages and job opportunities and consumers. Shareholders will take a hit in value of their pensions and mutual funds.

You actually think the Democrats will pass this huge bill and only the people making 400k and more will pay?

How is printing more money and adding more debt good for the middle class?

When the Democrats will spend $80 billion in new IRS funding to hire 87,000 new agents. That means We are getting screwed but I guess your answer is that is only for people earning 400k and more. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections