Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 03:30 PM

5,756 posts, read 11,672,405 times

Advertisements

This could have a wide-reaching impact on the presidential race, since polls have already shown that Barr might draw up to 4% of the national vote - does he threaten to become McCain's Nader?

Libertarian Convention blog (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/shared-blogs/ajc/politicalinsider/entries/2008/05/25/index.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 03:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,851,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
This could have a wide-reaching impact on the presidential race, since polls have already shown that Barr might draw up to 4% of the national vote - does he threaten to become McCain's Nader?

Libertarian Convention blog (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/shared-blogs/ajc/politicalinsider/entries/2008/05/25/index.html - broken link)
They were saying on TV this morning that he might draw up to 8% of the vote in Georgia which could tip the state if Obama's voters turn out as high as they did in the primary. I think all good Democrats need to send this man a contribution! Actually Barr used to be my Congressman. I know him and although I do not agree with him on a lot of issues except guns, he helped me with my father's burial arrangements and he is an honourable man. I am an Obama supporter but if he were running for something else, I would probably vote for him as I did when he ran here.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:21 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,845,166 times
I am torn between supporting Obama and Barr. I know talk about opposite ends of the political spectrum!!! But I like things about both candidates. Heck the way I'm thinking now I may vote for the Constitution Party candidate. Anyways I'll be watching both candidates over the next several months.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:41 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,279,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
I am torn between supporting Obama and Barr. I know talk about opposite ends of the political spectrum!!! But I like things about both candidates. Heck the way I'm thinking now I may vote for the Constitution Party candidate. Anyways I'll be watching both candidates over the next several months.
If Barr is a true libertarian, meaning he's renounced many of the things he did in Congress, then they're not on the opposite ends of the spectrum. That's the big myth perpetuated by the left in this country, that libertarianism is a right-wing political ideology. Libertarianism is above and beyond the traditional spectrum.

I'm torn as well between Barr and Obama. I'm for completely reducing the size and intrusiveness of our federal government. Getting out of Iraq and other such foreign entanglements is the first step toward doing this. The problem is that Obama favors big government on virtually every other level.

If there were only a guarantee that Obama could get us out of Iraq, reestablish good relations around the world, and then had every other one of his big-government proposals gridlocked. Then he could be voted out of office in 2012 and a true libertarian could take his place, and thus begin the process of dismantling the federal government to its intended size.

I am not happy that all of the three major candidates are big government taxers and wasters.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,851,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
If Barr is a true libertarian, meaning he's renounced many of the things he did in Congress, then they're not on the opposite ends of the spectrum. That's the big myth perpetuated by the left in this country, that libertarianism is a right-wing political ideology. Libertarianism is above and beyond the traditional spectrum.

I'm torn as well between Barr and Obama. I'm for completely reducing the size and intrusiveness of our federal government. Getting out of Iraq and other such foreign entanglements is the first step toward doing this. The problem is that Obama favors big government on virtually every other level.

If there were only a guarantee that Obama could get us out of Iraq, reestablish good relations around the world, and then had every other one of his big-government proposals gridlocked. Then he could be voted out of office in 2012 and a true libertarian could take his place, and thus begin the process of dismantling the federal government to its intended size.

I am not happy that all of the three major candidates are big government taxers and wasters.
Why do you think Obama favours "big government" on every level? He has not said that and his proposals are rather modest and targeted. His heathcare proposal is very modest in which the government would essentially subsidize insurance for those that cannot get it elsewhere through employers or Medicare or Medicaid. I was kind of disappointed in Obama's health program because I favour a full scale National Health program like Canada and the UK enjoy. But at least he is doing SOMETHING unlike the Republicans about the health crisis in the USA. Other than that and education, I have not heard Obama say he wants to spend more money or raise taxes for people that make less than $100,000 ($200K for couples) which is most of us that work.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:14 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,279,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Why do you think Obama favours "big government" on every level? He has not said that and his proposals are rather modest and targeted. His heathcare proposal is very modest in which the government would essentially subsidize insurance for those that cannot get it elsewhere through employers or Medicare or Medicaid. I was kind of disappointed in Obama's health program because I favour a full scale National Health program like Canada and the UK enjoy. But at least he is doing SOMETHING unlike the Republicans about the health crisis in the USA. Other than that and education, I have not heard Obama say he wants to spend more money or raise taxes for people that make less than $100,000 ($200K for couples) which is most of us that work.
The idea that it's the federal government's job to "do something" about every problem facing this country is, in itself, a big government stance.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:20 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,463,189 times
After living in the UK, there is no way I would ever want universal health care here.

People forget that profit drives innovation. Having the gov in charge of health care would be a nightmare, it is because of the gov now that prices are so high with thier over regulation of the medical system.

There is too much gov now, it needs to be reduced.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:53 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,732,412 times
Barring (like the pun?) any unforeseen event at the RNC, Barr will be who I vote for. I won't vote for a presidential candidate with no experience as an elected federal government official... and the dems and reps have nothing to offer, so LP it will be.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:06 AM

889 posts, read 2,412,692 times
Now I have someone to vote for that will be on the ballot. Since writing in Ron Paul's name would not have been counted...and voting for McCain, Obama/Hillary was NOT an option!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections