Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:49 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,071,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
when gas is 15 dollars a gallon in 2 years it WILL start to make sense. Lucky for me, I live in an apartment..Just sold my house.

So I probably will move closer to the place I work...except with todays ressession, there is no guarentee that the place will be open much longer. So All I have is my vote at this point. I don't think either party is going to give me an ounce of help. Im a democrate, but screw them too, they have millions in their bank accounts, even they don't get it.

my Bother inlaw who is a safty officer for one of the major oil companies says that the refineries wont get built because it cost too much money, and they have no reason to spend the extra money. He said, don't EVER expect them to build more.

Why is Argentina only paying 12 cents for gas??????
New refineries have come on line just not in the United States. Why is Argentina gas so cheap? SUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAR Cane being grown in massive amounts and they use if for ethanol. Now how could we do that? Find a new government in Cuba or make peace with this one and get their sugar production back to the days when we were their major consumer. Switch from grain based ethanol to sugar based and ship it across the seas to our refineries or build them there for East Coast consumption etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 08:50 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I work from home. My commute is from the bedroom to the bathroom to the kitchen to my small home office (about 60 feet in all), consisting of a laptop and a halogen light (15 watts I believe).

Does that help?
Me too, I do the same.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:09 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
In the end they can't do much;that is why they keep distrcting the people with hearing in which they mouthoff about oil comanies. This distracts the american people from the fact thaty we have fallen behind the wrold in nuclear energy and bacially in not drilling we will use more and more foreign oiul and the econmies of those ****ries are growth while our will strink from the drain.WE have become the largest produer of methnol but we are much different from many smaller countries in that it can only get to 10% of our need at most.Then there is the ditribution of it by truck as it is corrosive to pipelines.Oil will be the dominate fuel for decades to come and we need to supply more of our own ;not less.Otherwise we will keep sending huge ampunt s of money overseas.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:23 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Quote:
Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh we agree again. Hmmmmm maybe there is a core truth and way out of our mess if we can find the right candidate next time.
Then why would you support a dem for president? That type of insane energy policy would continue.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:27 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,183,510 times
Oil companies here in the USA are actually closing refineries. Most of these arguments about oil are bogus but they keep the population thinking that the oil companies can't do anything about it and it's someone else's fault.

In the meantime, you can vote for Obama! He will buy you an electric car! Remote Control Speed Race Car : Hobbies & Toys from Overstock.com

Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Then why would you support a dem for president? That type of insane energy policy would continue.
The republicans were in complete control for 6 years. If the laws needed to be changed, they had ample time to do so. Objviously, creating a false restricted supply and encouraging more and more growth, was good for the principles in the oil companies. As an owner, people are satisfied with a mere .40 dividend while those in charge takes million and millions in salaries, bonuses, stock options, etc.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:29 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,183,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
None of the candidates will do anything about the current energy policy. Both McCain and Obama voted FOR Dick Cheney's energy policy. (I think Hillary might have voted against it.) Obama is as much in the pocket of the energy companies as McCain is.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:33 AM

413 posts, read 783,078 times
Oil is priced in USD, USD is your country currency, wait until this monopoly ends, $135 will then sound like a bargain.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
Oil is priced in USD, USD is your country currency, wait until this monopoly ends, $135 will then sound like a bargain.
It appears that few on this board see our wild consumption of energy as our Achilles heal and the Arab countries can exploit it, as can any enemy who is willing to run the price up. Years ago a banker from the Bank of France told me the Iraq war was to keep the oil in dollars and that is why France opposed the war, because it would make Europe rich to change over the Euros.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:38 AM

289 posts, read 362,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I don't care who is in charge, its getting to the point where I am going to have to move with in walking distance of my work to make it worth working there. WHAT IS THE SOLUTION. Do we need to regulate the oil companies, WHY ARE THEY GETTING AWAY WITH THIS...WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A SERIOUS MELTDOWN.
Don't make the mistake of letting them go to regulating gas prices. We are trying that right now in NS Canada where I live and it doesn't work. Not for the people anyway. We are now at 5.30 a gallon when they first started this a while ago it seemed ok but after a year of doing this every Friday the prices seem to be moving up and never down. Our economy is doing much better then yours but people are finding it hard and are traveling less to say a buck. One thing is that we here in NS have a free health care system meaning no charge for doctors visits, No charge for hospital stays unless you want a private room. No charge for surgeries unless cosmetic etc. I suffered a brain bleed a few years back and had the emerg. Surgery that saved my life. Cost No Charge. I remember telling my husband that if we lived in the States with no health care (we live on a limited monthly income)we would have loss everything. No system is prefect and not every system works in every Province but each one has their own and our works the best for the people.

I really don't think there is a quick fix for the high price of gas. Something has to be done and while they all fight and bicker over what is the right thing to do our Countries and people are the ones to pay the price. I love living in Canada and would never want to have to deal with what you people are dealing with there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections