Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 09:35 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I haven’t been able to verify, but I saw on a comment on another website that apparently 11,000 or so folks who voted for Begich didn’t choose a second/third/fourth choice. Again, I don’t know if this is true.

I wonder how many people were confused about how ranked choice works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I don't think it's Trump unlike the media calls it. Rick Perry, Nikki Haley, Gingrich, Stefanik also endorsed Palin.

Begich was endorsed by the Alaska GOP Party and American Prosperity ( Koch) money. They put 10 times more money on him than Palin and Peltola had combine.

Again, it's more about money and power in the GOP in the state. We will have to wait in the general because 50% of the electorate didn't vote. You think if Trump doesn't endorse, We would have a different result? The question is if the State GOP and American Prosperity will again give him more than 10 times a war chest for the general and if he will go after Peltola in which she was ignored in the special election.
When it comes down to it, Peltola won because Palin only received about 50% of Begich 2nd choice voters. The other 50% of Begich voters either ranked Peltola 2nd or left it blank.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:36 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Alaska primaries are weird. You had 1 Democrat and 2 Republicans in the same special election.

Penolta (D) 39.6%
Palin (R) 31%
Begich (R) 28%

Unless the 28% of the Republicans stay home. Palin should win the general since it will be 2. I don't know why are you surprised. This is the only way a Democrat wins that seat for now. The general will be different. All the polls have it safe red in the general.
Oops.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:41 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Democrat Mary Peltola won the special election to fill Alaska's House seat for the remainder of 2022, according to unofficial results released by the Alaska Division of Elections, thwarting former Gov. Sarah Palin's bid at a political comeback -- at least for a few months.

Peltola emerged as the victor Wednesday when Alaska's Division of Elections tabulated ranked-choice ballots in the state's first use of the system.
With her victory, the former state lawmaker will fill the remainder of the term of the late Rep. Don Young, who died in March after holding the state's House seat for 49 years, and is set to become the first Alaska Native to represent the state in Congress.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/31/polit...ots/index.html

This is surprising to me with how Red Alaska is. Guess the MAGAS are already getting Trumped in the general
I thought it was an April Fool’s joke when I saw it on another web site

Old 08-31-2022, 11:42 PM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Default Another one bites the dust - Alaska version

Sarah Palin won't be going anywhere very soon.

"Democrat Mary Peltola won the special election to fill Alaska's House seat for the remainder of 2022, according to unofficial results released by the Alaska Division of Elections, thwarting former Gov. Sarah Palin's bid at a political comeback -- at least for a few months."

Pertola flips the seat away from the GOP and is the first Alaska native in Congress.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:52 PM

3,113 posts, read 939,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Sarah Palin won't be going anywhere very soon.

"Democrat Mary Peltola won the special election to fill Alaska's House seat for the remainder of 2022, according to unofficial results released by the Alaska Division of Elections, thwarting former Gov. Sarah Palin's bid at a political comeback -- at least for a few months."

Pertola flips the seat away from the GOP and is the first Alaska native in Congress.

It was two Republicans vs 1 Democrat. Mistake on the part of Republicans, the Democrats forced their other candidate out (Gross) forcing the votes behind Peltola and having two Republicans (Begich and Palin) split the Republican vote.

Old 09-01-2022, 03:25 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,115,126 times
This is the second time a Democrat has pulled off an upset win in Special Elections in a little over a week~
First Pat Ryan beat Marc Molinaro in New York

Quote:

Democrat predicted to lose in NY swing district BEATS Republican opponent

Ryan ran his campaign largely on the rollback of abortion rights, while Molinaro focused on the economic burden everyday Americans are feeling under record inflation and a sinking stock market. Ryan defeated Molinaro 51.3 percent to 48.7 percent, with 99% of the vote counted.
Midterm elections are usually miserable for the party in power, and with inflation high and President Joe Biden's approval rating low, Republicans are anticipating a typical landslide. While it may still end up a solid GOP year, Ryan's win is the latest indication that Democrats don't have to abandon hope just yet.

read the rest of the article here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-results.html
And now Sarah Palin loses to Democrat Mary Peltola

Quote:
Sarah Palin Loses Alaska Special Election House Race to Democrat Mary Peltola

https://www.wsj.com/articles/alaska-...ce-11661962475

Old 09-01-2022, 03:54 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician5thGrade View Post
GOP is going to get wiped out in November. They chose to die on the Authoritarian rule (MAGA) hill.
The Republican party can re-invent itself after Trump, but, my advice, get the Religious Right out of the Republican party, they're only dragging the party into the mud. Let them start their own party.

Old 09-01-2022, 03:59 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician5thGrade View Post
I think the GOP is in trouble as a national party. They are too far right. Going to pay dearly unless they get back to the middle.
They should focus on unity, and I have dim hopes that's going happen. It might help to evict the Religious Right.

Old 09-01-2022, 05:53 AM

1,203 posts, read 618,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
It was two Republicans vs 1 Democrat. Mistake on the part of Republicans, the Democrats forced their other candidate out (Gross) forcing the votes behind Peltola and having two Republicans (Begich and Palin) split the Republican vote.
The reason Palin lost was because only a bit over 50% of Begich voters ranked Palin as second choice. If Palin would have been ranked by more of her voters, than she would have won.

Old 09-01-2022, 06:01 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Alaska primaries are weird. You had 1 Democrat and 2 Republicans in the same special election.

Penolta (D) 39.6%
Palin (R) 31%
Begich (R) 28%

Unless the 28% of the Republicans stay home. Palin should win the general since it will be 2. I don't know why are you surprised. This is the only way a Democrat wins that seat for now. The general will be different. All the polls have it safe red in the general.
There is a reason why Democrats pushed ranked choice voting in Alaska. It's the only way they have a chance of winning in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections