Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 10:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 8,009,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Have you forgotten that Trump won with fewer votes than Clinton? And he has not gotten more popular with voters, especially independent voters, since then.

Registered voters by party, 2020

Independents, 34%
Ds, 33%
Rs, 29%

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-and-religion/

I agree with you though, that much depends on what happens this November.

He won a tight race in 2016 and lost a tight race in 2020.

Should he run in 2024 there will likely be a rematch. Voters will have one of two choices: Go with Trump again or another four years with Biden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What a silly poll. Why would Trump who is not even on the ticket in November and still has not declared if he will even run in 2024 have anything to do with swaying independent voters to either side?

The way this independent voter sees it, the Dems have been on a rampage of destruction since before Trump won in 2016. They have been assaulting the very foundations of America and since Biden took over has there been anything positive at all? On day one he signed all those EO's half of which were out of spite for Trump and a slap in the face to Americans. We are now paying the price as we live through the greatest "I told you so" Ever.

I like Trump but I do not love him and I would actually rather he didn't run again because the Democrats were ugly enough when he was President and I fear another stint would send them over the edge and that is not good for America. Of course anyone with an "R" next to their name is going to receive the wrath of the Dems and their media machine so it will be ugly no matter.

Do you like Open Borders, Inflation, Rising Crime and all the other nonsense that the Dems are ramming through then vote for a Democrat. If not then vote for America.

I agree 30% of the country might well end up in therapy should Trump run/win in 2024 but... that's just too bad.

And I can almost guarantee DeSantis will be immediately demonized by much of the MSM should he get the nod instead.

Given all the talk about Trump being dead in the water come 2024 you'd think the Dems would want he to run. But no. They are still very worried about Trump. They know full well he has a very good chance against Biden. Just as they also know if they dump Bidden than Harris will have to get the nod (identify politics and all that) or progressives will scream. Can't go with Newsom. At least not in 2024.

Last edited by john3232; 09-04-2022 at 10:23 AM..

Old 09-04-2022, 10:45 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I agree 30% of the country might well end up in therapy should Trump run/win in 2024 but... that's just too bad.

And I can almost guarantee DeSantis will be immediately demonized by much of the MSM should he get the nod instead.

Given all the talk about Trump being dead in the water come 2024 you'd think the Dems would want he to run. But no. They are still very worried about Trump. They know full well he has a very good chance against Biden. Just as they also know if they dump Bidden than Harris will have to get the nod (identify politics and all that) or progressives will scream. Can't go with Newsom. At least not in 2024.
DeSantis did not go off the grid while people went into the Capitol building chanting “Hang Mike Pence” with a set of gallows, complete with nooses, nearby.

In 2024 I will vote Republican, whichever one gets the nomination, except for one person - Donald Trump. I will never vote for him and I am not alone.

Old 09-04-2022, 12:22 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
He won a tight race in 2016 and lost a tight race in 2020.

Should he run in 2024 there will likely be a rematch. Voters will have one of two choices: Go with Trump again or another four years with Biden.
2020 was not all that close, either popular vote or electoral vote.

popular - Biden 51.3%, Trump 46.8%

electoral - Biden 306, Trump 232

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...sident-results

In fact, when Trump won in 2016 with 306 electoral votes, he called it a landslide. Which it wasn't, which is why no sane person claims Biden won in a landslide.

Trump is not even making a pretense of trying widen his base. Instead he keeps doubling down.

You do know what the definition of insanity is, don't you?

Last edited by jacqueg; 09-04-2022 at 12:33 PM..

Old 09-04-2022, 12:51 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Have you forgotten that Trump won with fewer votes than Clinton?...
Good point.

The man alienates more people every year, he can not grow the base, that's just how it is.

Old 09-04-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
2020 was not all that close, either popular vote or electoral vote.

popular - Biden 51.3%, Trump 46.8%

electoral - Biden 306, Trump 232

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...sident-results

In fact, when Trump won in 2016 with 306 electoral votes, he called it a landslide. Which it wasn't, which is why no sane person claims Biden won in a landslide.

Trump is not even making a pretense of trying widen his base. Instead he keeps doubling down.

You do know what the definition of insanity is, don't you?

Trump won in 2016 with thin margins in the battle ground states. 2020 was was similar although the votes broke for Biden.

With regards to the definition of insanity. I get it. Trump likes to harp on about 2020 being stolen. But the Biden presidency has been rocky at best. More than enough to attack Biden/Dems with esp if Rep score big this Nov.

On the other hand the first step in recovery is admitting there's a problem. And come this Nov. I suspect the Dems are going to have to do a lot of soul searching as to why Reps have made serious gains with all-important Hispanic vote.

Again everything rest on this Nov. If the Rep have a good night esp. candidates which Trump supported he'll probably announce he's running. And he'll be off the a great start.

But if the Rep have just a decent showing and many of the candidates Trump supports lose...it's over. He's not running.

Old 09-04-2022, 01:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Good point.

The man alienates more people every year, he can not grow the base, that's just how it is.
He actually grew the number of votes from 2016 to 2020 as there were more voters due to voting at home. 10m more votes went to Trump. That said nationally he had a larger margin of the popular vote in 2020 against Biden than in 2016 against Clinton. I think for 2020, the stakes were too high to "stay at home" (to quote an LBJ tagline from 1964.)

Old 09-04-2022, 01:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Trump won in 2016 with thin margins in the battle ground states. 2020 was was similar although the votes broke for Biden.

With regards to the definition of insanity. I get it. Trump likes to harp on about 2020 being stolen. But how much this actually hurt him is debatable. Thus Biden has had a rocky presidency at best. More than enough to attack Biden/Dems with if Rep win in Nov.

On the other hand the first step in recovery is admitting there's a problem. And come this Nov. I suspect the Dems are going to have to do a lot of soul searching as to why Reps have made serious gains with all-important Hispanic vote.

Again everything rest on this Nov. If the Rep win big esp. candidates which Trump supported he'll probably announce he's running. And he'll be off the a very good start.

But if the Rep have just a decent night and many of the candidates Trump supports lose...it's over. He's not running.
My point. It doesn't hurt him with its base. But it doesn't do a damn thing to bring more people into his base.

And you are making the mistake of thinking that only R and D votes matter.

More and more, it's the independents who matter.

Old 09-04-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
My point. It doesn't hurt him with its base. But it doesn't do a damn thing to bring more people into his base.

And you are making the mistake of thinking that only R and D votes matter.

More and more, it's the independents who matter.

I agree 100% but suspect when all is said and done independents will vote with their wallets. The suburban mom? I'm sure she isn't thrilled the way Trump conducts his personal life (see Access Hollywood tape.) However, my guess is she's more concerned with her kids education. She'll never admit to supporting Trump but concerns over CRT (real or imaginary) have her worried. Abortion rights? She might support a ballot measure but she might also vote Trump. She just won't tell anyone.

Old 09-04-2022, 03:22 PM

491 posts, read 395,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
There is no question that Trump is hardening his base. We can read it right here on this forum. His remaining supporters get ever more extreme, they resort to increasingly fanciful lies and alternate realities in order to prop up their idol.

The problem for Trump is that this hardcore base is not going to be sufficient for him to win a Presidential election.

The Big Lie acceptance in the GOP is a good way to determine how he would fare in 2024. Right now about 70% of Republicans believe that Biden "stole" the election. A pretty shocking statistic, true. But the fact that THIRTY PERCENT of Republicans reject Trump's Big Lie is a huge problem for him. He HAS to have every Republican vote he can get in order to win - we know this because he barely won in 2016 with a tiny margin.

The great majority of people that don't accept Trump's lie about the 2020 election will never vote for him. It's a bridge too far, even the dumbest voter out there understands the danger of electing someone who in the past refused to accept the results of a certified election.

Trump can enjoy his rallies, he can run his mouth on "Truth Social" all day long, but he is not going to win the Presidency in 2024 if he decides to run. The 30% of Republicans that won't toe the line, that he rejects as "RINOS" are either going to vote Independent, or they won't vote at all.
I believe this to be correct. Yes, the hardcore Trump followers are noisy and so on but it just will not be enough. And the sooner the R party realizes this the sooner they can find a viable candidate. The problem is I don't believe someone like DeSantis is the right one either. Better than Trump? Of course. But he brings a little too much baggage as well. With the candidates such as Biden or Trump then I really feel for this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections