Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:33 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,417,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It was all discussed and debated ad nauseum 40 years ago...get over it. A employer who pays someone less based on their gender is a crook, a cheat, and is breaking the law.

Don't like it? Petition congress to make it legal to discrimintate based on gender...see how far ya get
Of course, when reason fails...

Just because it's law, doesn't make it right. Just as the DC handgun ban oppressed the citizens of that district in violation of the Constitution or governmental segregation oppressed blacks in violation of the Constitution, so too are these civil rights laws oppressive and nearing the end of their days. They're oppressive and detrimental to the economy.

You should be happy. Isn't the only reason you're pro-Obama is because you want a same sex marriage? A conservative court will let states decide that one... You're home free in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,286 times
Default Misleading Thread!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Didnt even have the decency to show up for the vote.

So women should just quit their jobs and go apply somewhere else? What does he propose women do instead of taking the proper legal course?

His response doesnt really say much,

He's missing the point. A woman can ge a PhD and still make less than a Man with a PhD. What then?

[URL="http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/04/23/mccain-opposes-senate-bill-that-sought-equal-pay-for-women/"]McCain Opposes Senate Bill That Sought Equal Pay for Women - America’s Election HQ[/URL]

[URL="http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2008/05/02/the_backward_plight_of_the_working_woman/"]The backward plight of the working woman - The Boston Globe[/URL]
This thread is HIGHLY MISLEADING. The statute at issue would have created a more flexible statute of limitations rule in discrimination suits based on pay equity complaints. The rule, known as the "paycheck rule," creates a new limitations period with every new paycheck - so if you discover years later that you have been paid unequally, you can still recover, despite the lateness of your claim. In 2006, the Supreme Court issued a decision on the statute of limitations issue that invalidated this rule. The Act would reverse that case and restore the more flexible rule. The title of this thread and the Associated Press article makes it sound like McCain does not favor equal pay for women, which is not supported by his vote against the bill.

DISCLAIMER: I am a civil rights lawyer, and I completely disagree with the Court's ruling, and I supported the statute. Clinton was the first member of Congress to propose legislation reversing the ruling. So, while I disagree with McCain on this issue, it's inaccurate to say that he opposed equal pay.

Quote:
H.R.2831
Title: To amend title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 to clarify that a discriminatory compensation decision or other practice that is unlawful under such Acts occurs each time compensation is paid pursuant to the discriminatory compensation decision or other practice, and for other purposes. [URL]http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.02831[/URL]

Old 05-28-2008, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megande View Post
Actually, you are both right. I am a labor economist, and hundreds of papers have been written on this subject (including one of my own). Much of the wage gap between women and men is due to the fact that women do not commit to their job as much as men do (don't go for on the job training, don't work overtime, are more likely to leave, etc). Women are also different from men in other ways that matter for pay, they often have less education, take fewer math classes, etc. These things make up a large portion of the gender wage gap. But there is always some portion that no one can explain. So far, no one has done better than to call this part "discrimination."
Okay, this is retarded. I suppressed myself from replying to the comments before this one, but now I'm just pissed. I can give soo many examples of women who work harder than men, and not just adult working women, but even teenage girls! My own mother goes to work late constantly, often staying past 2 and even up to 5 AM just to make up for the work she missed when taking care of her family. My own high school friends (mostly girls) are taking double math courses so they can skip the grade-level math next year. I know adult women who take the same measures as men just to keep their status in their job(s) and their social lives. Dude, you are effing retarded. Not all women don't commit as much as men. Some, definitely, and maybe more than there should be, but manymanymany women have to work HARDER than men to keep even a lower status. It's stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections