Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 07:25 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times

Advertisements

These polls are consistently wrong, and they oversample democrats every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 07:32 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
It seems voters who are being polled don't feel the same as you. Mr Budd should have a 10% lead on Ms Beasley why doesn't he?
Remember late October of 2016? Hillary Clinton had a double-digit lead in "the polls".

It's highly unlikely that ANY of the polling is accurate. I was approached by a polling person at my house yesterday. How do I know that she recorded my response, especially if she leaned in the other direction.

Remember, the stench of the Biden Administration is on EVERY Democrat, whether they support the senile fool or not. The candidates know it, and that's why they don't want Biden anywhere near them. Even the guy who suffered a stroke in PA wants nothing to do with a Biden appearance. That may have more to do with the fact that he fears Biden may actually be more coherent.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:42 AM

1,517 posts, read 540,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Abortion is a Women's rights issue, and all of the ones I know are pissed and waiting for November to show just how much.

Female voter registration is up all across the country, and I think it's safe to say they aren't registering to give Republicans more power over their bodies. It will be interesting to see the level of voter engagement in the NC college town communities, it could be enough to turn NC blue.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:49 AM

6,011 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
All you have to do is pay attention to the words of the most influential activist judge on SCOTUS, Justice Clarence Thomas. Would you consider his statements to be "disinformation"?

He argued in an opinion released in June that the Supreme Court “should reconsider” its past rulings codifying rights to contraception access, same-sex relationships and same-sex marriage.

“...should reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell” — three cases having to do with Americans’ fundamental privacy, due process and equal protection rights.

I remember when it was argued SCOTUS would never overturn Roe v Wade. They were wrong about that, and they will be wrong about this as well.

Voters are not stupid. It will be reflected at the ballot box.
The opinion of one Justice does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the majority of Justices. In fact, the Majority opinion, written by Justice Alito, specifically stated that the Dobbs decision only affected the issue of abortion. That is where you were spreading disinformation, because you implied that this was the opinion of the Conservative Justices, and actually had a likelihood of occurring. And, if you had read the actual opinion, and not gotten your information from MSNBC and The New York Times/The Washington Post, you would have known that, and would not have your panties in a bunch over an opinion held by one out of nine Supreme Court Justices as somehow defining an "activist" court.

Please use your critical thinking skills instead of regurgitating media stories designed to boost Democratic voter turnout...

Old 09-07-2022, 08:13 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
It's highly unlikely that ANY of the polling is accurate. I was approached by a polling person at my house yesterday. How do I know that she recorded my response, especially if she leaned in the other direction.

Pollsters don't go door to door, other than election day when they go to the polls for exit polling. Look at the polls....they show their method of polling. They do phone and/or online for their polling. You were approached by someone from a campaign.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:46 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Remember late October of 2016? Hillary Clinton had a double-digit lead in "the polls".

Remember, the stench of the Biden Administration is on EVERY Democrat, whether they support the senile fool or not. The candidates know it, and that's why they don't want Biden anywhere near them. Even the guy who suffered a stroke in PA wants nothing to do with a Biden appearance. That may have more to do with the fact that he fears Biden may actually be more coherent.
You almost certainly were not approached by a pollster, but rather a campaign worker/volunteer or someone along those lines doing door to door canvassing.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:50 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:

The problem with your post isnt even that you are wrong about who approached you. Its that you dont understand that polling is a snapshot in time, not a prediction of votes a full month later. LOL

polls arent wrong if the outcome changes in a month, a lot can happen in a month, people can change their minds and vote for the other guy, or people who were going to vote can stay home. This really isnt hard to understand

Old 09-07-2022, 08:52 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
The opinion of one Justice does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the majority of Justices. In fact, the Majority opinion, written by Justice Alito, specifically stated that the Dobbs decision only affected the issue of abortion. That is where you were spreading disinformation, because you implied that this was the opinion of the Conservative Justices, and actually had a likelihood of occurring. And, if you had read the actual opinion, and not gotten your information from MSNBC and The New York Times/The Washington Post, you would have known that, and would not have your panties in a bunch over an opinion held by one out of nine Supreme Court Justices as somehow defining an "activist" court.

Please use your critical thinking skills instead of regurgitating media stories designed to boost Democratic voter turnout...
Of course the Dobbs decision in and of itself had nothing to do with "correcting the error" as Thomas put it, of the following rulings:

Griswold v. Connecticut (a ruling that the use of contraception between two married individuals was a matter of privacy and constitutionally protected)

Obergefell v. Hodges (a ruling in 2015 that same-sex marriage is a constitutionally protected right to privacy)

Lawrence v. Texas (a 2003 ruling deciding that criminal punishment for consensual, adult non-procreative sexual activity, commonly referred to as sodomy laws, are unconstitutional)

Here's a media source that many here may prefer. Fox News gives a good overview of Clarence Thomas stance on these issues.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cla...rriage-rulings

Quote from the article:

Thomas speculated that the overturning of Roe would provide a blueprint for revisiting years' worth of decisions that he says are "demonstrably erroneous". "After overruling these demonstrably erroneous decisions, the question would remain whether other constitutional provisions guarantee the myriad rights that our substantive due process cases have generated," Thomas wrote.

For anyone who has not read it, here is the Dobbs ruling and opinions. It's not a casual read.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...-1392_6j37.pdf

What we can see is that only three conservative justices bothered to issue concurring opinions on Dobbs, and made comments regarding Griswold, Obergefell and Lawrence. We know where Clarence Thomas stands, it's crystal clear that would not hesitate to "reconsider" those rulings. Kavanaugh is more direct and states that he does not think Dobbs "threatens" those prior rulings. Roberts is noncommittal.

So we really don't have good insight into the thinking of all 6 of the conservative justices on Dobbs. And, we have to realize that these are only opinions of the day, which could very well be swayed if a persuasive argument/opinion is made to overturn Griswold, Obergefell and Lawrence.

It is also important to read the dissenting opinion written by Breyer, Sotomayor and Kagan.

From Page 5 of the dissenting opinion:

"The majority (or to be more accurate, most of it) is eager to tell us today that
nothing it does “cast[s] doubt on precedents that do not concern
abortion.” Ante, at 66; cf. ante, at 3 (THOMAS, J., concurring)
(advocating the overruling of Griswold, Lawrence, and
Obergefell). But how could that be? The lone rationale for
what the majority does today is that the right to elect an
abortion is not “deeply rooted in history”: Not until Roe, the
majority argues, did people think abortion fell within the
Constitution’s guarantee of liberty. Ante, at 32. The same
could be said, though, of most of the rights the majority
claims it is not tampering with. The majority could write
just as long an opinion showing, for example, that until the
mid-20th century, “there was no support in American law
for a constitutional right to obtain [contraceptives].” Ante,
at 15. So one of two things must be true. Either the majority
does not really believe in its own reasoning. Or if it does,
all rights that have no history stretching back to the mid-
19th century are insecure. Either the mass of the majority’s
opinion is hypocrisy, or additional constitutional rights are
under threat. It is one or the other
."

~~~~~~~~~~

Point is, nothing in the Dobbs ruling should make any citizen feel confident that Griswold, Obergefell and Lawrence and other protected rights will not be "reconsidered" by SCOTUS, in a similar manner as Roe v Wade. And many of those citizens will vote accordingly.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:11 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Polling shows almost dead heat and some polls show Beasley ahead of Budd. This isn't looking good at all for republicans this election.
I have mentioned in other threads that North Carolina polling hasnt been good for Republicans, and that House Republicans are in blood red seats and campaigning in zombie mode.

I think they (GOP) are nervous because Democrats have House candidates running suicide campaigns with 5 million dollars in rural areas GOTVing, not to forget, they also got a second Charlotte seat that could help multiply the city vote by getting people out to vote for Jeff Jackson who would have stayed home. Then there is Wiley Nickel vs Bo Hines in the only truly competitive race.

The Democratic Piedmont and Plain candidates have been sharing resources and campaign offices , meanwhile the republicans have been sitting at home because they are all expected to win by 30 and have half a million cash on hand.

lastly, Ted Budd has just been bad at fundraising( not that Beasley has been great)

Its about 50 things in one.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:31 AM

1,517 posts, read 540,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I have mentioned in other threads that North Carolina polling hasnt been good for Republicans, and that House Republicans are in blood red seats and campaigning in zombie mode.

I think they (GOP) are nervous because Democrats have House candidates running suicide campaigns with 5 million dollars in rural areas GOTVing, not to forget, they also got a second Charlotte seat that could help multiply the city vote by getting people out to vote for Jeff Jackson who would have stayed home. Then there is Wiley Nickel vs Bo Hines in the only truly competitive race.

The Democratic Piedmont and Plain candidates have been sharing resources and campaign offices , meanwhile the republicans have been sitting at home because they are all expected to win by 30 and have half a million cash on hand.

lastly, Ted Budd has just been bad at fundraising( not that Beasley has been great)

Its about 50 things in one.

Or Republicans are sitting at home because they've been told by a figure of authority that all elections are rigged!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections