Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2022, 05:32 PM

340 posts, read 266,781 times

Advertisements

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...n/10389747002/

September
Minnesota – Sept. 23
South Dakota – Sept. 23
Virginia – Sept. 23
Wyoming – Sept. 23
Illinois – Sept. 29
Michigan – Sept. 29

October
Maine – Oct. 9
California – Oct. 10
Montana – Oct. 11
Nebraska – Oct. 11
New Mexico – Oct. 11
Arizona – Oct. 12
Indiana – Oct. 12
Ohio – Oct. 12
Georgia – Oct. 17
Iowa – Oct. 19
Kansas – Oct. 19
Rhode Island – Oct. 19
Tennessee – Oct. 19
North Carolina – Oct. 20
Washington – Oct. 21
Massachusetts – Oct. 22
Nevada – Oct. 22
Arkansas – Oct. 24
Colorado – Oct. 24
Idaho – Oct. 24
South Carolina – Oct. 24
Texas – Oct. 24
Hawaii – Oct. 25
Missouri – Oct. 25
Louisiana – Oct. 25
Utah – Oct. 25
West Virginia – Oct. 26
Maryland – Oct. 27
Delaware – Oct. 28
Florida – Oct. 29
New Jersey – Oct. 29
New York – Oct. 29

Be sure to vote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 06:35 PM

6,035 posts, read 2,849,862 times
Is it not ridiculous that Minnesota, South Dakota, Virginia, Wyoming, Illinois, and Michigan voters can cast their ballots, for a November election, in September?... There is so much that can happen between the end of September and the Eighth of November that can change the outcome of a race...

Old 09-23-2022, 01:37 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,309,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Is it not ridiculous that Minnesota, South Dakota, Virginia, Wyoming, Illinois, and Michigan voters can cast their ballots, for a November election, in September?... There is so much that can happen between the end of September and the Eighth of November that can change the outcome of a race...
Voters can vote later than September if they want to see "if something happens".

Old 09-23-2022, 02:01 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times
Quote:
As a voter in Michigan, let me assure you that I'm not voting for the freak show that the Michigan GOP has put on my ballot...no matter what happens between now and November 8th.

Last edited by djmilf; 09-23-2022 at 02:30 PM..

Old 09-24-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Voters can vote later than September if they want to see "if something happens".
That is idiotic...

Last edited by FordBronco1967; 09-24-2022 at 11:11 AM..

Old 09-24-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
As a voter in Michigan, let me assure you that I'm not voting for the freak show that the Michigan GOP has put on my ballot...no matter what happens between now and November 8th.
That is an arrogant statement to make. What happens if a Democratic candidate that you voted for dies, or is charged with murder, between now and Election Day? You will have already voted...

And, besides, it is not the Republican candidate who sent Grandma's and Grandpa's to die in nursing homes, is letting orphans starve to death, and took away your right to purchase tomato seeds... Only an evil person takes food from a starving child's mouth...

Old 09-24-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
That is an arrogant statement to make. What happens if a Democratic candidate that you voted for dies, or is charged with murder, between now and Election Day? You will have already voted...
If I fill out and send in my no-excuse absentee ballot, the state of Michigan allows me to recast my vote:

Quote:
If a voter has already voted absentee and wishes to change their vote (because the candidate has dropped out of the race, or for any other reason), a voter can spoil their ballot by submitting a written request to their city or township clerk.
https://www.michigan.gov/sos/electio...o-vote-by-mail

Quote:
And, besides, it is not the Republican candidate who sent Grandma's and Grandpa's to die in nursing homes, is letting orphans starve to death, and took away your right to purchase tomato seeds... Only an evil person takes food from a starving child's mouth...
Governor Whitmer didn't send Grandma and Grandpa to die in nursing homes. She issued an executive order for nursing homes to set up COVID isolation units for those already in nursing homes. She also ordered stores of more than 50,000 square feet to cordon off their garden centers - big deal. And I have no idea where you came up with the wild accusation that she let orphans starve to death.

The alternative put up by the Michigan GOP is Tudor Dixon.

She has no actual experience running anything. She's been a professional actress in some small roles in low budget horror films, worked in sales jobs at several of her father's steel companies, has been a conservative commentator on a minor conservative streaming service, and launched a failed web site that produced conservative-based education lessons for grade school students.

Dixon is on record as saying that a 13 year old girl who was raped by her uncle should be forced to carry the pregnancy to term.

Dixon has also stated that the 2020 US presidential election was stolen from Donald Trump, despite there being no evidence that this occurred. For this stance, she won Trump's endorsement (after Trump's former Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos solicited Trump's endorsement for Dixon). She's calling for an audit of the 2020 Michigan presidential election, despite the Michigan Senate having already stated that there was no substantial fraud in the election that would have changed the outcome.

Dixon wants to eliminate the Michigan income tax, but doesn't have an actual plan to replace the revenues. She's got some vague idea about taxing the tourists who come to Michigan.

Old 09-24-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Governor Whitmer didn't send Grandma and Grandpa to die in nursing homes. She issued an executive order for nursing homes to set up COVID isolation units for those already in nursing homes.
True. But, it is common sense that you do not send sick people to nursing homes, where most of the people are immune compromised. It was absolutely stupid and idiotic of Governor Whitmer to do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf
She also ordered stores of more than 50,000 square feet to cordon off their garden centers - big deal.
Government overreach, and for what purpose? Why is it acceptable for her to do that?

Quote:
And I have no idea where you came up with the wild accusation that she let orphans starve to death.
I misremembered, as I thought she removed all state funding of orphanages. However, Governor Whitmer removed all state funding of pregnancy centers and adoption programs, tax credits for adoptive parents, and housing assistance for pregnant women.

Governor Whitmer supports partial-birth abortion (infanticide), as evidenced by her time in the State Legislature because she repeatedly voted against bills that would have banned partial-birth abortion. Partial-birth abortion involves crushing the child's head and sucking its brains out.

On the issue of abortion, Gretchen Witmer is just as extreme as Tudor Dixon.

Quote:
The alternative put up by the Michigan GOP is Tudor Dixon.
\

Okay. You have established that Mrs. Dixon is a terrible candidate. And, I have established that Governor Whitmer is a terrible candidate. So, why vote for either?

Old 09-24-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
True. But, it is common sense that you do not send sick people to nursing homes, where most of the people are immune compromised. It was absolutely stupid and idiotic of Governor Whitmer to do that!
Sick but stable seniors with COVID were sent from hospitals to COVID wards in nursing homes, often back to the same nursing homes that they came from.

Were you in Metro Detroit when COVID hit here early? I was. The hospitals in the area were absolutely slammed. Moving stable geriatric COVID patients from overcrowded hospitals to COVID wards in facilities that were versed in geriatric care was one of several measures either implemented or investigated. At one point, Wayne County was ramping up the TCF Center in downtown Detroit to be a medical care facility for COVID patients. Would it have better to send Grandma and Grandpa there?

Side note - my father died in a hospital from congestive heart failure during the Omicron spike in December 2021. We literally had to wait days in the ER waiting room with my father, propped up in a wheel chair and placed on an O2 feed. 18 hours into the wait, the ER staff took pity on us and got him a gurney to lie upon in a hallway. He wasn't going to be assigned a bed until someone occupying a bed either died or got discharged. And while we sat in the ER waiting room, they pushed the 20 or so COVID patients off to one side of the room, and the 40 or so non COVID patients off to the other side.

Quote:
Government overreach, and for what purpose? Why is it acceptable for her to do that?
Again, you must not have been here. They shut down or limited access to many, many shopping facilities. I usually had to wait in line for 30 minutes or more to get into a Home Depot. And don't get me started on shopping for groceries and cleaning supplies.

It was a weird time, and most people, including state governors, didn't know exactly what measures would be most effective. The funny thing is that the Republican Governor of Ohio, Mike DeWine, ordered shutdowns in his state that were very similar to the ones Governor Whitmer ordered in Michigan, yet I never hear any complaints about DeWine's actions.

Quote:
I misremembered, as I thought she removed all state funding of orphanages. However, Governor Whitmer removed all state funding of pregnancy centers and adoption programs, tax credits for adoptive parents, and housing assistance for pregnant women.
You're still misremembering. Democratic Governor Whitmer was dealing with a Republican state legislature to pass a state budget. She refused to sign a spending bill that had, among other non-starters, state funding for antiabortion groups posing as pregnancy counselling centers. They finally worked out a compromise bill, after all the political posturing (on both sides) was finished.

Quote:
Governor Whitmer supports partial-birth abortion (infanticide), as evidenced by her time in the State Legislature because she repeatedly voted against bills that would have banned partial-birth abortion. Partial-birth abortion involves crushing the child's head and sucking its brains out.

On the issue of abortion, Gretchen Witmer is just as extreme as Tudor Dixon.
I get that you're anti-abortion, or at least in favor of limiting it to very specific situations. I was raised Catholic, used to be hard-core "Pro-Life" with no exceptions allowed, but I changed my belief on the subject about 25 years ago.

Gretchen Whitmer's votes during her time in the state legislature and her vetoes of GOP sponsored anti-abortion legislative bills don't make me want to vote for someone else.

Quote:
Okay. You have established that Mrs. Dixon is a terrible candidate. And, I have established that Governor Whitmer is a terrible candidate. So, why vote for either?
You have not convinced me that Governor Whitmer is a terrible candidate. IMO, she's doing the best that she can, encumbered by a GOP dominated state legislature that's going to disappear in the 2020's because gerrymandering has been pretty much eliminated in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections