Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 06:22 AM

340 posts, read 266,864 times

Advertisements

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/09...y-voting-2022/

Tell me more about how voter suppression isn't real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 08:17 AM

6,035 posts, read 2,852,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Texas Tribune
At Tuesday’s meeting, commissioners heard from College Station and Bryan officials who expressed that they support having early voting at the Memorial Student Center — but not for this year. They said it would be logistically difficult to accommodate a change back to the on-campus site now because the cities have already prepared notices and materials for College Station City Hall as the early voting location. Tanya Smith, College Station’s city secretary, added that the change would cost additional money that the city hasn’t budgeted for.
The Texas A&M campus is less than one mile from College Station City Hall. If students cannot be responsible enough to walk the .9 miles Google Maps shows to be the distance between these two places, then they are probably not responsible enough to be voting...

There is no voter suppression, here, when logic and facts are applied...

Old 09-29-2022, 02:20 PM

It's not about "responsibility", it's about convenience. Why should they have to walk almost a mile to a polling place, when they could have a polling place right at the college?

Old 09-29-2022, 02:26 PM

6,035 posts, read 2,852,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
It's not about "responsibility", it's about convenience. Why should they have to walk almost a mile to a polling place, when they could have a polling place right at the college?
Did you go to college? I did, and did quite a bit of walking, several miles a day, in fact. Walking from campus to City Hall is probably less than walking from campus to the dormitories. And, the city has said it is too late to change the early voting location. This story is nonsense.

Old 09-29-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Did you go to college? I did, and did quite a bit of walking, several miles a day, in fact. Walking from campus to City Hall is probably less than walking from campus to the dormitories. And, the city has said it is too late to change the early voting location. This story is nonsense.
Again, it's about convenience. Students should have the option of being able to vote without leaving campus. Not everyone is going to want to walk almost a mile just to vote.

I might not have gone to college, but I do know that college is a lot of work. Students are busy enough without having to walk almost a mile off campus to vote, then walk almost a mile back to campus. I just looked it up, and it takes the average person 15-22 minutes to walk a mile, so to walk off campus to vote and walk back to campus would take at least half an hour.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:41 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,909 times
Quote:
Again, it's about convenience. Students should have the option of being able to vote without leaving campus. Not everyone is going to want to walk almost a mile just to vote.

I might not have gone to college, but I do know that college is a lot of work. Students are busy enough without having to walk almost a mile off campus to vote, then walk almost a mile back to campus. I just looked it up, and it takes the average person 15-22 minutes to walk a mile, so to walk off campus to vote and walk back to campus would take at least half an hour.
Why are college students so special? Why can’t everyone have a polling place right outside their front door? This is ridiculous to call this voter suppression. I don’t think expecting anyone to spend 30-40 minutes every 2 years in order to exercise their right to vote is unreasonable. The average college student probably spends more time than that every week on TikTok.

Old 10-14-2022, 07:05 PM

12,990 posts, read 9,516,147 times
Quote:

We never had a voting location on campus when I was in school. Never even thought about having one.

You have the wrong idea about college students. The vast, vast majority goof off a whole lot more than they work. They're not that busy. Most of them are probably registered to vote in their home towns anyway.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:54 PM

6,823 posts, read 14,039,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
The Texas A&M campus is less than one mile from College Station City Hall. If students cannot be responsible enough to walk the .9 miles Google Maps shows to be the distance between these two places, then they are probably not responsible enough to be voting...

There is no voter suppression, here, when logic and facts are applied...

A couple of observations. Texas A&M has nearly 70,000 students so only having City Hall as a polling place is somewhat crazy. Most A&M students will tell you that voting takes alot longer than 30-45 minutes to cast your ballet due to the long lines at City Hall. Secondly Texas A&M is considered one of the most conservative state universities in the country. I'm not sure what Brazo county thought process is here.

Old 10-15-2022, 08:02 PM

17,639 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Quote:

Are you going to accept the results of the 2022 midterm elections, or are you going to deny them like your party did in 2000, 2004, and 2016?

Old 10-17-2022, 02:44 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Quote:

early voting in texas in midterms 2022 is october 24 thru november 4, 12 days, plus the option of voting on election day november 8. there is plenty of time for voters to vote in texas.

also, voters can choose to vote at any voting location in the county during those 13 days.

accusations of voter suppression are ludicrous.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 10-17-2022 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections