Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 08:09 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
The day Beto said he was gonna confiscate people's guns was the day his political career went down the toilet.
He refused to answer that question TWICE in the debate — nobody forgets that in the 2020 debates he said “ hell yes, we are coming for your guns”. Video Tape gets them every time. Video Tape also has Robert Francis supporting Black Lives Matter and Defunding Police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
O'Rourke peaked when he got close to unseating Cruz and has been declining since. He has done a poor job and understanding what that near-success was attributable to which, in my opinion, had more to do with Cruz than O'Rourke. He's out of touch and I expect him to lose to Abbott handily.
You are correct about that 2016 Senate race in Texas. Cruz made a fool of himself at the Republican Convention and it landed in Texas like a turd in a punch bowl. The Texas GOP went into overdrive to try and talk Rick Perry into running for the Senate. Cruz went into overdrive to save his election and managed it due to how Radical Robert Francis is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
Do you think this debate has changed any minds?
I doubt it — Texans know who Robert Francis is and there is all that history and Video Tape on him.

There are 3-4 main issues people will vote on :
#1)Top issue is Texas is the Border and what the Open Border does to Texas. Abbott gets this, RF’O doesn’t.

#2/#3). Inflation, Economy & Taxes. Abbott wins here. Robert Francis has the very odd idea that if we expand Medicaid that will lower Property Taxes (said this in the Debate). RF’O is a True Progressive (anti-gun, anti-fossil fuel, anti-Police) Texas Property Taxes are high, it’s an issue. The bulk of our Property Taxes are for Schools. Revenue from Fossil fuels go to schools among other things — not to mention all the jobs. We must have a Governor that defends our main source of Revenue.

The 2nd Amendment STANDS in Texas. Gun Grabbers do not get elected once they are identified.
It’s why the very popular Democrat Governor of Texas lost to George Bush - Ann Richards.

#4)Robert Francis says the Election is ALL about Abortion - closer to 4th . I had no problem with the Texas Abortion Law when it was passed. Now that SCOTUS has returned Law back to the States, I think it needs some tweaking and expect the Legislature to do that. Robert Francis appears to think the Governor of Texas makes Law (Biden Thinking) - he is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Abbott’s platform last year was the illegal aliens were criminal invaders and potential terrorists- and I tend to agree. This year he stops the rhetoric and gives a free bus ride to potential terrorists, spreading them out over many big cities in our country. How does this benefit anyone? It should be a crime to proliferate terrorism. Yet more than half of people in red states think this stupid stunt is a good thing.
You bet they think busing these invaders to the self proclaimed Sanctuary Cities is a good thing — the vast majority of Texans agree. The “stunt” as the Leftists call it dies one main thing — it brings wide attention to what small towns go through every single day by the 1,000’s and exposes the hypocrisy of the so called Sanctuary Cities that go into Hysterical Meltdown over a 50 person Bus load.

As for Abbott and the Terror designation— Abbot started arresting the illegals on private land (can’t do it on Public Land) and jailing them - he issued an EO Terrorist designation against 2 Drug Cartels last week - 81 People on the Federal Terrorist List have been captured at the border and doesn’t count the 100’s of 1,000’s of GotAways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 08:17 AM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Abbott’s platform last year was the illegal aliens were criminal invaders and potential terrorists- and I tend to agree. This year he stops the rhetoric and gives a free bus ride to potential terrorists, spreading them out over many big cities in our country. How does this benefit anyone? It should be a crime to proliferate terrorism. Yet more than half of people in red states think this stupid stunt is a good thing.
It benefits Texas in that it brings attention to what is going on at the border. The state of Texas has spent billions on the border crisis when it is a federal issue. Other states can share in the burden. I have no problem with what Abbott did. It got y’all talking about it and maybe if the other states could stop whining and start working with the border governors to appeal to the federal government we could fix the issue.

Old 10-01-2022, 08:19 AM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
Pre and post-debate poll:
The little I watched Beto did better than I expected, but it’s always easier to be the outsider than being the governor trying to defend a record. Then I realize what Beto promises isn’t going to be accomplished and what he doesn’t say will be accomplished. He will ruin this state.

Old 10-01-2022, 08:20 AM

340 posts, read 266,781 times
Here's the full debate:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tHS8eVfLH08

Old 10-01-2022, 10:32 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
I should point out that this debate was on a Friday night — the Governor’s Debates are always on Friday nights. Anyone know what people on Texas do on Friday nights in the Fall in every large and small town in the State?

They go to high school football games.

The Debate actually looked pretty well done by NexStar Mediathey chose an interesting location.
Rio Grande Valley

They had one of those dial Focus Groups. Watch that Independent Green Line

Abbott-O’Rourke debate: These 4 issues divided voters- ValleyCentral News

Old 10-01-2022, 03:07 PM

9,984 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
The consequences for our country could be disastrous, theoretically. I realize Dems hate their country and have failed on this issue, but Republicans just took the hatred of their country to the next level by accelerating the failure. There is something genuinely evil about that and I can’t stand behind it.
Why would the consequences be any less disastrous in Texas versus some other part of the country? What obligates Texas to bear the brunt of the risk?

To the extent any such risk exists, I see absolutely nothing wrong with transferring a small portion of it to those who advocate the policies and circumstances giving rise to such risk in the first place.

Old 10-01-2022, 10:15 PM

13,281 posts, read 7,321,255 times
I thought they both did a good job of debating. I want to see Herschel Walker debate that would be entertaining.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:10 PM

13,281 posts, read 7,321,255 times
KXAN had undecided voters vote in real time while watching the debate.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:13 PM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Beto is going to lose. The media has nothing better to do for ratings. We already have baseball, college and NFL most of the week. We don't need more tv b.s. analysis when the outcome has been on the wall already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections