Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 09:52 AM

13,754 posts, read 8,009,665 times

Advertisements

Oh, my from the NY Times...

Why Herschel Walker May Win

Herschel Walker did himself significant good in Friday night’s debate in Georgia. That may be hard to recognize and even harder to accept, given his occasional struggles to get his words out, his passing acquaintance with policy details, his glancing relationship with the truth. But his performance serves as an important reminder to Democrats who’ve taken such heart from — and found such hope in — the blemishes and blunders of Republican candidates in crucial races: Being flawed and being doomed are very different things.

...I could argue that the most meaningful moment in the Walker-Warnock debate wasn’t when Walker loopily held up some sort of law enforcement badge — and was scolded by one of the moderators for breaking a no-props rule — or when Warnock made cutting reference to Walker as an absentee father but when the moderators put a simple bar graph on the screen.

It showed the results of a recent poll in which voters in Georgia were asked to name their top concern. The most common answer, given by about 40 percent of them, was the economy. The second most common answer, given by 18.6 percent, was threats to democracy. Access to abortion came in a distant third. Only 11.7 percent of respondents said that.

...if you thought Walker’s candidacy had already ended, the debate challenged that assessment. It’s not because he dazzled but because he showed up, wearing his team’s colors and making his team’s case and not getting any fresh muck on the uniform. In an era this partisan, amid this much economic anxiety, with a Democratic president whose approval rating remains stubbornly low, that may be more than enough.

https://dnyuz.com/2022/10/16/why-her...alker-may-win/

Old 10-17-2022, 10:05 AM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
Nope. I never said that.

You wrote: "Yes, consistent polling and elections like the one in KS show that a majority of the country rejects the the Supreme Court ruling on abortion"

Sounds like a lot of B.S. to me.

Quote:
That makes no sense.

Of course, the only thing that makes sense it's your opinion. That's why you label yourself as the "open minded" in the topic.

Quote:
Who says that a Constitutional amendment is needed? You keep saying “abortion on demand.” You are not discussing this in good faith.

Yes you do if you are making your opinions a constitutional right and the "consensus" for all. And you are?

Quote:
Nope. I don’t have any feelings towards the term. It’s the term that accurately reflects your way of commenting.

Look another opinion from you.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:10 AM

748 posts, read 339,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Oh, my from the NY Times...

Why Herschel Walker May Win

Herschel Walker did himself significant good in Friday night’s debate in Georgia. That may be hard to recognize and even harder to accept, given his occasional struggles to get his words out, his passing acquaintance with policy details, his glancing relationship with the truth. But his performance serves as an important reminder to Democrats who’ve taken such heart from — and found such hope in — the blemishes and blunders of Republican candidates in crucial races: Being flawed and being doomed are very different things.

...I could argue that the most meaningful moment in the Walker-Warnock debate wasn’t when Walker loopily held up some sort of law enforcement badge — and was scolded by one of the moderators for breaking a no-props rule — or when Warnock made cutting reference to Walker as an absentee father but when the moderators put a simple bar graph on the screen.

It showed the results of a recent poll in which voters in Georgia were asked to name their top concern. The most common answer, given by about 40 percent of them, was the economy. The second most common answer, given by 18.6 percent, was threats to democracy. Access to abortion came in a distant third. Only 11.7 percent of respondents said that.

...if you thought Walker’s candidacy had already ended, the debate challenged that assessment. It’s not because he dazzled but because he showed up, wearing his team’s colors and making his team’s case and not getting any fresh muck on the uniform. In an era this partisan, amid this much economic anxiety, with a Democratic president whose approval rating remains stubbornly low, that may be more than enough.

https://dnyuz.com/2022/10/16/why-her...alker-may-win/

Absolutely.

This is a big reason why polls are off more so these days (polls on races, not issues). There's an undercurrent of motivation that doesn't get captured in polling. That said, this is this a midterm and the party not holding the WH typically does very well. Historically, that would gives Walker an edge (and Republicans in general).

We'll see how it goes. There are a lot of interesting races.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:42 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
Oddly enough, what I took away from the debate was, Kemp will keep his place in the Governers seat.
I always felt that Warnock had this race sewed up, never felt Hershel was a viable candidate. I am still not convinced either. But, noticing that most voters STILL care more about the economy than any other issue really hurts Stacie more than Warnock or Herschel.

I think Herschel probably won a few more votes. No hardcore democrat will vote for him regardless of the outcome but i do know several independents he may have won over.. whether that will be enough to win or not we will see...

I think Stacie takes her policies to the National level after 2 failed bids to lead Georgia.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:57 AM

13,754 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Oddly enough, what I took away from the debate was, Kemp will keep his place in the Governers seat.
I always felt that Warnock had this race sewed up, never felt Hershel was a viable candidate. I am still not convinced either. But, noticing that most voters STILL care more about the economy than any other issue really hurts Stacie more than Warnock or Herschel.

I think Herschel probably won a few more votes. No hardcore democrat will vote for him regardless of the outcome but i do know several independents he may have won over.. whether that will be enough to win or not we will see...

I think Stacie takes her policies to the National level after 2 failed bids to lead Georgia.

Does this surprise you? If so, why.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:21 AM

748 posts, read 339,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

Nobody was going to beat Kemp, Abrams or otherwise. It was hilarious that Purdue tried a run in the playoff too.

I don't see Walker having done anything to win over anybody.

Abrams should stick with working on campaigns, rather than running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Sounds like a lot of B.S. to me.
Do you do this with game scores? Because you can look this stuff up. Oof.

Quote:
Of course, the only thing that makes sense it's your opinion. That's why label yourself as the "open minded" in the topic.
Oh look, another straw man.

Quote:
Yes you do if you are making your opinions a constitutional right. And you are?
You're injecting another argument.

Quote:
Look another opinion from you.
Well, this is a forum, so yeah, opinions are made. That said, you constantly make straw men arguments.

Last edited by anthony_c55; 10-17-2022 at 12:23 PM..

Old 10-17-2022, 11:34 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Warnock is your typical sleaze bag preacher.

Imagine if the Mormon Church takes out loans that they don't want to pay and send the bill to Warnock and his church to pay illegally since it wasn't done by congress. I really doubt Warnock will say it's a good idea.
Sounds like you feel the same way about Raphael Warnock as the people in Ohio, Missouri and Illinois felt about your boys Joe Smith and Brig Young back in the day.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Does this surprise you? If so, why.
It's funny that after Biden won in 2020 that they are shocked that Walker is in the race. People will vote for the economy regardless if the candidate is flawed. Walker isn't running against JFK or FDR. He is running against a preacher that votes 96% of the time with Biden which the majority of the people in Georgia view as a failed president with extreme views.

In a perfect word you expect quality candidates from both sides but this is what it is and this started in 2020 in Georgia electing bad candidates in Biden and Warnock. We know the people of Georgia have buyer's remorse. We will see in 3 weeks if they will keep Warnock or make a change.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Sounds like you feel the same way about Raphael Warnock as the people in Ohio, Missouri and Illinois felt about your boys Joe Smith and Brig Young back in the day.

I'm not Mormon. The difference is Warnock didn't get shot to death in a cell for his believes.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I don't see Walker having done anything to win over anybody.

Of course you do. I believe the Republicans that stayed home in 2020 that helped Warnock get elected by 2% will comeback to the GOP. Now they believe voting for Biden 96% of the time is bad for them and Georgia. The #1 issue in the midterms is the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections