Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 10:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
IRS migration data in recent years has indicated there are net outflows from Florida to other Southern states such as Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. These outflows are substantial but much smaller than the inflows Florida gains from Northeast and Midwest states, plus Puerto Rico and other countries. Use the link below for more specifics.

State-to-State IRS Migration Profile
Bingo…and thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
We don’t want you to move to Florida. It’s full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 10:18 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
We don’t want you to move to Florida. It’s full.
I never envisioned myself moving to Florida. The climate isn't to my liking. However, as erieguy said, alot of people are moving to Florida. That's something you can't stop.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:20 PM

17,642 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never envisioned myself moving to Florida. The climate isn't to my liking. However, as erieguy said, alot of people are moving to Florida. That's something you can't stop.
I love the climate here. It did get chilly a couple days ago, down to 60 at night. And it's still too chilly now. But I'm one of those people who likes sweating.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I love the climate here. It did get chilly a couple days ago, down to 60 at night. And it's still too chilly now. But I'm one of those people who likes sweating.
I like snow. I live in a climate where it's hot 6 months of the year and winters get very little, if any, snow (avg daytime high in January is 52 F where I live). I couldn't deal with a humid, tropical climate very well.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I simply asked how many were leaving in response to the claim you made that folks were leaving Florida seeing themselves doing better in another state
Likely about 150,000. I never said more people were leaving than staying. I'm saying for those who like Florida, there are those that can't live there and leave. I do recall a Black brain drain out of Miami (leaving for places like Atlanta and Charlotte).

Old 10-21-2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Likely about 150,000. I never said more people were leaving than staying. I'm saying for those who like Florida, there are those that can't live there and leave. I do recall a Black brain drain out of Miami (leaving for places like Atlanta and Charlotte).
Never said you did. I simply asked how many were leaving Florida due to seeing themselves doing better in other states and the only answer you had was several until jas75 provided a link to numbers.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Never said you did. I simply asked how many were leaving Florida due to seeing themselves doing better in other states and the only answer you had was several until jas75 provided a link to numbers.
I went looking for articles just to provide an answer. The only article with any decent data was from Business Insider and I don't want to waste my money paying for a subscription. I had to use some math to figure it out.

I don't see Florida as the next best thing. You would have an easier time selling me on Colorado, Idaho, or even Alaska.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I went looking for articles just to provide an answer. The only article with any decent data was from Business Insider and I don't want to waste my money paying for a subscription. I had to use some math to figure it out.
Great to hear. Actual numbers trump the claim of knowing several

Florida is already the big thing as seen with incoming population numbers…and never tried to sell you on it.

Old 10-22-2022, 05:07 AM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
There are also many people leaving Florida because they see themselves doing better in other states.
Many people leaving Florida are 80+ 'ers who retired to Florida in their 60's, and had an active retirement for 20 years, but now need to live closer to family up North for assistance.

Also, many college students establish residency in Florida to get in-state fees, then after they graduate, they leave to start their careeers because Florida has a narrow-based economy with most jobs in hospitality, food service, construction, ag, or medical. That's what I did, & most college pals I had here. We have a lot of major universities in Florida, so that's Ten of Thousands of 20 something's/year leaving, who would prefer not to. It killed me to leave after I graduated.

When the vast majority people leave Florida is has nothing to do with political polls though, or even politics. Conversely, many do come here partially for the political climate like prior posters here have shared. The "Free State of Florida" was a magnate during Covid, & many stayed, and make up part of thee heavily lean Red poll results.

Old 10-22-2022, 05:18 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times
Quote:
Demings is touted as a good candidate, but she's really not. Watch the debate she had with Rubio a few nights ago and see if you still feel that way.

Democrat candidates in Florida and elsewhere are really hobbled by the national party's ridiculous agenda.
It's clear that Republicans who have no chance to make headway in the blue states where they formerly resided have decided to move somewhere where they can vote for candidates that align with their political beliefs. They have decided to follow the sage advice to focus on what is within one's control. Work-from-home options, as well as the relocation/expanded opportunities of companies in Florida, have made the decision a realistic choice for many more people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections