Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 12:20 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
When I visited South Carolina, I saw alot of Florida license plates. That told me there were alot of people from Florida moving to the Charleston area. Having grown up in the Atlanta area, Florida license plates were quite common there.

I never knew how Florida university tuition works. When I was in high school (and even in college), I never thought to apply to colleges in Florida. I was always looking to states like Colorado, Washington, Minnesota, Iowa, etc. I got into a college in Colorado. I stayed in the state of Georgia and finished my college education there because it was cheaper to stay in the state of Georgia. I sort of regret it, but I still have a college education. My field of expertise isn't in the fields you mentioned. For that reason, I never really applied to many jobs in Florida (the few I did apply to were mostly around Tampa). I don't know many people living in Florida. I know more people who lived in Florida and then moved to cities like Atlanta and Huntsville. Most of the persons I know currently living in Florida include: A club promoter (and ex-musician) and a nurse. Another person living in Florida is a teacher (who grew up in Florida, moved to Georgia, and has since moved back to Florida).

My little sister spend a summer in Orlando. She said it was okay, but she couldn't adjust to the place easily down there. She currently lives in Colorado and she loves it out there. She works for a software company.
To be honest, I'm not sure why you feel compelled to drive home the point that you don't like Florida. It's OK, really. Lots of people don't like Florida, or like it as a place to visit but wouldn't want to live there. It is not a bad thing to dislike Florida and desire to live elsewhere. All I would ask of you is to acknowledge that Florida offers things that a lot of people want, which is why a lot of people are moving there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 07:01 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,216,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Except Johnson had zero chance of winning so he did nothing for you, and thinking he could win wasn’t reality.

Except you said they don’t represent the GOP as a whole, and seems to doesn’t mean anything. You’re simply consumed with because Trump/MAGA. Dems have caused the huge influx of folks to Florida with the way they handled the pandemic, and let’s not forget skyrocketing crime that’s occurred in Lib cities.

Such the crusader, yet the 3rd party candidate will never win and you’ll be saying the same thing for years to come.
I have to agree about Florida becoming even more attractive to transplants. Thats particularly true for late career and retirement destinations for conservatives of all stripes. Even without shifting Hispanic voter preferences, Florida was gaining enough older white (right leaning but not necessarily far right) voters to stay safely R. It is a twofer for Republicans as these are the voters who are most likely to vote consistently so the actual voters in the state are even more conservative than the residents as a hole.

It also helps DeSantis' cause that Charlie Crist is basically a crook and has on three sides of every issue. DeSantis got hella lucky the Steyer bankrolled Gillem in 2018 with the hopes of playing kingmaker to the next Obama and that Dems lost their minds in the voting booth to pick Crist. Graham would have likely won 2018 and probably saved the Nelson senate seat for Dems. But since then DeSantis has basically been in line with his voters preferences and that is the expanding base in the state.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:50 AM

1,839 posts, read 677,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post

It also helps DeSantis' cause that Charlie Crist is basically a crook and has on three sides of every issue. DeSantis got hella lucky the Steyer bankrolled Gillem in 2018 with the hopes of playing kingmaker to the next Obama and that Dems lost their minds in the voting booth to pick Crist. Graham would have likely won 2018 and probably saved the Nelson senate seat for Dems. But since then DeSantis has basically been in line with his voters preferences and that is the expanding base in the state.
Perhaps the DNC or the Florida Democratic Party should have encouraged Val Demings for governor over Senate. She'd lose against DeSantis but maybe by a lower percentage than Crist, and it's a losing battle for the Senate seat anyways.

As looks matter in politics, the Democrats also are putting up too many old looking, often gray haired, lower energy candidates against more energetic Republicans. They figured it worked with Biden against Trump, but that was more an exception than what should be the playbook.

Happened with Nelson against Scott, Virginia's governor race last year, Arizona's governor race this year, to mention a few.

Some of the younger candidates they field like Beto or Pete, Mandela Barnes, or even Abrams, are wet behind the ears, and come across like Obama wannabes.

Old 10-25-2022, 12:20 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Except Johnson had zero chance of winning so he did nothing for you, and thinking he could win wasn’t reality.

Except you said they don’t represent the GOP as a whole, and seems to doesn’t mean anything. You’re simply consumed with because Trump/MAGA. Dems have caused the huge influx of folks to Florida with the way they handled the pandemic, and let’s not forget skyrocketing crime that’s occurred in Lib cities.

Such the crusader, yet the 3rd party candidate will never win and you’ll be saying the same thing for years to come.

Only because alot of people are so partisan that they won't consider a 3rd party. Trump didn't do anything for me either. And you could argue that voting for Trump did nothing for YOU in 2020. Trump lost. Answer this for me. What would me voting for Trump done for ME? What would I have gotten out of it? Because the last I checked, I don't think I got much from Trump being President.

So what if I am consumed? Plenty of people on this forum treating Trump and MAGA like it's the best thing since sliced bread, to the verge of worship. I find that to be a bad thing.

And a 3rd party candidate won't win if people don't vote for that candidate.

This is what I know. Trump wanted to expand Stop and Frisk nationwide. To me, that's a violation of my 4th Amendment rights. Gary Johnson is against Stop and Frisk. I like his stance on environmental issues. I'm as pro-gun as he is. I believe if enough people had voted for Johnson, and Johnson was elected in 2016, he would still be President now. He would have done a better job running things.

I don't vote for someone because I think they will win. I vote for them because I want said candidate to win. I vote for a candidate based where I stand on certain issues. This is an election, not gambling.

As for Florida, this is my view. As someone who has studied migration patterns, who is into geography, I also take things rather personally. South Florida is a magnet for the retired and many Latin American immigrants. I also think about who isn't moving there. I start thinking "Florida has some lousy statistics regarding Black Americans". Call it whatever you want. I'm not changing my mind.

I think about why. I have never felt a desire to move to Florida (for a long time I wanted to leave the Southeast entirely). However, when someone put on this thread that Florida was becoming a haven for MAGA types, and in an enthusiastic, thrilled kind of why, I thought "well that just confirms this is about politics".

Last edited by green_mariner; 10-25-2022 at 12:31 PM..

Old 10-25-2022, 12:36 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,200,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I have to agree about Florida becoming even more attractive to transplants. Thats particularly true for late career and retirement destinations for conservatives of all stripes. Even without shifting Hispanic voter preferences, Florida was gaining enough older white (right leaning but not necessarily far right) voters to stay safely R. It is a twofer for Republicans as these are the voters who are most likely to vote consistently so the actual voters in the state are even more conservative than the residents as a hole.

You need to be a DNC strategist. Spot on analysis . Gwen Graham would have been a far more formidable candidate but the Dems drank the BLM Kool-Aid after George Floyd’s death and nominated Gillum, who already had an ethics problem from his time in Tallahassee (and we know things only got worse for him after he lost).

Old 10-25-2022, 12:39 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,200,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
Perhaps the DNC or the Florida Democratic Party should have encouraged Val Demings for governor over Senate. She'd lose against DeSantis but maybe by a lower percentage than Crist, and it's a losing battle for the Senate seat anyways.

As looks matter in politics, the Democrats also are putting up too many old looking, often gray haired, lower energy candidates against more energetic Republicans. They figured it worked with Biden against Trump, but that was more an exception than what should be the playbook.

Happened with Nelson against Scott, Virginia's governor race last year, Arizona's governor race this year, to mention a few.

Some of the younger candidates they field like Beto or Pete, Mandela Barnes, or even Abrams, are wet behind the ears, and come across like Obama wannabes.
I agree. You look at Nadler, Pelosi, Schumer and the top dog, dementia Joe and it’s old, wrinkly and befuddled. Unfortunately, the youth in the Democratic Party is too woke and out of touch with the average citizen.

Old 10-25-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
You need to be a DNC strategist. Spot on analysis . Gwen Graham would have been a far more formidable candidate but the Dems drank the BLM Kool-Aid after George Floyd’s death and nominated Gillum, who already had an ethics problem from his time in Tallahassee (and we know things only got worse for him after he lost).
I thought DeSantis vs. Gillum race was in 2018, and George Floyd's death was in 2020.

Old 10-25-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I agree. You look at Nadler, Pelosi, Schumer and the top dog, dementia Joe and it’s old, wrinkly and befuddled. Unfortunately, the youth in the Democratic Party is too woke and out of touch with the average citizen.
Agreed. Whether Dems control the Senate or not, Schumer should be asked to step down as Majority Leader or Minority Leader, at the very minimum and the caucus select someone away from the coasts. Biden should announce he is not running.

However, the Dems might elect Gavin Newsom, who I don't think will win against DeSantis. But, apparently he does well with black women, who make up a vocal voice in the party, and they could advance him through the Dem primaries.

Old 10-25-2022, 02:58 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Only because alot of people are so partisan that they won't consider a 3rd party. Trump didn't do anything for me either. And you could argue that voting for Trump did nothing for YOU in 2020. Trump lost. Answer this for me. What would me voting for Trump done for ME? What would I have gotten out of it? Because the last I checked, I don't think I got much from Trump being President.

So what if I am consumed? Plenty of people on this forum treating Trump and MAGA like it's the best thing since sliced bread, to the verge of worship. I find that to be a bad thing.

And a 3rd party candidate won't win if people don't vote for that candidate.

This is what I know. Trump wanted to expand Stop and Frisk nationwide. To me, that's a violation of my 4th Amendment rights. Gary Johnson is against Stop and Frisk. I like his stance on environmental issues. I'm as pro-gun as he is. I believe if enough people had voted for Johnson, and Johnson was elected in 2016, he would still be President now. He would have done a better job running things.

I don't vote for someone because I think they will win. I vote for them because I want said candidate to win. I vote for a candidate based where I stand on certain issues. This is an election, not gambling.

As for Florida, this is my view. As someone who has studied migration patterns, who is into geography, I also take things rather personally. South Florida is a magnet for the retired and many Latin American immigrants. I also think about who isn't moving there. I start thinking "Florida has some lousy statistics regarding Black Americans". Call it whatever you want. I'm not changing my mind.

I think about why. I have never felt a desire to move to Florida (for a long time I wanted to leave the Southeast entirely). However, when someone put on this thread that Florida was becoming a haven for MAGA types, and in an enthusiastic, thrilled kind of why, I thought "well that just confirms this is about politics".
Quite the excuse, however, it proves as I said that a 3rd party candidate is never going to win so you got nothing from him.

Lol. Again, me voting for because Trump helped him win in 2016 whereas you voting 3rd party again did nothing for you.

Don’t know what you expect but life is what you make of it. Sounds like you have a lot of complaints but don’t do much if anything to change them. But there was no skyrocketing violent crime and Bidenflation, no border crisis, no war, no Aghan debacle, etc…, so it was pretty fabulous under because Trump, especially with the countless debacles we’ve seen in the last 19+ months.

Nobody is asking you to like or change your mind about Florida, or cares what you don’t like about it. The fact is folks have been fleeing Dem states for Florida like no other time the last few years. Complaining about Florida won’t change that. You seem to think folks are trying to talk you into it while nobody is. It’s better without you.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:47 PM

1,602 posts, read 867,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Add Maryland to that list, I've had that conversation many times.

I imagine similar conversations have been had with people who moved here from IL, NJ, MA, MI, CA, and all the other blue state hellholes.

They didn't just move to Florida. I've got people from California in my neighborhood right now that self-describe as Covid refugees. There were a lot of Republicans living in blue states that had the means to leave when things went to crap. I was thinking about that today along with the fact that the largest cohort of millennials are turning 32 this year and starting families and moving up in their careers and highly likely to become more conservative now that they have something to conserve. I could easily see the Democrats fall to winning only 10-12 states in future presidential elections.

Remind me again how demographic change was going to result in a permanent unassailable Democrat majority?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections