Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 02:48 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post

We've watched many debates, but no one came even close to Trump in a debate

His wit, which is more than just a sense of humor. He was never nervous, and never seemed to be reciting a prepared script.

Especially with Hillary. Not just the debates, but also speech at the 2016 Al Smith Dinner.

What???? Bullies are notorious for having no sense of humor.

Cruelty is not comedy. It is his point, but not evidence of wit.

As for having no prepared thoughts from a leader? I'd characterize that as lazy and certainly not admirable. It's very easy to endlessly grouse and spew wildly disorganized outrage, rant one's resentment and concoct conspiracies to inflame people's grievances and incite uncomfortable hate against their fellow Americans, and quite another to prepare ideas and policies and present plans that offer solutions to work on issues for the American people.

I respectfully disagree with this thread's glorification of the disgraced and defeated former POTUS' speaking & debating credentials.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 10-31-2022 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: punctuation correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 02:13 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm
Fortunately, being able to come up with a thousand one-liners in a debate setting is not a reliable indicator of whether a leader would be able to work with others to find solutions for the country or area in which he was elected. There is, in fact, almost no call for being able to come up with nicknames or one-liners in the job of president. It is a great crowd pleaser, but there's serious work ahead.

SnowMountains replied:
Is the opposite a reliable indicator of leadership? A good debater is better than a bad debater isn't it?

My point is that Trump was not really debating - if you watch his debates carefully, he doesn't reply to propositions put forward, but inserts his own subject matter and resorts to ridicule, which is not really a debating tactic, rather a method of creating a diversion. It's entertainment, not debate. If you want an entertainer, why not get someone who has true entertainment value as a figurehead and let the serious people do the job of president?

Old 11-03-2022, 01:04 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Of course Trump is better at it. He's a do-er. He can actually talk about accomplishments. Lawyers are all talk no action and most of elected politicians are lawyers. Good at bs'ing about what they stand for, criticizing the do-ers who actually accomplish things and holding hearings to nowhere. They're lousy at implementing ideas and solving problems because they have no experience doing anything like that and probably went to law school so they wouldn't have to. So, why do people keep voting for lawyers and then complaining that they never DO anything or they screw up when they try? Beats me.

I exclude lawyers who have also been, governors, business people, military leaders, doctors, etc. They're do-ers, too.

Old 11-03-2022, 02:58 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Well............................ to be fair, he was competing against Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden- two completely corrupt, soulless idiots.
Completely corrupt but never charged with a crime. Okay.
Was it one of them who was fined $2 million dollars for robbing their own charity?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/tr...cal-harassment

Old 11-03-2022, 03:50 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Completely corrupt but never charged with a crime. Okay.
Was it one of them who was fined $2 million dollars for robbing their own charity?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/tr...cal-harassment
Exactly. Neither one of them were ever charged with running a sham 'University' either, and forced to pay restitution to former 'students.'

Old 11-03-2022, 04:05 AM

303 posts, read 128,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Reagan was pretty clever.

Trump was unique in that he was plain spoken and honest in an era of political correctness when many items were off limits. Trump didn't care. He talked like he was running in 1950.
Trump was honest????

I don't think there is a single honest politician on either side of the aisle, but even by the low low standards of politics, Trump was noticeably dishonest. I'm not sure he managed more than two sentences in a row without one lie or another coming out.

Old 11-03-2022, 08:19 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_of_Hull View Post
Trump was honest????

I don't think there is a single honest politician on either side of the aisle, but even by the low low standards of politics, Trump was noticeably dishonest. I'm not sure he managed more than two sentences in a row without one lie or another coming out.
During his presidency, he averaged 21 lies a day.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1790285.html

Old 11-03-2022, 08:56 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,835,413 times
Trump is adored by his followers because he's the ultimate troll. He's got nothing of substance to say about anything important in this world, other than trolling his detractors. Sadly our society has devolved to the point where this is a more attractive trait to his base than it is to defending the right to free elections and/or the security of the nation.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:12 AM

3,282 posts, read 1,418,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The way Joe Biden behaves around children is "rude". The way Trump behaves in a debate is similar to the behavior of a junk yard dog. Exactly the kind of politician I want fighting for me and fighting for America on the global stage. I'm not into the sissy politician look (Beta Odork, etc) or the confused rambling thing (Biden, Fetterman, etc). What I don't want are millions of losers trying to weaponize and use the government against political rivals, which is what the democratic party has become today. A mob of perpetually angry losers looking for stuff (including people) to break.
I’d prefer the actual junk yard dog over Trump.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:20 AM

3,282 posts, read 1,418,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Trump has zero empathy.
I think this is basically correct. I’ve always thought Trump was a psychopath….manipulative, abnormal social behavior, often charming, lacking in empathy. I think he is a textbook example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections