Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 01:33 PM

3,113 posts, read 939,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Wouldn't early voting benefit election boards and their workers, who no longer have to deal with EVERYONE ON ONE DAY! It's kind of like doing that term paper, in parts, before the due date, as opposed to waiting to the last minute before doing the whole thing right before submitting it.
The problem is the media hid an obvious braindead neanderthal until many early votes were cast. This should be criminally investigated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 01:35 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,375,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
You know that a lot of things that are stated as requirements are the floor right, not the ceiling?
So we agree there is no Constitutional requirement for all this "early voting".

Old 11-01-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
The problem is the media hid an obvious braindead neanderthal until many early votes were cast. This should be criminally investigated.
Well perhaps this is a case that demonstrates the problem with early voting. That's why I am wondering if it should be more limited or stopped all together.

Old 11-01-2022, 01:45 PM

748 posts, read 339,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
So we agree there is no Constitutional requirement for all this "early voting".
Your straw man was never an issue. Early voting (no quotes needed) is Constitutional.

Old 11-01-2022, 01:45 PM

13,278 posts, read 7,316,697 times
I find it interesting that many republican controlled states have had no excuse early voting by mail well before covid such as AZ, UT, ID, GA, FL, OH, SD. No one complained then Trump lost and now we have massive complaining. See the logic in that??

Old 11-01-2022, 01:51 PM

13,754 posts, read 8,009,665 times
My guess is this: Those who planned to vote a straight Dem or Rep. early voting doesn't matter. But I think the average voters who isn't sure who they plan to vote for might decide it's a good idea to wait. No need to cast a ballot for 4-5 weeks before the election.

Plenty of surprise yet to come 30 days out.

Old 11-01-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
Your straw man was never an issue. Early voting (no quotes needed) is Constitutional.
I don't think there has ever been a case before the Supreme Court on it. My guess would be it's a matter for the states. Looks like PA has encountered a problem. If and how they deal with it should be interesting.

Old 11-01-2022, 02:55 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
They shouldn't have done that, nor been allowed to do that, in the first place.
I agree but the issue of canceling votes was never raised until some republicans felt that Oz won the debate, now they are whole heartedly in favor. Reminds me of the 2020 election and no excuse voting, republicans never had an issue until Trump lost.

Old 11-01-2022, 02:56 PM

748 posts, read 339,692 times
Quote:
I don't think there has ever been a case before the Supreme Court on it. My guess would be it's a matter for the states. Looks like PA has encountered a problem. If and how they deal with it should be interesting.

Constitutionality, wasn't even the discussion though.

Quote:
I'm beginning to think this early voting needs to be drastically cut or eliminated all together.

Old 11-02-2022, 11:51 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Wouldn't early voting benefit election boards and their workers, who no longer have to deal with EVERYONE ON ONE DAY!
It would, unless you're like Pennsylvania, which does not allow elections boards to count any vote until the polls close.

Quote:
Do you have something against the Constitution? I do not recall a requirement to have "early voting". I think it said the requirement was to have an election day.
Do you have something against the Constitution? The 10th Amendment reads: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Isn't this the argument the conservative Supreme Court justices used to overturn Roe v. Wade?

But now when it comes to conducting elections, the 10th Amendment suddenly isn't a good idea again?

Good Lord, I can't keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
My guess is this: Those who planned to vote a straight Dem or Rep. early voting doesn't matter. But I think the average voters who isn't sure who they plan to vote for might decide it's a good idea to wait. No need to cast a ballot for 4-5 weeks before the election.
And that is their choice. As it should be.

Quote:
Looks like PA has encountered a problem.
Early voting is legal here in Pennsylvania. Registered voters are free to take advantage of it, or may vote in person as they see fit. There's no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections