Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 07:55 AM

3,113 posts, read 939,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It would be easier to make a law that says all debates must be scheduled during the 2 weeks before early voting starts.
I think it's time we aggressively go after the "media" companies who consistently lie, obscure the truth, in order to influence our elections. We can start with breaking them up into many smaller media companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 08:18 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
I think it's time we aggressively go after the "media" companies who consistently lie, obscure the truth, in order to influence our elections. We can start with breaking them up into many smaller media companies.
I can see Fox News being broken up, but NewsMax and OAN are too small for that.

Old 11-03-2022, 08:25 AM

3,648 posts, read 1,602,875 times
I don't care how votes are cast, and I don't care when they set the voting schedule. What matters in voting is four main things:

1. ballots cast are from a legit registered voter
2. only one ballot per voter is cast
3. ballots and votes can not be traceable to the voter
4. votes on the ballot are tallied accurately

The above is what matters. It seems many counties do a pretty good job of the above. At least we think so. But, how do we know for sure? Why isn't there a way to provide proof of all 4 above? Especially a way to show proof YOUR ballot was tallied, and tallied accurately?

Actually it is possible to show proof. You have do it at the precinct level. You have to show every ballot tallied one-at-a-time, either by hand or machine. And record it on camera for anyone to watch. It's that simple. Tally the ballots on camera so we can see the add +1 to the vote selections on every ballot at the precinct.

As for a debate scheduled after early voting- the candidates decide and accept when they debate. They would know , or should know, when early voting starts. And simply choose only to debate before early voting starts.

Old 11-03-2022, 08:56 AM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
I don't care how votes are cast, and I don't care when they set the voting schedule. What matters in voting is four main things:

1. ballots cast are from a legit registered voter
2. only one ballot per voter is cast
3. ballots and votes can not be traceable to the voter
4. votes on the ballot are tallied accurately

The above is what matters. It seems many counties do a pretty good job of the above. At least we think so. But, how do we know for sure? Why isn't there a way to provide proof of all 4 above? Especially a way to show proof YOUR ballot was tallied, and tallied accurately?

Actually it is possible to show proof. You have do it at the precinct level. You have to show every ballot tallied one-at-a-time, either by hand or machine. And record it on camera for anyone to watch. It's that simple. Tally the ballots on camera so we can see the add +1 to the vote selections on every ballot at the precinct.

As for a debate scheduled after early voting- the candidates decide and accept when they debate. They would know , or should know, when early voting starts. And simply choose only to debate before early voting starts.
I early voted on Tuesday. There were 101 races on my ballot. There is no way those can be counted one by one on camera. In addition, although voted at the same place my precinct will vote next Tuesday, I could have gone to any of the early voting sites to vote.

Old 11-03-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I early voted on Tuesday. There were 101 races on my ballot. There is no way those can be counted one by one on camera. In addition, although voted at the same place my precinct will vote next Tuesday, I could have gone to any of the early voting sites to vote.
You had to make 101 decisions on a ballot? That's a bit overwhelming.

If a run-off election has only two or three choices ballots could be tallied by hand and recorded on camera. However, a ballot with lots of selections would be cumbersome by hand, and using a machine to tally votes is ok- simply video capture every ballot the machine counts as well. Think of a video with a split screen- a spreadsheet on one side with the real-time tallies, and the ballot on the other that is being tallied. Simple.

Doesn't matter what precinct you vote at as long as they check your voter registration, and you can't vote again. Rule # 1 and 2.

Old 11-03-2022, 12:37 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
You had to make 101 decisions on a ballot? That's a bit overwhelming.

If a run-off election has only two or three choices ballots could be tallied by hand and recorded on camera. However, a ballot with lots of selections would be cumbersome by hand, and using a machine to tally votes is ok- simply video capture every ballot the machine counts as well. Think of a video with a split screen- a spreadsheet on one side with the real-time tallies, and the ballot on the other that is being tallied. Simple.

Doesn't matter what precinct you vote at as long as they check your voter registration, and you can't vote again. Rule # 1 and 2.
The system Harris County uses has two parts. The first is an electronic voting machine with a touch screen and a printer. You insert a piece of paper in the machine, then go through the screens and make your choices. Once you finish, the machine prints out a piece of paper(or two for me, due to the number of races). You can review your votes on the paper to make sure they were done as expected, but at that point, you cannot make any changes. You take the paper to a scanner and insert it into the slot. The scanner reads the printout and tallies the votes, and the paper drops into a secure container. Those totals are compared to the totals from the voting machines to ensure completeness. The screen on the scanner also tells how many voters have had their pages scanned. On the day I voted, I was number 4,028 that day for that location. Once the election is complete, the scanner memory cards and the voting machine memory cards are taken to a central location to be read and compiled. The early voting data is not compiled until election day after the polls close, but I believe the memory cards are already at the central location.

The machines and the scanner at the voting location are tied together, but not connected to the outside world, ie no internet connection. Harris County has 782 voting locations for election day, and 99 for early voting. That's why it will take most of the night to get all the results in, since the cards from the machines are read 2 at a time.

When you arrive at the polling place you check in with your ID. I just show my drivers license, since that's all that's required once you register, assuming you use your DL as ID to register. I am not sure how they check for whether you've voted or not, but they do. You then get a slip of paper with a number on it, and go to the next available machine, where you enter the number from the slip to start the voting process.

We have 101 races because we vote for judges here, and there are more than 50 of them. There were also some bond elections.

Old 11-03-2022, 12:39 PM

50 posts, read 24,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Many "early Pennsylvania voters" voted before they could see the Oz-Fetterman debate. Should PA modify its laws to let them cancel their vote? And let them vote again on Election Day, if they want to change their mind?

We want to be as fair as possible to the voters, don't we?
That was obviously Fetterman's strategy, to have the debate after early voting commenced.

Old 11-03-2022, 04:19 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Why? Who cares when the debates occur? The debate dates are generally known before early voting starts. If a voter is worried about having the latest information, the can just avoid voting before the debate.
Well, that's another way to handle it without changing voting laws.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
The system Harris County uses has two parts. The first is an electronic voting machine with a touch screen and a printer. You insert a piece of paper in the machine, then go through the screens and make your choices. Once you finish, the machine prints out a piece of paper(or two for me, due to the number of races). You can review your votes on the paper to make sure they were done as expected, but at that point, you cannot make any changes. You take the paper to a scanner and insert it into the slot. The scanner reads the printout and tallies the votes, and the paper drops into a secure container. Those totals are compared to the totals from the voting machines to ensure completeness. The screen on the scanner also tells how many voters have had their pages scanned. On the day I voted, I was number 4,028 that day for that location. Once the election is complete, the scanner memory cards and the voting machine memory cards are taken to a central location to be read and compiled. The early voting data is not compiled until election day after the polls close, but I believe the memory cards are already at the central location.

The machines and the scanner at the voting location are tied together, but not connected to the outside world, ie no internet connection. Harris County has 782 voting locations for election day, and 99 for early voting. That's why it will take most of the night to get all the results in, since the cards from the machines are read 2 at a time.

When you arrive at the polling place you check in with your ID. I just show my drivers license, since that's all that's required once you register, assuming you use your DL as ID to register. I am not sure how they check for whether you've voted or not, but they do. You then get a slip of paper with a number on it, and go to the next available machine, where you enter the number from the slip to start the voting process.

We have 101 races because we vote for judges here, and there are more than 50 of them. There were also some bond elections.
Thanks for those details. We use the same type method in my county. We vote on a screen and it prints a ballot. Then insert the ballot into a tally machine that stores it. It's good but has potential issues. My main point is not a gripe to you, it's just my idea to improve voting integrity. Those tally machines are probably very accurate. All I suggest is to provide proof that they are. We need proof that:

1. the number of ballots cast at the precinct equals the total number of ballots tallied by the machine
2. the machine tallied ballot votes accurately (no miss-reads, skips, etc)

I'm saying provide proof to the public of the above. This would be simple to do- simply have the machine capture an image of each ballot tallied AND the running tally counts, starting at 1 to end, side-by-side, on the same screen. In other words- video capture the ballots counted, one-at-a-time, on video.

The next problem is proving how many people cast a ballot at each precinct. There is a way to do that. Using video.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:35 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
It would be easier to make a law that says all debates must be scheduled during the 2 weeks before early voting starts.
There are no laws that require debates between candidates, let alone when or where those debates take place.

There are no laws that require voters to watch a debate before voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
I dunno about you, but I'm an adult capable of digesting multiple news and information sources before I cast my vote. Your "'media' companies" are only a small part of the information that I seek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I can see Fox News being broken up, but NewsMax and OAN are too small for that.
Heh.

Quote:
Well, that's another way to handle it without changing voting laws.
There are no laws surrounding debates between candidates. Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections