Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 10:42 AM

2,871 posts, read 1,150,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Caveat emptor. Buyer beware. Nobody puts a gun to your head to vote early. If you launch that arrow prematurely, there is no taking it back. Sorry Charlie, that is the breaks. No way you should be able to "reverse" your vote right up to election day. If you don't want buyers remorse, don't vote early.

But then I think early voting is ridiculous anyway. We went 200 years with people having to vote on voting day and it worked better than early voting is working out, but then I hate most of modern life today, so what's just another thorn in my side?
Amen, brother.
Couldn't agree more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 10:48 AM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
And if a candidate refuses to participate in an early debate, then what? Said candidate gets removed from the ballot?
There is no debate requirement. Nobody has to debate. Performance in a debate has no real application or value in relation to the job. Actually, I think the "town hall" format is better than debates. The candidate can take longer to fully answer and not try to rebut the other candidate's stupid responses.

We voters file voter certificates and use paper ballots marked with a pen. The ballot is printed when you present yourself to the judge and confirm your identity, address, and precinct. The certificate simply documents that you voted and is collected separately by a judge. The ballot is scanned by the voter, producing a number tally of votes cast. When I voted last week one of the scanners was wrinkling the paper ballots as they went through the slot, so we were instructed how to carefully insert the ballot properly. The actual problem seemed to be with the printer, not the scanner. That is the only technical glitch I have seen with the system.

As a teenage kid, I worked at the Board of Election Commissioners in a large city on election night. The votes were counted by hand with one guy reading the votes off the ballot and another guy recording the votes for all of the races on the ballot. It was tedious and prone to fatigue. It went long into the night. The room was full of these pairs of guys reading aloud and tabulating votes. Anyone who wants to go back to that hand counting method is nuts.

Last edited by SunGrins; 11-05-2022 at 11:12 AM..

Old 11-05-2022, 11:05 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There is no debate requirement. Nobody has to debate. Performance in a debate has no real application or value in relation to the job. Actually, I think the "town hall" format is better than debates. The candidate can take longer to fully answer and not try to rebut the other candidate's stupid responses.
I was asking a question of a poster who wanted a law requiring that candidates engage in debates. I was not advocating for the removal of a candidate who refused to debate.

As for a town hall style of debate, IMO the one between Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton in 2016 failed to live up to the expectations you state in your post.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:07 PM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
Pretty safe bet half those that voted early will vote for anything associated with the party. ANYTHING. They want the seat not the candidate.

The others assume they don't need another month of news or information. Others view voting as a chore to get out of the way.

Old 11-07-2022, 12:11 PM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
per title and OP question - THREAT TO DEMOCRACY!!

/thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections