Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 05:23 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times

Advertisements

Many "early Pennsylvania voters" voted before they could see the Oz-Fetterman debate. Should PA modify its laws to let them cancel their vote? And let them vote again on Election Day, if they want to change their mind?

We want to be as fair as possible to the voters, don't we?

Last edited by Roboteer; 10-26-2022 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 05:24 PM

6,028 posts, read 2,846,987 times
No, early voting should not begin until mid-October. Preferably, the early voting period should only be the week before Election Day. The fact that any voting took place before at least one debate is a disgrace!

Last edited by FordBronco1967; 10-26-2022 at 05:53 PM..

Old 10-26-2022, 05:52 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
In the past, most if not all states only had one "Election Day", not weeks and weeks of voting. People unable to get to the polls on Election Day, could request an absentee ballot, giving a reason why they could not vote on Election Day (sickness, injury, temporary out-of-state location etc.), and then vote by mail, as long as they had specifically requested it and named an address where the Registrar could send the ballot to.

In many states they could also designate a "trusted person" (spouse, friend, family member etc.) to bring in their ballot on Election Day, filling out the appropriate form on the ballot envelope and signing it.

Now that the panic over Covid is abating, should states return their laws to these original form? It would still let all eligible people vote, while making it much harder for cheating and fraud to take place.

What say ye?

Old 10-26-2022, 05:56 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Many "early Pennsylvania voters" voted before they could see the Oz-Fetterman debate. Should PA modify its laws to let them cancel their vote? And let them vote again on Election Day, if they want to change their mind?

We want to be as fair as possible to the voters, don't we?
Oh, heck yah!

That's how it is where I live. I voted via absentee ballot about two weeks ago. If I wanted to change one or more of the votes on the ballot, I just go down to the municipal building, talk to someone in the clerk's office, identify myself, and request that my previous ballot be spoiled and that I be issued a new ballot.

Why wouldn't that be the case in Pennsyvlania...or anywhere else?

The only issue I see is that it's too late this election cycle. But they can get it right for the 2024 election.

Old 10-26-2022, 07:28 PM

17,389 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Probably their best bet is to protest and demand that Fetterman drop out of the race.

Keeping the voters in the dark about the severity of his condition was dishonest and, quite frankly, underhanded.

Old 10-26-2022, 07:41 PM

899 posts, read 540,929 times
I'm not wild on the explosion of early voting particularly allowing early voting before the debates. It makes no sense and it means politics is no longer about candidates or an engagement between candidates and the electorate.

People in the past had no problems with turning out to vote on election day. Not sure why things should be different. Make it a national holiday if you want. But I'll be generous and agree to a strict two week voting period and all ballots must be postmarked within that two week. No earlier.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:03 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Some states such as Washington have had mail in voting for a long time. In Nevada we now have mail in voting and I love it. You can still vote in person if you want to. As a society we should want people to have more times to vote to encourage more people to participate.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:18 PM

1,044 posts, read 685,680 times
No.

If we would only make election day a national holiday, we wouldn't have to worry about early voting.

But since the US doesn't like giving people the day off to do anything, then you have to accept early voting.

Old 10-26-2022, 10:01 PM

9,880 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Not only are early voters missing out on debate information in some cases they're missing an additional month of information, news, revelations etc. But early voting also means a cover up doesn't have to last all the way until election day. This is another reason early voting in pushed.

Old 10-27-2022, 07:23 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
They shouldn't have done that, nor been allowed to do that, in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections