Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will be the republican candidate
Desantis 35 60.34%
Trump 14 24.14%
Somone else 9 15.52%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 06:46 AM

6,825 posts, read 14,055,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbee View Post
No one in their right mind would want Trump to run again. DeSantis is a way better choice. He actually does things for the masses as opposed to only for himself.

He still owns 25% of the party. Those MAGA folks will simply double down on the insanity.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:01 AM

463 posts, read 288,424 times
Trump is too old, just as Biden is. I think they are both somewhat senile, they just show it differently.
Time of younger people to take over.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:21 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,029,615 times
First, under Florida law, if Governor DeSantis declares for the 2024 election, he is, in theory, suppose to resign his governor seat. However, I'm not holding my breath that he will do that. The law does have some vagueness to it that he can exploit.

Regardless, let us assume that both Mr. Trump and Governor DeSantis decide to run. Now, the schedule has not been set yet, but let us assume that Iowa and New Hampshire are still the first in the nation to hold a primary and/or caucus.

Florida is usually pretty early too (remember how Rudy Guiliani forsook the early states and concentrated on Florida?). I think then South Carolina.

If Mr. DeSantis wins these early states, I can visualize Mr. Trump dropping out, and running as a third party, to prove that he is The Man.

Of course, I still doubt that Mr. Trump will run again. Tuesday's results have made no difference in my opinion. He has done well with raising money with his Leadership PAC; he has spent very little of it on supporting Republican candidates (I saw yesterday where the PAC, with 100 million in the coffers, spend $900,000, a fact that even Mr. Ted Cruz criticized last week). What does he spend the money on? He is not obligated to report details, but I bet on salaries to himself and family members, money to his country clubs, and perhaps paying expenses for his airplane. If he runs, he must distance himself from the Leadership PAC.

Nevertheless, I think that if Mr. Trump runs, there is a real danger, to the GOP, that he will switch to an independent status if things aren't going his way.

Is is logical? No.

Is it supportive of his party? No.

Is it Trumpian? Yes.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:14 AM

1,838 posts, read 680,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
First, under Florida law, if Governor DeSantis declares for the 2024 election, he is, in theory, suppose to resign his governor seat. However, I'm not holding my breath that he will do that. The law does have some vagueness to it that he can exploit.

Regardless, let us assume that both Mr. Trump and Governor DeSantis decide to run. Now, the schedule has not been set yet, but let us assume that Iowa and New Hampshire are still the first in the nation to hold a primary and/or caucus.

Florida is usually pretty early too (remember how Rudy Guiliani forsook the early states and concentrated on Florida?). I think then South Carolina.

If Mr. DeSantis wins these early states, I can visualize Mr. Trump dropping out, and running as a third party, to prove that he is The Man.

Of course, I still doubt that Mr. Trump will run again. Tuesday's results have made no difference in my opinion. He has done well with raising money with his Leadership PAC; he has spent very little of it on supporting Republican candidates (I saw yesterday where the PAC, with 100 million in the coffers, spend $900,000, a fact that even Mr. Ted Cruz criticized last week). What does he spend the money on? He is not obligated to report details, but I bet on salaries to himself and family members, money to his country clubs, and perhaps paying expenses for his airplane. If he runs, he must distance himself from the Leadership PAC.

Nevertheless, I think that if Mr. Trump runs, there is a real danger, to the GOP, that he will switch to an independent status if things aren't going his way.

Is is logical? No.

Is it supportive of his party? No.

Is it Trumpian? Yes.
If Trump went Independent, he would have to finance his campaign all the way through, hence very expensive. Plus, leaving the GOP while burning bridges that way would cause issue especially if he needs a Republican Congress on his side. He probably doesn't care about the latter, but the expenses of running the campaign, he would.

I'd guess if it was DeSantis vs Trump, and Trump was losing more than DeSantis early on, Trump would deal or stay on to the end, rather than spend his own money to run Independent. By deal, I think somehow involvement of Ivanka, e.g. cabinet role, or running mate.

Last edited by g555; 11-10-2022 at 08:28 AM..

Old 11-10-2022, 09:08 AM

588 posts, read 225,913 times
The hate for Trump is going to make it very difficult to beat even a braindead Brandon. The libs have proven they will vote for anyone as long as its not Trump. I think the smart choice is DeSantis. Trump energizes the other side to a degree never seen.

Old 11-11-2022, 08:10 AM

7,660 posts, read 8,737,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Trump is too old, just as Biden is. I think they are both somewhat senile, they just show it differently.
Time of younger people to take over.
Like Hunter Biden, as many voted for in a CD poll? or Jeb Bush?

Saw an article by a Michael A Cohen (not the notorious lawyer): Why I'm Not Sold On Ron DeSantis

Quote:
DeSantis's entire shtick is cultivating an image as the country's angriest, pettiest, and most vindictive cultural warrior. Indeed, DeSantis not only didn’t apologize for upbraiding those mask-wearing high school students; he tried to raise money off the incident....

That might be a winning strategy in a Republican presidential primary, but it will almost certainly limit DeSantis’s appeal in a general election. It’s one thing to run to the right in a primary campaign; it’s another to ostentatiously go out of your way to alienate half the country.

Old 11-11-2022, 08:19 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,029,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
If Trump went Independent, he would have to finance his campaign all the way through, hence very expensive. Plus, leaving the GOP while burning bridges that way would cause issue especially if he needs a Republican Congress on his side. He probably doesn't care about the latter, but the expenses of running the campaign, he would.

I'd guess if it was DeSantis vs Trump, and Trump was losing more than DeSantis early on, Trump would deal or stay on to the end, rather than spend his own money to run Independent. By deal, I think somehow involvement of Ivanka, e.g. cabinet role, or running mate.
I utterly agree that Mr. Trump would be most unwilling to spend any of his own money. Yet, he has that 100 million socked away in his Leadership PAC (last week, even Ted Cruz complained that Mr. Trump was not using that nest egg to support Republican candidates; I saw where said PAC spend $900,000, total, on elections).

But a serious Presidential campaign, even as an Independent, would cost much more than 100 million, and I have a feeling that the Big Donors behind Mr. Trump are having second thoughts.

Yet, we must remember: Mr. Trump is a petty, vindictive man. If he thought that by running as an independent would harm the Republican Party, he would do so. Mr. Trump obviously thinks the GOP is not behind him, so, the GOP must suffer.

It would not be that expensive to run a 'spoiler' campaign. Mr. Trump just has to get on the state ballots for the Presidency, in order to foul up Republican chances. I doubt he would even campaign much, hence that 100 million would probably do nicely, plus whatever amount he can bilk out of his supporters.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:04 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,619,942 times
If Trump runs in 2024 and if no one with any credibility from the republican party run against him, IMO even Joe Biden will beat him again, and by even more than he did the last time. The republican party needs to go in a different direction and fast.

Old 11-11-2022, 11:07 AM

25,868 posts, read 12,910,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
If Trump runs in 2024 and if no one with any credibility from the republican party run against him, IMO even Joe Biden will beat him again, and by even more than he did the last time. The republican party needs to go in a different direction and fast.
Thhat is the function of the Primary. We'll just have to wait 2 years for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections