Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Simple, yes or no.
Yes 65 70.65%
No 27 29.35%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 05:53 AM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
With a Republican majority in the house, they would more than likely elect him speaker.

Nope. Too many of them want the position for themselves (Kevin McCarthy, for starters), and the GOP is a bit fractured at the moment--you've got a chunk who want Trump far, far, away from everything so they can get back to trying to win races (Trump caused the GOP a lot of issues in the midterms). Only a few die-hard MAGATs will want him as Speaker. The Democrats, obviously, will never vote for him, and right now, it's looking like the GOP isn't going to have a strong majority in the House, so they'd need every single GOP vote to get Trump in. It's not going to happen.

And Trump's ego is such that he'd never stand for being the 'third banana' after Biden and Harris.

And the presumably-future GOP House can vote to impeach Biden all they want....but they'll never get a 2/3rds conviction in the Senate. But given that they fell so very, very, short in these midterms, they're more likely to decide discretion is the better part of valor, and hold off on any impeachment talks. The majority of the crazies in the GOP didn't win their elections, and I would imagine the GOP members who *did* win are going to take note of that and try to keep a low profile.

So much for your little delusion that Trump can back-door himself back into the Presidency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 06:15 AM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
According to Jason Miller, Trump is going to announce he will run.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-is-goin...221156153.html

I'm still skeptical, but what do I know?

Old 11-14-2022, 06:20 AM

984 posts, read 442,639 times
I think he's going to run. I hope he's going to run as a third party candidate when he doesn't win the republican nomination.

Old 11-14-2022, 06:37 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
I think he's going to run. I hope he's going to run as a third party candidate when he doesn't win the republican nomination.
Oh yes please...third party candidate...Then the Dems can run anybody and win easily.

Old 11-14-2022, 06:39 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
I agree that Mr. Trump is eligible for being voted in as Speaker of the House.

However, he won't.

That trial balloon went up a few months ago. It was shot down with the mid-terms. I have yet to see a Congressional Republican since make that suggestion.

As for impeachment of President Biden. No doubt articles of impeachment will be submitted (as they have been during the past almost two years).

However, assuming the GOP obtains control of the House, I bet that such talk will disappear*, if the Republican whip finds that a number of Republicans would be against it (the House needs a simple majority to impeach; assuming the GOP has a five member majority, the fact that some Republicans will not so vote must be taken into account).

In case one didn't notice it, the Republican Red Wave did not materialize, at all. Some House members were re-elected by the skin of their teeth. I imagine that they will feel that going down the impeachment rabbit hole will simply result in more misery in 2024.

The GOP House will proclaim that they were elected to power to govern. Holding impeachment hearings on flimsy charges is not governing. The Democrats will be glad to quote those various members whom have said in the past that articles of impeachment will be introduced 'as payback' for the Democrats twice impeaching then-President Trump, on more substantial charges, say what you will.

Why would the GOP want 'payback' on behalf of a man whom keeps costing them elections?

*meaning, among House members. It will always be urged on this forum.

Note: as of this date, 14 impeachment resolutions have been introduced in the House, 9 against Mr. Biden, the rest against other individuals. Ms. Greene alone has introduced five).

https://www.axios.com/2022/09/30/bid...ump-comparison

Old 11-14-2022, 06:51 AM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
First of all why would you think Trump is worried about having to cope with anything, nothing phases or scares him, probably because he's a sociopath but that's another story. Second, he never expected to win in 2016. He says he'll run every 4 years and 2016 was the year he finally went through primaries because he likes being in the spotlight. When he ended up winning it was a "Holy ****, what do we do now" moment. He will choose the spotlight 10 out of 10 times regardless of likely outcome
Well, Trump did it! We had a great economy , low gas prices, low oil prices, our pipe lines were filled with happy workers, and the borders were closed so we didn't have thousands, upon thousands, of imigrants and drugs coming into our country. Trump knew what he could do, and he did it for us all! About..."Regarding of the outcome"....Trump nailed it! So much for your weak analysis.

Old 11-14-2022, 06:51 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
People started yapping about this fever-dream scenario in late January 2021.

It's never going to happen. No way, no how.

Old 11-14-2022, 06:54 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Oh yes please...third party candidate...Then the Dems can run anybody and win easily.

If he does declare as an Independent, you are absolutely correct, it will provide an easy path to a Democrat victory.

Even if he declares as a Republican, DeSantis vs Trump will further destroy the GOP as they try to top each other to see who can be more extreme and destructive.

But to answer the OP's question, yes of course Trump will declare. Two reasons for that. First, his bloated ego will never allow him to walk away defeated. Second, becoming President again is the best path he has to get out from under some of his legal liabilities. At least on the Federal level.

Old 11-14-2022, 06:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster24 View Post
In the new era of LGBTQIA, etc acceptance, I believe Don may be coming out of the closet ....

"nobody has ever been gayer than me. important gay people say i'm the gayest in history, ask anyone. i invented gay. people weren't gay before i did it now everybody wants to be gay...."

Old 11-14-2022, 07:01 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
He said he was, so why the poll? and people voting no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections