Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:02 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
I wondered about this....I may be wrong but, I thought the whole thing about voting along with Bush was misleading because, the way I always understood it to work, is that in congress they either vote along with their party or against....it's not really voting along with the president but, he was a rep and so was McCain in this case.....and it's the job of the whip is to get you to vote along with your party.....both parties have one in the house and the senate (they assist the speaker). You can look up statistics yourself for every session of congress at this site:

This is for the senate and the 110Th congress

Senate voting with party scores | 110th Congress | Congress votes database | washingtonpost.com

This is the main page

Congress votes database | washingtonpost.com

Go check it out, you may find it very helpful in the future.
Nothing like a factual post that most people won't bother to read because they already know everything.

Again, quoting Ronald Reagan, "It isn't that our liberal friends are stupid, they just know so much that isn't true."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
He tried so hard to separate himself from that party but in the end, people saw right through it and recognized that he was a creature of his party and voted with it almost all of the time. Some maverick, huh?
Well that's what I'm talking about, they all pretty much vote along with their party so, a number some where in the low to mid 80's, in terms of the percent of the time they vote with their party line, would make him a maverick compared to others (republican or democrat) if they voted that way consistently. If you go to the links I posted you'll see what I mean. Actually this current session of congress, McCain is at 88% but, this session is not a good representation for either McCain or Obama ....as you can see they didn't vote appox. half the time because they were campaigning. Go back and look at any of the previous sessions and you'll see McCain is near the bottom of the list all the time (the from top to bottom, the top being the ones that voted with their party the most often).

Among the things that were misleading about that statement is that although 90% (actually 88%) sounds high, in terms of voting with your party line, it's not....look at how Kerry and Obama for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections