Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:23 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,055,034 times

Advertisements

He knows McCain has plenty of military stories for the asking. In comparison, he personally has none. It just seems like he was told to dig up any old war story from his family - without actually checking the facts.

How come he doesn't know who liberated Auschwitz?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 07:30 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,918,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Yep, he probably was pandering (politicians do this), but the story doesn't appear to be made up, just factually skewed.
This is quite funny to read...

Not made up,just not factually correct.

I don't have a horse in this race but to me I cannot see how Obamas handlers didn't check the facts PRIOR to him speaking...

Unless of course they already knew those who support him do not CARE what he says,they would vote for him anyway.

To add,WHY should it matter what his relatives did in the war anyway,it isn't like HE had anything to do with it...

Old 05-28-2008, 07:42 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,639,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
This is quite funny to read...

Not made up,just not factually correct.

I don't have a horse in this race but to me I cannot see how Obamas handlers didn't check the facts PRIOR to him speaking...

Unless of course they already knew those who support him do not CARE what he says,they would vote for him anyway.
I found it odd that they didn't check the facts as well. But then again this behavior appears to repeat itself to the detriment of all of the candidates. Some stories are just more plausible than others.

Overall context being given more weight than not, I'd say McCain's Iraq statement comes in second to sniper fire, and this story falling a bit lower on the totem pole. It just isn't quite as important nor relevant. One is policy, another experience, and another a recanting of a story retold from childhood? Fact check, yes - career changing, not so much.

It's just impossible for me to imagine someone forgetting if they've been shot at. I can even understand where Senator McCain was coming from within the context of his statement. He gets poor marks for presentation, but I'll give him the benefit of doubt due to his explanation. I just don't agree with the policy - but I don't fault or draw his statement out of context - I stand by earlier posts - he meant what he said.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:45 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,639,393 times
Quote:

To add,WHY should it matter what his relatives did in the war anyway,it isn't like HE had anything to do with it...
Who knows...why do we tell stories about Santa Claus...we know his persona was invented by Coca Cola.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 AM

31,692 posts, read 41,146,600 times
From the guy we all hate/love Tim Russert
Go you Bloggers your time is now.
*** Obama’s Auschwitz gaffe: For the first time of this budding general election, the GOP blogosphere was running on all cylinders -- er, microprocessors -- when news began to circulate that Obama's claim that his uncle had helped liberate Auschwitz. The rub: The Soviets, not the Americans, liberated the concentration camp. The Obama camp eventually corrected the misstatement -- the candidate's great uncle helped liberate Buchenwald, not Auschwitz. All in all, it wasn't a big story and wasn't near the gaffe that McCain's earlier Sunni-Shiite one was. If you’re going to make a gaffe, you better make sure it’s more truth than lie. And in this case it was. Yet when you consider Obama's other misstatements or exaggerations (JFK helping to bring his father to the US, Sioux City instead of Sioux Falls, Sunshine, FL instead of Sunrise, FL, 57 states), his campaign has to be careful to remember that these types of stories/narratives can often take lives of their own.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:53 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,877,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
You're never to young or old to make a mistake. Have we become so indentured into the status quo that we cannot understand or accept our politicians admitting their mistakes? One would think it's been what we've waited for.

I don't believe we've ever had a campaign in which so many of our politicians have made errors and admitted them. It's actually quite refreshing to witness this "new" phenomena in political theater. Quite an interesting year this has become.

I know, I know....it's the press...they're the ones beating up on the politicians unfairly...

This is rich coming from an Obama supporter. How quick you are to forgive him but where has your forgiveness been when Hillary makes a mistake You can't have it both ways.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:00 AM

31,692 posts, read 41,146,600 times
Smile A perspective to be pondered

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
This is rich coming from an Obama supporter. How quick you are to forgive him but where has your forgiveness been when Hillary makes a mistake You can't have it both ways.
Yes he can, he has a different perception on each candidates mistakes and the intent behind their mistakes.

Hillary blew it and CBS news has a very good article on line that folks might want to read. I offer you a teaser for food and fodder:

If Clinton had listened to alternative voices --if there'd be some "woman- common-sense" over in her campaign--they might have suggested that she reframe what a commander-in-chief for the 21st century means. That what's needed to deal with the challenges of this world is not more militarism and macho swagger, but a commitment to smart, principled use of non-military tools. After all, how does military might address genocidal conflicts? Or the worst pandemic in world history (AIDS)? Or staggering and destabilizing global inequality? Or, for that matter, the spread of weapons of mass destruction?

Hillary might even have given a speech about what it would mean to elect the first women president. She might have given a superb gender speech--one that people, generations to come, might be talking about just as they will be talking about Barack Obama's magnificent speech on race. But she chose not to. Instead, Clinton chose a different route. And while, on some level, I like Clinton's "I'm fighting for you" persona, and her fighter instinct, that stance came too late in the campaign and needed an anchor in a larger fight than the fate and future of her campaign.

So, opportunities lost, squandered. So, it is with sadness that one watches these last days of what began as an energizing and historic campaign.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:04 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,017,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yet when you consider Obama's other misstatements or exaggerations (JFK helping to bring his father to the US, Sioux City instead of Sioux Falls, Sunshine, FL instead of Sunrise, FL, 57 states), his campaign has to be careful to remember that these types of stories/narratives can often take lives of their own.
He definitely needs to add another fact checker to his staff.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:53 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,018,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yes he can, he has a different perception on each candidates mistakes and the intent behind their mistakes.

Hillary blew it and CBS news has a very good article on line that folks might want to read. I offer you a teaser for food and fodder:

If Clinton had listened to alternative voices --if there'd be some "woman- common-sense" over in her campaign--they might have suggested that she reframe what a commander-in-chief for the 21st century means. That what's needed to deal with the challenges of this world is not more militarism and macho swagger, but a commitment to smart, principled use of non-military tools. After all, how does military might address genocidal conflicts? Or the worst pandemic in world history (AIDS)? Or staggering and destabilizing global inequality? Or, for that matter, the spread of weapons of mass destruction?

Hillary might even have given a speech about what it would mean to elect the first women president. She might have given a superb gender speech--one that people, generations to come, might be talking about just as they will be talking about Barack Obama's magnificent speech on race. But she chose not to. Instead, Clinton chose a different route. And while, on some level, I like Clinton's "I'm fighting for you" persona, and her fighter instinct, that stance came too late in the campaign and needed an anchor in a larger fight than the fate and future of her campaign.

So, opportunities lost, squandered. So, it is with sadness that one watches these last days of what began as an energizing and historic campaign.
And they say the report news.

Someone should tell CBS the magnificence is the thing being talked (debated rather) about from that speech.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:56 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,657,120 times
Quote:

Right, but they all need to make show how much they connect with the "regular" people in the audience. Hillary said something like, "As the granddaughter of a coal worker" or something along those lines. So I guess if my grandfather was a factory worker I would think, "Hey, she's just a regular blue collar kinda girl - I'm voting for her!"

And Obama says this, as if someone who didn't know who they were going to vote for would hear him and say, "Hey, his uncle was in WWII - I think I'm voting for him!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections