Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:10 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times

Advertisements

By the way, Trinity Church has a new pastor and there is a nice video out of one of his sermons... This election is going to be FUN!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 11:11 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Haha! You can see from the rage of the Obamabots -- they can't handle hearing anymore about Reverend Wright!

I still love the fact that Rove pointed out that Obama changed his story EIGHT TIMES! The quotes are all in the article along with the references of where they came from. Personally, I only thought Obama changed his story four or five times so I was quite surprised to read all 8 quotes!
Does this mean that you're no longer supporting Obama?

Darn it, Rove! Keep this hushed up 'til after the election, would ya!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:12 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
This election is going to be FUN!!

It has been so far.

Let's check back in November, shall we?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Does this mean that you're no longer supporting Obama?

Darn it, Rove! Keep this hushed up 'til after the election, would ya!
I supported Clinton but if she's out of it, I'll be voting for McCain.

I hate the idea of giving up on Universal Healthcare - but Obama isn't going to go that route either.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:15 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
If Rove said it, probably. I can't be bothered to check the lies that fall out each time he opens his mouth.
He gave direct quotes as well as when and where he said them yet you call them lies, while admitting in another post that you don't know, because Rove is the one that pointed it out and it was against your guy.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:17 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Excuse me? All he does is lay out what Obama has said in chronological order.
The problem is he tries to twist and parse the facts, and counts on us not to read too deeply. It's disappointing because it's exactly the same cheap technique employed by the crudest of bloggers, right- and left-wing.

In each of those Rev Wright quotes Obama stands by his old pastor until the last one when he had to admit Rev Wright was deliberately going after him. None of them are "explanations."

The flag pin - "sometimes I wear it, sometimes I dont" - so what. Obama never gives "shifting explanations" - he says the same thing each time. Rove also misleads about the "preconditions" business.

Rove winds up the word count with two paras that say nothing new - the same old gibberish he could have cut and pasted.

Just like the scaremongers who put out articles with misleading headlines, Rove counts on us not to read the whole article and take it apart for ourselves.

Last edited by delusianne; 05-29-2008 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: grammatickil erra

Old 05-29-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I supported Clinton but if she's out of it, I'll be voting for McCain.
....McCain's and Hillary's platforms are very different...?

Quote:
I hate the idea of giving up on Universal Healthcare - but Obama isn't going to go that route either.
"[Obama's] plan begins by covering every American. If you already have health insurance, the only thing that will change for you under this plan is the amount of money you will spend on premiums. That will be less. If you are one of the 45 million Americans who don't have health insurance, you will have it after this plan becomes law. No one will be turned away because of a preexisting condition or illness.”

Plus cutting costs, increasing transparency, tightening up the whole medical care and insurance morasses. I think he can get it done.

Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Health Care

Old 05-29-2008, 11:32 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The problem is he tries to twist and parse the facts, and counts on us not to read too deeply. It's disappointing because it's exactly the same cheap technique employed by the crudest of bloggers, right- and left-wing.

In each of those Rev Wright quotes Obama stands by his old pastor until the last one when he had to admit Rev Wright was deliberately going after him. None of them are "explanations."

The flag pin - "sometimes I wear it, sometimes I dont" - so what. Obama never gives "shifting explanations" - he says the same thing each time. Rove also misleads about the "preconditions" business.

Rove winds up the word count with two paras that say nothing new - the same old gibberish he could have cut and pasted.

Just like the scaremongers who put out articles with misleading headlines, Rove counts on us not to read the whole article and take it apart for themselves.
What is particularly telling is the persona which is attracted to Roves style of storytelling. His defenders realize too late the characterization of their own methodology for not only what they will accept as true, but what it takes to get them to accept it as true. They have unwittingly boxed themselves through acceptance and must either stand by and be pummeled or denounce the thing totally.....but hey, ya gotta cut off a raccoon's hand to get him to release the shiny thing.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 AM

I do admire Rove and his ability to scatter a trail of shiny things

Old 05-29-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
....McCain's and Hillary's platforms are very different...?

"[Obama's] plan begins by covering every American. If you already have health insurance, the only thing that will change for you under this plan is the amount of money you will spend on premiums. That will be less. If you are one of the 45 million Americans who don't have health insurance, you will have it after this plan becomes law. No one will be turned away because of a preexisting condition or illness.”

Plus cutting costs, increasing transparency, tightening up the whole medical care and insurance morasses. I think he can get it done.

Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Health Care
If you do more research, you'll find that Obama and McCain's plans are more similar than Hillary and Obama's. Obama's also will cost 2X what Hillary's would (per person).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections