Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:32 AM

317 posts, read 496,146 times

Advertisements

I think Sarah Palin would be a good choice for several reasons:

1. She brings governing experience into the election, which has been lacking this year.

2. She has the highest approval rating of any governor in the United States.

3. She would definetely get a huge amount of support from the female voters, including many of the former Hillary supporters that aren't very excited about switching over to Obama.

4. Part of the reason that many people want to vote democrat is because they want to see history made (first black president). But if Palin is elected VP then history will be made on the republican ticket (first female VP). So that would cancel out some of the excitement that the democrats have about being the party that is going to make history in this election.

5. She is very young and attractive, and is a former Miss Alaska contestant. That might get alot of the male voters excited about politics again. It would also take some of the youth vote away from Obama.

6. She is much younger then McCain, which will help to balance out the ticket.

7. She is also more conservative than McCain, which will help to balance out the ticket.

8. Presidential candidates often like to pick running mates from different parts of the country. McCain is from the south and Palin is from the far north.

9. There are no problems with her religious affiliations or background.

10. Many people think McCain needs somebody that is an "A-list" candidate that everybody is familiar with. If Palin is chosen as the republican party's first female running mate then I gaurantee that she will become a household name within about 10 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,005 times
I wouldn't mind it, but don't see it happening. I think it would do McCain well to select her, or maybe Bobby Jindel. He can't get by with someone who already a household name Republican. Not a really popular group of people right now.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:39 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,594,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post

1. She brings governing experience into the election, which has been lacking this year.

3. She would definetely get a huge amount of support from the female voters, including many of the former Hillary supporters that aren't very excited about switching over to Obama.

4. Part of the reason that many people want to vote democrat is because they want to see history made (first black president). But if Palin is elected VP then history will be made on the republican ticket (first female VP). So that would cancel out some of the excitement that the democrats have about being the party that is going to make history in this election.

5. She is very young and attractive, and is a former Miss Alaska contestant. That might get alot of the male voters excited about politics again. It would also take some of the youth vote away from Obama.

7. She is also more conservative than McCain, which will help to balance out the ticket.

8. Presidential candidates often like to pick running mates from different parts of the country. McCain is from the south and Palin is from the far north.

10. Many people think McCain needs somebody that is an "A-list" candidate that everybody is familiar with. If Palin is chosen as the republican party's first female running mate then I gaurantee that she will become a household name within about 10 minutes.
Really?!

How well will this mesh with Senator McCain's Global Warming stance?

"Surprise! Alaska Governor Sarah Palin announced that the state will be filing suit challenging the decision made last week by Dick Kempthorne, Secretary of the Interior, to list the polar bear as a threatened species, under the Endangered Species Act."

Old 05-29-2008, 11:39 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Sarah Polley? She was great in Go.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:40 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
I prefer Bobby Jindal. He is young, accomplished, does well in public venue, very well liked as governor in his state. Can't imagine him performing too many gaffes! Seems to have his head on straight.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:43 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
5. She is very young and attractive, and is a former Miss Alaska contestant. That might get alot of the male voters excited about politics again.
This isnt a good idea considering John McCain's history with infidelity as well as more recent rumors about his involvement with a younger lobbyist.

What about someone more portly and matronly.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:34 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I prefer Bobby Jindal. He is young, accomplished, does well in public venue, very well liked as governor in his state. Can't imagine him performing too many gaffes! Seems to have his head on straight.

You and me both! I could listen to that guy talk for hours. He's uber-smart, has a strong moral compass, is very conservative, has seen lots of success and seems to be an all around good guy. No Rev Wrights in his background. He's a devout Catholic. If McCain could pull in the Catholic vote...well I think he will win if he does.

Plus, I love that Jindal and his parents are a true American success story. It thrills me when I hear of immigrants coming to this country, making it their own and succeeding. Guess I'm sentimental that way....but hey, that's what has always made our country great...the immigrant story (legal!). I think people that don't know him will be surprised at his many accomplishments for his young age. He is 10 years younger than BO and has done so much more. Makes BO look like the empty suit that he is.

McCain (who, I admit has his flaws) is my man for national security and I think Bobby Jindal would be the perfect compliment: young, exuberant, a problem solver, financially conservative....Ahhhhh that is a great ticket. Hope it happens.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:41 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This isnt a good idea considering John McCain's history with infidelity as well as more recent rumors about his involvement with a younger lobbyist.

Speaking of rumours (since you brought it up)....can't wait for the new vid tape where the Devil in the Red Dress Michelle Obama screeches about how evil "Whitey" has kept her and poor widdle wussy Barry down all these years with their mean, American ways. Hope Sean Hannity can contain himself and hold that hot potato video for a few more weeks...so we can digest the latest racist tape of Barry's pal Pfleger ranting about evil white people and the most evil white person around: Hillary.

Thanks again for bringing up rumours! I think you side is winning with their disgusting rumours always showing to be true!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:57 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,408,468 times
Quote:

1. What makes you feel that governing experience is lacking or needed?

2. That does not matter one bit.

3. It is a shame that people are presumably voting for someone just because of thier gender, not a responsible thing to do.

4. So you are saying that people are voting democrat because of the race and gender of the people running? You do not see anything wrong with people not voting on issues instead of gender/race? Again, you are presuming this, maybe you think this way?

5. People should not care if Shrek is running, it is the ideas that a person should be voting for, not looks. Perhaps some more education about how politics relates to everyone would get people excited. About the young vote, again, voting for the person and not the issues?

6. I do not see what age has to do with anything.

7. Does not matter if she is more conservative, people always have looked past the office of the VP in voting.

8. Bush/Cheney - Texas/Wyoming, Clinton/Gore - Arkansas/Tennessee Bush/Quail - Texas/Indiana, Reagan/Bush - California/Texas
No, I do not see it nor do I see what difference it makes, again, issues should be what people are voting about.

9. You have no problems or problems have not came up due to no one digging for them.

10. McCain needs someone who is qualified for the office of the president, not a celebrity.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:02 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

When I read #5 somehow I knew you would have a stupid response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections