Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 05:36 PM

30,659 posts, read 18,276,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Maybe in some respects Trump was moderate, but fiscally he spent like a sailor while cutting taxes and there were many things he did (border wall, naming extremely conservative justices) that were far too conservative for my taste.

I like the "liberal lite" types like Baker and Hogan that tend to be more fiscally responsible than most politicians but are socially live and let live more in the style of classical liberals.
Of course, Trump's massive spending in theory even more greatly aligns him with leftists.

Also, I'm not sure how fiscally responsible you can say Baker and Hogan are. It's easy to veto spending bills when your veto doesn't actually mean anything because the ruling legislative party has super majorities; I'm not tracking a single veto that was sustained by either governor. It's a lot harder to do so when you actually have skin in the game. I liken it to Republicans in Congress running on repealing Obamacare. This was easy to vote for when a Democrat president had a veto pen, but we saw many refuse to replicate their votes once Trump was in office and would actually sign repeal legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2023, 06:13 PM

1,411 posts, read 567,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I think that Elizabeth Warren is one of the most intelligent and capable senators currently serving in the US. I hope she continues in the senate for a long career.
Funniest, yet most inaccurate post I have read today.
The mendacious, clueless, idiotic Fauxcahontas could only emerge from the loathsome People's Republic of Massachusetts , with it's moron voters.

Old 05-14-2023, 06:15 PM

1,411 posts, read 567,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...#disqus_thread

Former Governor Baker would be a welcome upgrade over Senator Warren and it seems as though many Bay Stater's agree.

From the article:
A potted plant would be an upgrade from the loathsome harridan!

Old 05-15-2023, 06:53 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,910,701 times
Quote:
Good. I hope he jumps into the race in MA.
why would he? He's making millions as the president of the NCAA. His predecessor made $3m a year.

Old 05-15-2023, 10:16 AM

1,744 posts, read 961,570 times
Quote:
Good. I hope he jumps into the race in MA. I also hope Larry Hogan has a change of heart and jumps into the Presidential race. We, as Americans, need more politicians that aren't crazy, at-any-cost partisans and actually have shown that they will put the needs of their constituents over the needs of the party.

Moderate Republicans are the way forward. If Democrats could run someone like Hogan or Baker nationally, they would be in a great position as well (though I believe it would be far harder for them to moderate at this point than the Republicans). Someone to carry the flag of the socially liberal, fiscally conservative types that I believe are the true silent majority in this country. It's just that both parties have gone so far left and right at this point, I'm not confident either party could nominate someone like Baker or Hogan nationally.
It used to be that both parties had conservative, moderate, and liberal factions. It’s astounding to think there was once such a thing as a liberal Republican! There’s a handful of conservative Democrats, but they’re almost extinct. While it was perhaps inevitable that the parties would sort themselves out ideologically, both parties need balance and our country would benefit if both parties had more moderates.

Old 05-15-2023, 01:27 PM

22,198 posts, read 19,487,286 times
Caveats due to internal polls should apply in this case. On top of that Baker has shown no interest in running, declined back in December and that was prior to his current job of President of the NCAA which he started in March.

Old 05-15-2023, 02:19 PM

13,639 posts, read 4,950,478 times
Quote:
I like the "liberal lite" types like Baker and Hogan that tend to be more fiscally responsible than most politicians but are socially live and let live more in the style of classical liberals.
Me too. Baker is a pragmatic, non-ideological sort. I prefer him to Warren, even though I am a Democrat. Chris Sununu is another one. Liberals in New England love these Republican Governors because the states are well run, without resorting to culture wars like DeSantis.

Old 05-15-2023, 04:40 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,305,691 times
Do you really think that Charlie Baker would give up a sweet gig like Commissioner of Baseball for an opportunity to run for a federal office in Massachusetts as a Republican???

Being elected as Governor in Mass as a Republican isn’t the same as being elected to the Senate.

It’s like saying Andy Beshear would have a real shot beating Mitch McConnell or Rand Paul.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:17 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,546,256 times
Sure would be good to see lying fraud Fauxahontas tossed on the trash heap of history.

Old 05-17-2023, 09:53 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,574,372 times
I think Scott Brown had led the polls against Warren early on as well. Polling this far out means little. I live in MA and see little chance that the state will send a Republican to DC in the current environment with senate control up for grabs. The national Republican Party brand in New England is toxic. Only one of the region's 12 senators is aligned with the GOP (Collins of ME). All 21 congressional districts are represented by Democrats. The GOP has just ONE of 33 elected federal offices in New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections