Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:01 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times

Advertisements

Some insight into what happened at the "long" lunch.

Salon.com News | The new math in Florida and Michigan
Clips:
...Obama supporters also recognized that overturning the results of the Michigan primary by a one-vote margin in the rules committee would be a Pyrrhic victory. Brewer warned his colleagues during the luncheon that such a result would ruin the Democratic Party in Michigan, since the Clinton supporters would be enraged over the sellout. Desperate to salvage anything from the wreckage, five Clinton supporters on the committee (Don Fowler, Mame Reilly, Elaine Kamarck, Michael Steed and Alice Huffman) belatedly embraced the compromise floated by Brewer and the Michigan party that awarded Clinton a 10-delegate edge. This required a bit of intellectual backtracking since during the earlier public session, Fowler, Reilly and Kamarck had all critiqued the Michigan proposal as arbitrary and irrational in its arithmetic that trimmed Clinton's 73-to-55 delegate margin from the primary to a 69-59 Clinton-Obama split.
In theory, Saturday's rules committee Michigan decision can be appealed to a new body -- the convention's Credentials Committee, when it comes into existence in July. Ickes, in fact, raised just that specter in his final remarks on the Michigan vote and the Clinton acolytes in the audience chanted, "Denver! Denver!" But, in reality, a formal challenge of Saturday's decision can only be brought by a Michigan convention delegate, not by the Clinton campaign itself. The odds are prodigious that -- under almost any scenario -- the four votes that Clinton theoretically lost in the rules committee will not matter by Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 08:12 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
How in the world can they award Obama any delegates from MI when he wasn't even on the ballot. How presumptious of this 30-member panel to assume all the uncommitted were for Obama. As I understand it, "uncommitted" is a valid category.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:50 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How in the world can they award Obama any delegates from MI when he wasn't even on the ballot. How presumptious of this 30-member panel to assume all the uncommitted were for Obama. As I understand it, "uncommitted" is a valid category.
By the same token, you can't award Clinton all the delegates in what was a flawed basically uncontested primary. So, they came up with a compromise. Actually, Obama apparently had enough votes on the committee to get a 50/50 delegate split out of Mi., but, once again demonstrating his leadership qualities, he graciously made the concession to support the 69/59 compromise.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:38 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
By the same token, you can't award Clinton all the delegates in what was a flawed basically uncontested primary. So, they came up with a compromise. Actually, Obama apparently had enough votes on the committee to get a 50/50 delegate split out of Mi., but, once again demonstrating his leadership qualities, he graciously made the concession to support the 69/59 compromise.
Clinton wanted it all yesterday, no exceptions. They gave Clinton and Obama what the MI Reps were requesting and FL was done extremely "fair". If they didn't seat the MI votes, Obama would not have a chance in the General, not that Clinton is concerned about Obama in the General. It was the best conclusion given terrible circumstances. You cannot award all to one, that is not a compromise. I think it went well yesterday but Hillary will fight this no matter what the outcome was yesterday. She will drag this out with hopes Obama falls and she will be there, ready and waiting to pick up the pieces. This is her only hope she has left. She could care less about those additional 5 delegates in MI that she is going to fight to the Convention. It's about dragging it on so she will be there waiting in case Obama falls. Well, it's up to the Superdelegates to shut her down. Her reputation is finished. Maybe she'll crawl to McCain and he will put her on the ticket. You never know. I wouldn't put anything past Hillary. I tell you right now, she is NOT going to be on Obama's ticket.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:42 PM

422 posts, read 758,651 times
What happened to one person one vote? What happened to all the bitching and moaning about every single vote counting from the Florida recount 8 years ago?

Democrats are just a bunch of losers and hypocrites.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:43 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Clinton could not have been happier when Obama was not on the ballots. She was probably hoping for it!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:44 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
What happened to one person one vote? What happened to all the bitching and moaning about every single vote counting from the Florida recount 8 years ago?

This is just to darn true!!! Hillary, Gore Ha ha ha ha....

Old 06-01-2008, 12:48 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post

How did you get a baby picture of Nobama?

Obama was not on the ballot and should get ZERO !

Only the liberal loons would screw over their own voters like this.

Leadership qualities, how is it leadership qualities when you actually were to stupid to put your name on a ballot and was HANDED free votes that didnt happen.

Why didnt these loon who seem to have a half a brain in the entire group of them just re vote both states, it would have been the ONLY way to be fair.

Obama just stole votes and the committee just committed voter fraud.

I am glad I left that party, at least I know the republicans would never do this to their voters!

Old 06-01-2008, 01:19 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post

Why didnt these loon who seem to have a half a brain in the entire group of them just re vote both states, it would have been the ONLY way to be fair.

Obama just stole votes and the committee just committed voter fraud.
Why didn't the party just stick to its guns and refuse to count any votes in either state? Because Hillary wanted to change the rules, after agreeing to the old rules. She's shameless. Obama didn't steal anything. This is all about Hillary. Just like her husband, she's incapable of thinking about anyone but herself, even if it rips her own party apart.

The only good news is, this should be the end of her political career, as far as presidential aspirations are concerned.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:38 PM

76 posts, read 213,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
Clinton wanted it all yesterday, no exceptions. They gave Clinton and Obama what the MI Reps were requesting and FL was done extremely "fair". If they didn't seat the MI votes, Obama would not have a chance in the General, not that Clinton is concerned about Obama in the General. It was the best conclusion given terrible circumstances. You cannot award all to one, that is not a compromise. I think it went well yesterday but Hillary will fight this no matter what the outcome was yesterday. She will drag this out with hopes Obama falls and she will be there, ready and waiting to pick up the pieces. This is her only hope she has left. She could care less about those additional 5 delegates in MI that she is going to fight to the Convention. It's about dragging it on so she will be there waiting in case Obama falls. Well, it's up to the Superdelegates to shut her down. Her reputation is finished. Maybe she'll crawl to McCain and he will put her on the ticket. You never know. I wouldn't put anything past Hillary. I tell you right now, she is NOT going to be on Obama's ticket.

Clinton does not need Obama. (and Obama does not need Clinton). After yesterday, her supporters are asking her to go as an Independent on the November ballot. That would be extremely interesting. A new party. One of the Older democrats and probably whites and average working class, since Obama's campaign is now drawing in about 94%+ of the black vote and the younger vote. That could likely be the divide that has yet to be seen (or at least discused). A more central party with the Clintons and independents and a very leftist party with Obama and a good percentage of the college students.

Sounds like a great idea to me. It gives me the heebie jeebies to talk race because I am not racists at all, but Geraldine Ferraro was correct when she says anytime someone white opens their mouth it seems to be a problem, but in reality the black vote is split 94% to 6% between Obama and Clinton. But in interviews, they always say how wonderful she is and has always been in fighting for civil rights and all, but they feel they must support the black candidate. Now that's what I call a racial issue in true form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections