Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 11:02 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,795,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
In the end, everyone wants a smaller govt. until they can't get anyone in the govt. to pick up the phone.
That has absolutely nothing to do with the size of government. The government is the biggest it has been in recorded history and we still can't get anyone in the gov't to pick up the phone. Might as well save some money and get rid of the phone line.

I like it. Start with an indefinite hiring freeze. No new hires, period, end of story. Get rid of the pension and replace with 401k. Pay market rate and fire the bottom 10%. Natural attrition will eliminate most of that 75% over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 12:24 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
What a consummate idiot! The only thing dumber is the people who can't appreciate what this would mean. Here's a few. Passports - 2 years to never. Borders - wide open, airports closed, no trains. No mail. Environmental devastation without regulation. All parks and national monuments closed. No courts. Federal prisons shut down with inmates released. No tax law enforcement. No social security payments being processed. All of these things and so much more depend on PEOPLE, employees, federal workers. They are not going to be done by the "private sector" - utter hogwash. Stupid promises made for consumption by stupid people. Thank goodness this idiot will never be elected president.

Old 07-15-2023, 12:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Of course he's thought it through..he's extremely bright...Billionaires are not dumb people who fail to think things through...generally speaking.

He said he'd start day 1, & finish by 2033...a 8 year continuous headcount reduction. That is ~9% headcount reduction per year. Ambitious for sure, but even if he reduced headcount by 50%, that would boost GDP significantly, reduce our annual gov't spending, accumulated debt, & our $500B in annual interest payments....which is $500B.yr being flushed down a toilet.

You see, gov't makes nothing, & adds very little to GDP, & what it adds, has a very high expense ratio.

Millions of gov't employees not making/producing, or adding to GDP in the most productive way, is a drin on our economy. Putting them to real work, would increase production outputs, and GDP, thus heping Vivek's economy achive his 5% target.

These ex-gov't workers will just need to learn how to code , or learn other new skills that are marketable to the private sector.
He wouldn't have the power to cut that much. The president's direct control over agency hiring is limited.

I wonder why so many people think a president can do anything that s/he wishes.

Old 07-15-2023, 01:09 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
He wouldn't have the power to cut that much. The president's direct control over agency hiring is limited.

Because that is the way that Trump approached the presidency; that he was Supreme Leader and could just do whatever he wanted. He always thought that, like on TV, he was director/producer and everyone would follow his script.

So when Ramaswamy says these fantasy things that he would do, some people blindly believe him.

Old 07-15-2023, 01:10 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:

I don't know the answer to that, but I DO know the answer to why presidential candidates tell outrageous lies about what they plan to do.

Because they're believed.

(Even if he could affect at 75% reduction in government employees, who in their right mind thinks this is a good goal?)

Old 07-15-2023, 01:16 PM

25,777 posts, read 12,849,279 times
Quote:

Presidents don't require direct power to get what they want.

Reagan used the bully pulpit to get what he wanted, & Biden used the federal agencies, & foreign countries.

Obama used Congress, & the media.

Deals can be made....others can be persuaded through threat of executive orders, & veto's.

Entire functions can be outsourced.

It can be done by the most powerful position on Earth. Even if he only reached 50%, its would boost GDP a lot.

Old 07-15-2023, 01:59 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Presidents don't require direct power to get what they want.

Reagan used the bully pulpit to get what he wanted, & Biden used the federal agencies, & foreign countries.

Obama used Congress, & the media.

Deals can be made....others can be persuaded through threat of executive orders, & veto's.

Entire functions can be outsourced.

It can be done by the most powerful position on Earth. Even if he only reached 50%, its would boost GDP a lot.
Those may be the case. But note - they require the cooperation and buy-in of others. In Other Words, to quote myself - "He wouldn't have the power to cut that much. The president's direct control over agency hiring is limited."

Frankly, I really don't see a majority of any Congress you might name consenting to a 75% reduction in military forces, including the civilian folks who work for military agencies. Do you?

And I really don't see a majority of any Congress you might name consenting to the elimination of sufficient federal departments/agencies to make up for protecting military agencies from the consequences of a 75% cut. Because, like it or not, there are constituencies for every single federal department/agency.

Frankly, if Ramaswamy could effect a 10% overall cut, I would be in awe of his political skills.

But it's a no-brainer for him to run on the promise. He can always blame his failure on someone/something else, and the true believers would buy that too.

Old 07-15-2023, 02:05 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times
Quote:
Those may be the case. But note - they require the cooperation and buy-in of others. In Other Words, to quote myself - "He wouldn't have the power to cut that much. The president's direct control over agency hiring is limited."

Frankly, I really don't see a majority of any Congress you might name consenting to a 75% reduction in military forces, including the civilian folks who work for military agencies. Do you?

And I really don't see a majority of any Congress you might name consenting to the elimination of sufficient federal departments/agencies to make up for protecting military agencies from the consequences of a 75% cut. Because, like it or not, there are constituencies for every single federal department/agency.

Frankly, if Ramaswamy could effect a 10% overall cut, I would be in awe of his political skills.

But it's a no-brainer for him to run on the promise. He can always blame his failure on someone/something else, and the true believers would buy that too.
Yeah, that is always the "Get out of jail free" card for politicians to use when their promises do not come to fruition.

Old 07-15-2023, 02:52 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Just to make himself look good, and follow thru with a promise to cut the Federal payroll, Reagan cut the headcount, and? They were replaced with expensive temporaries.

Old 07-16-2023, 11:56 AM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Back in Denmark, we had a guy running on a platform of better weather, bigger Christmas presents and following winds on the bicycle paths. The difference between him and Ramaswamy was that he said up front he was a comedian and not to be taken seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections