Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:37 PM

38,856 posts, read 25,670,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Barack can leave his church, but folks, the issues still burn in that church. Whether it be the unholy sermons of Wright or Wrong (that Irish Catholic) who was invited to do exactly what he did, black majoritive churches all across our nation are hearing exactly the same themed sermons because that is what they want to hear because the people are hurting.

We can blame and blame and blame, but until we all, I mean all of us attack the issues of American ghetto's the sickness will only grow and churches like Trinity will multiply like rabbits in a thorn patch.

At the same time, we must no longer assume that racism is a one way street. We must also never allow entreprenueral preachers such as J Wright, Al Sharpton, or Jesse Jackson to preach to the crowd rather than preaching about faith, the Christian message, and the Hope of Heaven.

So, exactly how do you propose to "control" the message of churches you aren't a member of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 07:20 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,359,715 times
Moderators, please take note. This was not about BHO, but rather about racism and human needs in black churches. Please use better descrimination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Barack can leave his church, but folks, the issues still burn in that church. Whether it be the unholy sermons of Wright or Wrong (that Irish Catholic) who was invited to do exactly what he did, black majoritive churches all across our nation are hearing exactly the same themed sermons because that is what they want to hear because the people are hurting.

We can blame and blame and blame, but until we all, I mean all of us attack the issues of American ghetto's the sickness will only grow and churches like Trinity will multiply like rabbits in a thorn patch.

At the same time, we must no longer assume that racism is a one way street. We must also never allow entreprenueral preachers such as J Wright, Al Sharpton, or Jesse Jackson to preach to the crowd rather than preaching about faith, the Christian message, and the Hope of Heaven.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,359,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
First, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about as it relates to Black churches "all across our nation". The majority Black church that I've attended doesn't fit your stereoptype. Neither does the majority white church that I once attended fit your stereotype. You may need something to cling to, but church isn't it.

Second, I hope you're not a practicing real estate agent with that kind of narrow-minded, ignorant view of Black people and the churches they choose to attend.
Did you read what I wrote in the OP? If you did, then try to reread it, if not please do. I am a practicing broker and I do support people of all colors, but when we work typically on commission and black majority areas don't have the sale values that other areas do, who really is the cause of that? Now you can blame mr white cracker broker, or you can do what is real and look at all the issues that drive home prices.

Don't be accusing me of not caring for or about people of color other than mine unless you know me, because if you do, you will know that I don't tolerate political spin.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:12 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,871,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The IRS went after small churches that spoke out against the Iraq war.
Want to talk politics about that one?

Leaving is denouncing.
Shall we try swiftboating Obama now?

The IRS certainly should look into a church that is more a political organization than a house of worship.

Leaving that church was certainly not denouncing it. Listen to his press conference again.

Swiftboating....wasn't that just a bunch of guys telling the truth about Kerry then the dems acting like it was not fair and started calling it Swiftboating, thereby trying to paint it as wrong? Very screwy. I say, Swiftboat anybody running if you've got the goods on them.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:29 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,220,566 times
Obama was a member of this church for 20 YEARS. He can leave the church but the church is still an issue. You can't cut ties that easily.

Why did he ever sit in the pews for 20 years? People want to know that. 20 years is not an insignificant part of anyone's life. (In Obama's case, it's nearly 1/2 his life!!)

Old 06-03-2008, 05:03 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,919,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Obama was a member of this church for 20 YEARS. He can leave the church but the church is still an issue. You can't cut ties that easily.

Why did he ever sit in the pews for 20 years? People want to know that. 20 years is not an insignificant part of anyone's life. (In Obama's case, it's nearly 1/2 his life!!)

Excellent points.
And why, even after leaving, has he still not denounced the hateful, racist words that spewed from that church?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections