Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 06:12 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times

Advertisements

Barack can leave his church, but folks, the issues still burn in that church. Whether it be the unholy sermons of Wright or Wrong (that Irish Catholic) who was invited to do exactly what he did, black majoritive churches all across our nation are hearing exactly the same themed sermons because that is what they want to hear because the people are hurting.

We can blame and blame and blame, but until we all, I mean all of us attack the issues of American ghetto's the sickness will only grow and churches like Trinity will multiply like rabbits in a thorn patch.

At the same time, we must no longer assume that racism is a one way street. We must also never allow entreprenueral preachers such as J Wright, Al Sharpton, or Jesse Jackson to preach to the crowd rather than preaching about faith, the Christian message, and the Hope of Heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 06:35 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times
Technically, the visiting preacher was giving a political sermon. Why haven't they been examined by the IRS?

Old 06-01-2008, 06:42 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,767,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Technically, the visiting preacher was giving a political sermon. Why haven't they been examined by the IRS?
You really, really think the gubmint is werried about a preacher spouting off on a visit? Continuous, like wright is one thing, and I wonder more about that, but this fellow, nah, small fish, not worth the effort nor the expenditure.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:04 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Obama did nothing good by leaving. He did it for his own expediency, which is what totally governs everything he does and is: the quintessential politician. He did not DENOUNCE the church. That might have made some difference in an attempt to clean up their act, but he did not do that. There is something deeper going on, hopefully will be ferreted out in the coming days or weeks. He is becoming a national shame.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:03 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
The IRS went after small churches that spoke out against the Iraq war.
Want to talk politics about that one?

Leaving is denouncing.
Shall we try swiftboating Obama now?

Old 06-01-2008, 05:24 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,888 times
Well Obama said he could no more denounce his church than his White grandmother...

She knew the risks, well Obama, we're waiting.

I find it one thing for a church to say "we don't believe in the War in Iraq," my church is somewhat that way, though I am not. But when you start talking about candidates and their merits, and essentially giving an endorsement... its time to take away their tax exemption. So I think that you can say, "we should support the most pro-Israel candidate, and its up to you to figure out who he is," that is OK, and I have been to plenty of churches that say that (especially some of the greatest Southern churches).
But saying that (for instance, I am not quoting anyone), "Hillary Clinton does not deserve the Presidency." That is wrong.

Another thing, Barrack Obama had a 250,000 earmark for this White pastor at his church (Fleghler, or something). And now he supports Obama (he was a member of Catholics for Obama), I thought that politics was supposed to be done at an arms length?

Old 06-02-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post

I find it one thing for a church to say "we don't believe in the War in Iraq," my church is somewhat that way, though I am not.

I can not state this emphatically enough!!! A church can not believe any thing, nothing!!! However, the people of a church can and should believe. A church is an inantimate object, a building made up of sticks and stones; however, a CHURCH is a group of people bound together by similar personal beliefs and not one line of any recognized CHURCH in America or in God's Holy Bible, the Karan, or other faith organization says anything about preaching one verson of politics.

As a follower of Jesus Christ, I genuinely believe that if priests, preachers, and clergy of all denominations would focus on Godly issues, the politics would take care of themselves.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:09 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
The New Testament church is a body of "called out ones" or the ecclesia, and is anything but inanimate. And, I agree, bound together by similar beliefs, NOT personal, but those tenets of Christianity. So true, politics has NO business in the pulpit. However, I do think issues should be brought up which have to do with morality, etc. but not endorsing or tearing down a candidate. Otherwise, have the IRS in the front pews.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Its the judgement problems and the assocaiation that really matter. I could really care whatthe church and oits member want to preach and beleive as I do the whiter supremeist people. But I will vote for neither type of person to be in government.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its the judgement problems and the assocaiation that really matter. I could really care whatthe church and oits member want to preach and beleive as I do the whiter supremeist people. But I will vote for neither type of person to be in government.
huh? If you are going to write on this forum, please make an effort to spell check (it's pretty easy to do, and write so a real dummy like me can understand what your point is)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections