Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 06:40 AM

136 posts, read 517,629 times

Advertisements

I notice some posters typing in Obama's middle name with a purpose to indicate his heritage and I must state that if his name were John Smith would this change your view about him. I know that when someone is given a name at birth that the Surname may indicate your heritage but that is not an indication of who you are as a person and what you represent. Heck, we all know that you usually get your father's last name since most women take their husbands name and that right there means you may only have 50% of that heritage if not less unless both parent's are from the same background. And even if you have a name that is common to a specific heritage does not mean you have any upbringing specifically under the beliefs of that heritage. I would say that it is the ignorance of most people that read a name and judge the person by this only. I will not judge him merely by his name. Is there anyone out there that agrees with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 08:33 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,872,765 times
Well beachkat; you and I are in agreement here. The ones that use the middle name are the same ones who get their daily marching orders from O'Reilly and Limbaugh; demonize, demonize, demonize. And let's face it, that kind of campaign works on a lot of people, mostly undereducated types who can't make a cogent argument (you read them on here a lot), but just keep trotting out the same (generally invalid) talking points.

I'm sure all the posters on here making less than $40K a year are worried about their taxes going up, although in reality it'll be those making over $100K. Yet many of these folks think that W and Reagan "cut" their taxes. Of course they did cut what they pay directly to the IRS with the left hand, but took it all back, and then some, with the right hand.

Anyway, well said sir!

golfgod

Old 06-02-2008, 08:37 AM

237 posts, read 300,459 times
what are you suggesting? that his name is barack hussein smith?

Old 06-02-2008, 08:46 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,145,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nail in da coffin View Post
what are you suggesting? that his name is barack hussein smith?
No, that it's Barack HUSSEIN smith.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 AM

2,284 posts, read 5,561,270 times
Is there something wrong with the name Hussein? I personally know several people with that name.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,684,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach kat View Post
Is there anyone out there that agrees with this?
Yes. It's an obvious ploy to draw imagined connections in people's minds. Hussein = Saddam = bad guy. Hate speech based on the name someone was given at birth. If this is all the opposition has, they really don't have any ideas to run on. What's next, arguments about whether Obama wears a flag pin on his lapel? Oh, wait ...

Old 06-02-2008, 09:20 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,041,809 times
I'm with you, beachkat.

Personally, I'm not bothered when people use Hussein. It's just a name. The more it gets used the more it becomes old news. Although from a marketing standpoint, Barack Obama is easier to say and much more dynamic.

In a way, I wish it would become more of a controversy. Bloggers should rant and rave and demand Obama renounce his middle name! Because then people would get sick of hearing about it and realize how stupid this is. The average voter would start saying how ridiculous it is to make a big deal about a middle name.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:22 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,398,469 times
Well he just ditched the church he went to for 30 years because of what other people think about him, I can picture him selling out his heritage and changing his name to smith.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:35 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,041,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Well he just ditched the church he went to for 30 years because of what other people think about him, I can picture him selling out his heritage and changing his name to smith.
I guess that depends on whether or not his middle name will try to go on talk shows to say offensive things.

If your own middle name tries to take advantage of your presidential campaign just to get it's own spotlight... well, it should be renounced.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:37 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,277,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I guess that depends on whether or not his middle name will try to go on talk shows to say things Obama finds offensive.

If your own middle name tries to take advantage of your presidential campaign just to get it's own spotlight... well, it should be renounced.
I hate when that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections