Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:52 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,540,007 times

Advertisements

Which candidate is better suited to address our energy demands and our dependence on foreign oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 11:34 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,584,122 times
Three words - GAS TAX SUSPENSION.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:40 AM

540 posts, read 962,013 times
The gas tax suspension was absurd, but the fact that Obama doesn't have increasing nuclear power on his agenda tells me he doesn't have a strong long-term plan. Solar and wind will never provide all of the electricity that we need - especially once more vehicles start running on batteries.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:53 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,826,461 times
Neither of them would really do it, but I would say McCain might edge out Obama just by a tiny fraction. Both support ethanol subsidies and that doesn't cure anything but it does make "farmers" richer - albeit they aren't really farmers since they aren't growing stuff for consumption rather for "ethanol fuel" which will never happen... None of them are really investing in solar or wind power sadly enough..

Old 06-02-2008, 12:04 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,584,122 times
Opening discussions with our S. American neighbors enables us to take advantage of sugar based fuel. Brazil is running at 100% efficiency right now - what would Cuba look like as a fuel giant? It would definitely be a great incentive to change over from high drug production but we'd need a foreign policy in place to even begin those discussions.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
The gas tax suspension was absurd, but the fact that Obama doesn't have increasing nuclear power on his agenda tells me he doesn't have a strong long-term plan. Solar and wind will never provide all of the electricity that we need - especially once more vehicles start running on batteries.
I haven't seen Obama's website in a while, but I have heard him--on more than one occasion--include nuclear power as a viable form of energy.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Neither of them would really do it, but I would say McCain might edge out Obama just by a tiny fraction. Both support ethanol subsidies and that doesn't cure anything but it does make "farmers" richer - albeit they aren't really farmers since they aren't growing stuff for consumption rather for "ethanol fuel" which will never happen... None of them are really investing in solar or wind power sadly enough..
Obama will double science and research funding for clean energy projects including those that make use of our biomass, solar and wind resources.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:28 PM

540 posts, read 962,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I haven't seen Obama's website in a while, but I have heard him--on more than one occasion--include nuclear power as a viable form of energy.
His website doesn't address it. I don't doubt that you have heard him mention it, but I remember specifically during debates when even Hillary mentioned nuclear, that Obama did not.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
His website doesn't address it. I don't doubt that you have heard him mention it, but I remember specifically during debates when even Hillary mentioned nuclear, that Obama did not.
I don't seem to recall him discussing it in the debates either--although I didn't watch all 22 of them. I seem to recall the discussions occuring on Meet the Press, maybe.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:04 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,742,834 times
Thos late in the game neother can do much wiht a congress that is so political based in their decisions. Ittakes a congress that wants to chtch up to france aftyer being bhind 25 yrs on nuclear energy and ceertinly the democratic congress is hamstrung by their ties to the environmentaist to have power to act on drilling and coal. Alternative that will make a difference are pretty far off because of the time and money needed for infrastructure to support them.Hydrogen is 2025 years away even from the station and transport issues alone.Oils it becasue of its high energy potentail and its overall cheaer cost for the near future.There will only be minor alterantives at high cost until then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections