Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times

Advertisements

Can’t trump The Trump. And that’s that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 10:51 AM

23,498 posts, read 12,496,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
The only way I won't vote for Trump is if he picks Haley for his VP. Like literally if he dies and Rand Paul doesn't take his place I'm still voting for him. If he's in a jail cell I'm voting for him. If he picks Haley as his VP I'm either staying home or writing in Mickey Mouse or something as a protest vote. I doubt I'm alone in not voting for a Haley VP ticket, but maybe I am. Trump should just consider that he may gain a few votes by choosing her but he may lose some as well.

Why you ask? Two reasons.

1. If she is his VP she becomes the defacto heir apparent of the GOP once Trump's term is up and that would bring us right back to square one, with Bush/McCain/Romney's old neocon GOP. Trump's two terms would've been for nothing.

2. If a warmongering neocon is one heartbeat away from the presidency I am not confident that said heartbeat will be beating for much longer. "Accidents" do happen you know.
You are not alone. If he chooses Haley, I won't vote for him.

If the D's are successful in having their political opponent removed and he's replaced by Rand Paul, DeSantis or even Ramaswami, then I'll probably vote for them. If he's replaced by Haley then I'll vote for RFK, Jr. ...and walk away from the GOP.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
This election is going to be close either way. If anyone thinks you can banish all those GOP members who don't drink the Trump koolaide and still win are clueless. It has been proven over and over that you can't win with just the MAGA base. You need all of the members of the party to win. Haley has made it clear that Trump is going to have to court her supporters before she endorses him. He can either do it or tell them to pound sand. Trump's ego tells me he will do the latter. Just like last election he is going to count on a large turnout of his base to win. Just like last time he will lose again because he will underestimate the anyone but Trump voters. In a close race you can't afford to alienate any in the party if you have any chance of winning. The non-MAGA purge will be the death of MAGA.
You're saying that the one and only person on the right who would have the support of white suburban women is Haley?

Old 03-06-2024, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Haley was supported by the Romney/Bush neocon republicans and the democrats. The GOP left us decades ago. They deserve what they are getting. It will be rebuilt into the party it was supposed to be.

Haley screwed herself by listening to the above people. She'll never be accepted as an R again. Probably get some nice paying gigs on liberal corporate/military defense boards, or MSNBC/CNN.
Kevin McCarthy was drooling over her yesterday.

https://www.newsweek.com/kevin-mccar...-party-1876301

Old 03-06-2024, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Haley was pulling Dems and Independents (probably also left leaning), so they weren't going to vote for Trump anyway. In the NH race, only 30% of Haley's voters identified as Republican.

Republican.https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ans-exit-poll/

https://www.afr.com/world/north-amer...0240306-p5fa58

"Some Democrats voted for Republican candidate Nikki Haley in a failed and last-ditch bid to halt Donald Trump’s domination of Super Tuesday’s primary contest."

Haley is a loser, and she has been done since the Iowa caucuses, but determined to help Biden (they are both war hawks, and she gains personally from defense spending), and one more time, she is DONE!
She was harming Biden* more than Trump. All of the money she was sucking away from the D's could have gone into Biden's* campaign.

She should switch parties and campaign to replace Biden* on the ballot.

Old 03-06-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
He may need her. He has to shore up the suburban vote, specifically the suburban women vote. Of course, the suburban women I know don't like her, so...
Which other potential GOP VP is backed by those voters?
I think Sanders would, but it doesn't sound like she wants the spot. Noem, Stefanik ... maybe?

Old 03-06-2024, 11:16 AM

1,701 posts, read 781,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2cents55 View Post
She should not endorse Trump or encourage her supporters to support him after he dissed them.
They should be dissed, they’re not Republicans. If I played for the Steelers and had a teammate I knew was secretly working for the Chiefs, how could I work with that person? They are not actually Republicans, they want either Democrats to run the country or Democrat lights.

Can we dispense with the idea that these people were ever anything but fake?

Old 03-06-2024, 11:17 AM

942 posts, read 563,275 times
Honestly, is anyone surprised?

More like Nikki Failey

Old 03-06-2024, 11:22 AM

13,692 posts, read 7,979,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Nope, it's the Big Rebuttal to Big Gaslighting.

It wouldn't even register with me if it weren't so constant and so loud. Trump wins a state 90-10, and EVERY media outlet calls that 10% a win for Biden and the reprints that "all Haley votes go to Biden and Trump/RNC/conservatives/apple pie should be worried" trope. Over and over, every primary, every state, without fail.

Who are they trying to convince?
Not sure.

Quote:
These men are completely known quantities, engaged the first presidential rematch since 1956. Even someone who has been in a coma since late 2019 would have pretty firm opinions about them. But the Democratic optimists would have you believe that an electorally significant chunk of voters will soon change their minds.

Why might Trump’s lead be a chimera? According to one prominent theory, it’s because the inevitability of Trump’s nomination hasn’t broken through to voters who are unhappy with Joe Biden but who will ultimately come home. As the Editorial Board’s John Stoehr noted in a widely shared thread Tuesday on X, “Most people still don’t quite believe Trump is going to be the Republican Party’s nominee.” Once they do, he says, “a switch will turn on.” This theory supposes that the polling disadvantage will vanish like George Santos from the House floor or the critical race theory panic from the local school board meeting. I’ll admit to thinking some version of this might be at work; voters simply aren’t taking another Trump term seriously enough, and once they do, surely they will come to their senses and start telling pollsters that they will back Biden.

The trouble with this theory is that it should already be working its magic, and there is no evidence that it is. We’re halfway through February, not mired in some slow-news-cycle August afternoon the year before the election. The more time passes with Trump leading in polling averages, the less likely it is that there is anything particularly mysterious at work here at all.
https://news.yahoo.com/three-comfort...l?guccounter=1

Old 03-06-2024, 11:44 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,301,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Haley was supported by the Romney/Bush neocon republicans and the democrats. The GOP left us decades ago. They deserve what they are getting. It will be rebuilt into the party it was supposed to be.

Haley screwed herself by listening to the above people. She'll never be accepted as an R again. Probably get some nice paying gigs on liberal corporate/military defense boards, or MSNBC/CNN.
Can’t rep you for a while, so, yes, the so-called “republican party” came to an end when the Bush family - all due respect to them - used it as their and their cronies’ personal fiefdom.

I remember George Bush Jr beaming with glee when he introduced Obama as the new president as if he were his protégé, and he probably was.

If a group were to splinter off independently from the UniParty, I would hope that it emerges as something better than “the party it was supposed to be”, because, whatever that was, it clearly is not good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections