Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 04:13 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,577,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Well, how about we make it a rule that we can't elect anyone who eats red meat, sugar, fried foods, coffee, or who drives anything but an electric car or who gets caught not recycling a soda can, or who drinks alcohol, or who lives anywhere there are floods or tornados or.....you name it....what do you consider unhealthy or dangerous? If the worse thing you can say about someone is that they smoke then you've got a winner.

LML I laugh because Dubya drank until he was 40 yet Obama is a horrible man since he smokes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 04:19 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,767,391 times
I think if this is drawn out and used as some sort of "ammo" against Obama, it'll backfire. If the pressure is put on, he'll admit he smokes/is trying to quit, put a positive spin on it (dont start, blah blah) and look like the good guy.

Furthermore, trying to throw stones at the guy because he smokes will just anger a lot of people who DO smoke and are already treated like social lepers as is.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:28 PM

524 posts, read 840,014 times
The bottom line is it's an addiction - and it will kill you - and he knows that. It speaks to his character. Psychoanalysts would call this "self-destructive behaviour".

As a smoker myself, I can tell you we're not very popular right now. There are entire towns where you can't smoke anymore. What will he do if he gets elected and wants to visit Vail? Change the law before going?

If I were running for President, you can bet your ass I'd quit; I don't care how hard it is. I can have flaws because I don't have any delusions about taking over the world.

I'm absolutely sure if this were reversed you guys would be singing a very different tune.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:39 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,122,961 times
Frankly I don't give a rats azz if he smokes 10 packs a day....

Most of you regulars know I'm not an Obama supporter so I'm speaking as a fellow human being.

As a former smoker who quit 4 years ago on doctors orders (hardest thing I've ever done) I'm just saying: CANCER RUNS IN HIS MOTHER'S FAMILY. HE'S TAKING A HUGE RISK. You supporters better be sure you like Obama's VP choice because he may die in midlife of cancer like his mom!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:33 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,649,543 times
Considering all of Obama's other rather severe character defects, I'd probably let this one go. The smokes are going to get him sooner or later. Guaranteed.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:22 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,467,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I'd rather have a president who is addicted to nicotine than one who is addicted to war.
A big AAAAAAAAAMEN to that!

Old 06-13-2008, 04:29 AM

571 posts, read 853,882 times
THIS IS GETTING FUNNY. I can name about 5 terrible things about Mccain talking about the Issues. Veterans affairs, his statement how he knows nothing about the economy. War policy. relations to bush. ANTI UN ANTI PEACE.

Name me some bad policys of Obama. OR can you?

Old 06-13-2008, 04:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,786,783 times
It is hard to quit. I have been clean for 9 years now but it was not easy and still, even today, I feel the need for one once in a great while but as the years go by, it is less and less. My opinion about smokers is what it was when I was one- they are slobs and drug addicts and most of them don't even know it. At least Obama knows it. He seems to be at least trying to get off his addiction and, unlike most addicts, he does not light up in public and toss his butts out the window. Hopefully him and his doctors can get him off his addiction.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:23 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,832,285 times
Actually the thread presents a couple contrasts -- one man with the inner strength and fortitude to give up a vice (Bush-drink); one with the inner self confidence to not hide (Burns) and one who has neither (Obama.) I just find it amusing the messiah, the one who presents change, change and hope we can believe in, the yes we can man; can't.

I couldn't care less the guy smokes - light it up! But in all the defenses here, the fact remains that Obama finds the need to sneak smokes in the bathroom like a wimpy little child scared of his mother -- yet another example of his handlers afraid to show voters the true man behind the myth. . . and the voters hiding from the sight of truth.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:33 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,970,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
the fact remains that Obama finds the need to sneak smokes in the bathroom like a wimpy little child scared of his mother -- yet another example of his handlers afraid to show voters the true man behind the myth. . . and the voters hiding from the sight of truth.
He admitted it publicly--that doesn't sound like someone hiding in a bathroom to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections