Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you confront a friend about his or her racism and hatred towards America
Yes 14 32.56%
No 4 9.30%
I would not have a friend with such hate. 17 39.53%
I would confront him or her for the racism only. 5 11.63%
I would confront him or her for their hate for America only. 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:01 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,277,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I would think it obvious if you look at the sequence of events regarding this issue.

He sits in a church for 20 years and has the cojones to tell the American people he NEVER, EVER heard such controversial statements from the Wright.

But he did this only AFTER wright's questionable sermons hit the airwaves.

His first attempt was to say he disagreed with the comments but he could "no more disown the rev than he could the black community".

National Press Club fiasco.

His second attempt infers that these comments he can no longer ignore - but, they WERE THE SAME COMMENTS FROM THE START - nothing has changed but his attempt to distance himself further.

Pfleger; At this point, his third attempt to pull the wool over the everybody's eyes - he finally disowns the church.

You cannot convince me and millions of other rational, logical people that he had not heard these comments before. He must think the electorate very naive and stupid.

I think one can assume he either agreed with the rhetoric coming out of that church OR he could not summon the courage to confront and disown such a relationship.

Judgement and Courage - both in play regarding this issue.
The original post is about confronting. The poll is about confronting people we know. Rggr and I were talking about the meaning of confront. I contend that the fact that none of us knows whether there even was a confrontation btw the two renders the premise of the thread pointless, based on my understanding of the word "confront."

I dont feel like confronting you, go confront someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,076,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
Nobody brought that up but you, here. That's a really 4th-grade attempt to try and shut down discussion of a VERY salient point, and it has positively nothing whatsoever to do with the topic of this thread.
You must not be from around these parts.....or you'd know the history of the OP and the over extensive use of the middle name.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:13 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,627,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
That's all surmise, though; you shouldnt have to assume. We dont know whether he confronted him, or didn't, the outcome, or what, and neither does the OP.
You're right, we do have to assume because he has not answered the questions. Regarding the confrontation question, here are the possibilities as I see them. Let me know if you have another one.

1. He did not confront him.
2. He confronted him, did not prevail, and stayed in the church.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
You're right, we do have to assume because he has not answered the questions. Regarding the confrontation question, here are the possibilities as I see them. Let me know if you have another one.

1. He did not confront him.
2. He confronted him, did not prevail, and stayed in the church.
The OP presumes BO did not confront RW. Then the OP gives us a poll on would we confront people ourselves.

"He's not answered the questions" - ai Dios mio, a whole new thing now, what questions? I might have missed some news, did someone ask him if he "confronted" RW and he said no he didn't? Please post a link to this.

Meanwhile, all we can do is guess and surmise, which would be a >cough< tragic waste of time.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:27 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,081,368 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, all we can do is guess and surmise, which would be a >cough< waste of time
I think we can surmise a lot from his "words" and actions in this matter.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:30 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,473,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Wow, another unbiased poll from PCM.

Please post a quote of Reverent Wright being racist towards whites or any other race.
I agree, the same old people, posting the same old trash with no substance at all. It's much, much easier for people to continue these smear posts on the person they "don't" support instead of posting anything positive on who they "do" support. This proves that there really isn't anything "good" to say about Grampie McSame who offers "NOTHING" for the American people.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:40 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,841,780 times
Quote:
That's all surmise, though; you shouldnt have to assume. We dont know whether he confronted him, or didn't, the outcome, or what, and neither does the OP.
If he did confront him, his lying aside (as that's now a given) he stated he never heard that type of speech, it seems to me to raise even more questions. Is this what he means by confront other leaders? They ignore him and he just sits back down with his wife and kids like a good little man?

Old 06-13-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
If
stop right there, is what Im saying in the above nine thousand posts.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:43 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,841,780 times
Quote:
Again, how do you know he didnt confront him?

Answering the OP's question - yes, I have confronted friends* and relatives about his or her racism and hatred towards America, and I've done the same with people I dont know very well too.

*not that I could really call such people serious friends. Friendly co-workers.
So, assuming he did confront and following the Obama model, when your friends continued to spew racism and hatred did you just continue to sit down and listen for 20 years? I'm giving him the benefit of doubt and assuming he never confronted; the alternative is even worse!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
So, assuming
see above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections