Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you confront a friend about his or her racism and hatred towards America
Yes 14 32.56%
No 4 9.30%
I would not have a friend with such hate. 17 39.53%
I would confront him or her for the racism only. 5 11.63%
I would confront him or her for their hate for America only. 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:43 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
You're missing the entire point and twisting yourself in knots over "confront" . . . . the OP's post is about how Obama responds to those he finds offensive. Does he sit and do nothing or does he get up and leave. The answer is he does the worst of both. Sits for 20 years and leaves when he's caught. Change we can believe in.
The entire point hinges on the reader buying into the OP's surmise that, cut/paste, "Barack Hussein Obama could not confront his pastor and great friend of twenty (20) years."

I asked, How does the OP know whether or not he could confront, was there even a confrontation, we dont know, blah blah blah.

When you say "The answer is he does the worst of both" you're surmising (re confrontation w/RW, re getting up and leaving, and re North Korea and Iran) right along with the OP as an opportunity to bash Obama, which you can do elsewhere in threads that have thoughtful premises. Or here if you like, I dont care.

Last edited by delusianne; 06-13-2008 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: added last sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 12:27 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,329,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I can't have relationships with known hateful people (assuming outside of the family). Any more than I could with a drug dealer, pedophile, gangster and the like.
Hateful people love to turn on others. They very seldom recognize that he or she has a major problem. Hate is like an illness. It spreads...

Old 06-13-2008, 01:41 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,830,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Again, how do you know he didnt confront him?
We can only look at what we know. Obama sat, listened and contributed to the church for 20 years. When the issue became public he said he never heard him say that stuff. How can you "confront" what you've never heard? I think, if one takes Obama at his word, it is logical to conclude he never confronted and would be quite illogical to conclude that he did.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:34 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
yeah his middle name is Hussein, we get it.
So what? Why do you have a problem with that?

Old 06-14-2008, 03:42 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
...... That's a really 4th-grade attempt to try and shut down discussion of a VERY salient point, and it has positively nothing whatsoever to do with the topic of this thread.

Get used to that happening more and more. The Barak will NOT be impugned.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:03 AM

384 posts, read 1,710,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Barack Hussein Obama could not confront his pastor and great friend of twenty (20) years, but he wants us to believe he can confront North Korea and Iran.

Would you confront a friend about his or her racism and hatred towards America?
Isn't it America's or should I say Bush's brushing off of North Korea that uproared the North Korean? From my understanding this man (Kim Yong) wanted the respect of the Americans and they (Bush Administration) practically ignored him as if he was insignificant. Well to show how "significant" he can be Kim Yong (I believe that's his name) wanted to show the world that he was a little man with big threats. So it appears to me that the Bush/McCain Administration had an issue with dealing with North Korea as well. Whether it worked or not, the Bush/McCain Administration was just as guilty for ignoring a possible threat to the US and other countries.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:04 AM

757 posts, read 3,364,222 times
I did, in fact, confront a colleague about her racism. She was raised in a working class community that had gone from Italian-American to African-American during her childhood, with a lot of resentment from her parents' generation that she absorbed as unthinking racism. When she made racist remarks, I questioned her. Slowly, she became aware that she had been labeling people without knowing them. She became much more tolerant and open, since she was basically compassionate by nature.

This was significant when she was attacked when we were coworkers. As the suspect's trial date neared, it became apparent that the man she'd identified as her attacker was not the right guy. The case was written up in The New York Times Magazine. (To read the article, you'll have to buy it, unfortunately -- pre-1981.) Unfortunately, the real guy was never caught, and the other guy's life fell apart during his incarceration while awaiting trial.

I was really proud of her for saying, "No, I was mistaken." Family and friends pressured her to press the case, but she was sure, based on his voice, that this was not the man who, at knife point, had stolen her engagement ring and threatened to rape her. I think she showed incredible guts.

By refusing to communicate (that is LISTEN, THINK and SPEAK), we never grow and we never help others to grow.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:59 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Barack Hussein Obama could not confront his pastor and great friend of twenty (20) years, but he wants us to believe he can confront North Korea and Iran.

Would you confront a friend about his or her racism and hatred towards America?
I would confront a friend who kept drawing attention to someone's middle name, just because it happens to be the same name of an unsavory political figure. That IS racism and hatred.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:03 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
Nobody brought that up but you, here. That's a really 4th-grade attempt to try and shut down discussion of a VERY salient point, and it has positively nothing whatsoever to do with the topic of this thread.
The OP is the one drawing attention to it, over and over again. THAT is what's 4th-grade here. It's like the schoolyard bully picking on a kid because his parents gave him a funny name.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:34 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,329,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Is this what fat baldie (aka Rove) referred to as a "push poll"?
Very childish!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections