Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 02:57 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,828,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
It's truly sad to see someone use a dirtbag country to make an appropriate comparison.

You, sir, should be deported ASAP where you can feel more at home in a third world.
Pick any country; it's irrelevant. The bill or rights applies to citizens; perhaps the Geneva convention to the captured . . . . but I'm not sure even that applies here. . . I don't know why they just don't call them POWs and keep them until the war on terror ends. Or they die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 05:18 PM

585 posts, read 2,223,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
Pick any country; it's irrelevant. The bill or rights applies to citizens; perhaps the Geneva convention to the captured . . . . but I'm not sure even that applies here. . . I don't know why they just don't call them POWs and keep them until the war on terror ends. Or they die.
The war on terror will never end. This isn't your typical conflict that we've seen in the past, it's already been 7 years. Therefore, I personally think it's wrong to keep these people without charging them.

Not only have we blurred the lines of what we call a terrorist, we have blurred the lines of what we can do with these people.

This poses a very dangerous situation in regards to maintaining the vision our country's founding fathers put in place. I can't believe people are okay with that. It's about as Un-American as you can get.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:00 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
The war on terror will never end. This isn't your typical conflict that we've seen in the past, it's already been 7 years. Therefore, I personally think it's wrong to keep these people without charging them.

Not only have we blurred the lines of what we call a terrorist, we have blurred the lines of what we can do with these people.

This poses a very dangerous situation in regards to maintaining the vision our country's founding fathers put in place. I can't believe people are okay with that. It's about as Un-American as you can get.
I agree... except I do think the war will end. One way or the other, because if we do not end it the war will bankrupt our country and the US (as we know it) will cease to exist.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:10 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
US (as we know it) will cease to exist.
I agree. Our nation wouldn't be the 1st great empire to collapse (as history has shown time and time again) and certainly not the last. I wish more folks would wake up and smell the coffee, but many Americans don't even realize there is a world outside of the U.S. that does not necessarily depend on the U.S. to prosper or just how messed up our budget, spending, and borrowing has become.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:27 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,002,235 times
I meant the orders are going to go from capture to kill.

This opinion shows exactly how people do not think a like.

How are we going to let our court system (who can't even handle it's case load now) decide the fate. These are not American citizens theses are enemy combatant caught on the battle field.

Tekka you are arguing the case of the innocent. I have looks and found no case of an in innocent inmates.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:39 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
I agree. Our nation wouldn't be the 1st great empire to collapse (as history has shown time and time again) and certainly not the last. I wish more folks would wake up and smell the coffee, but many Americans don't even realize there is a world outside of the U.S. that does not necessarily depend on the U.S. to prosper or just how messed up our budget, spending, and borrowing has become.
Look what invading Afghanistan did to the Soviet Union. Wars can bankrupt a country, it happens time and again.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
How are we going to let our court system (who can't even handle it's case load now) decide the fate.
Cite on Fed Court being overloaded and unable to cope w/ Habeas proceedings? Cite on Military court being being overloaded and unable to cope w/ Habeas proceedings? These proceedings have been handled since the 8th century.

Rational explanation on how if a court system were overloaded, it's practical to just forgo basic human rights (i.e. to know for what reason you're being detained) all together rather than employing more judges? Did you not realize there's already talk pf legislation being introduced that would seek to enact a Nat. Sec. Court system (as illegitimate as I think it may be)? What say you to the 1st 1200 Article 5 (Geneva Convention) tribunals that were carried out after the 1st Gulf War which show that we have the capacity to handle a mere 80-300 people?

Quote:
These are not American citizens theses are enemy combatant caught on the battle field.
Wrong, you haven't been paying attention at all have you?

Shayana Kadidal, senior managing attorney for the Guantanamo Global Justice Initiative at the Center for Constitutional Rights:

"The military has already said they will only charge a maximum of 80 detainees at Guantanamo which leaves over 200 that will never be charged, and if you add that to the 500 that have already been released then it shows you the vast majority of these people there were picked up by mistake. "

"...it's worth pointing out that only 4% of detainees at Guantanamo were picked up on anything resembling a battle field. And only 1 out of 512 there in 2004 were picked up by the U.S. on a battlefield"

"... 780 have been held over the last 6 years at Guantanamo; over 500 have been released to their home countries, and you can count on the fingers of your hand how many have been charged, so that leaves 280; 80 of which the U.S. Military states they will charge, which previous evidence would indicate is a gross exaggeration. They've charged less than 20 so far and they seem to be willing to charge the lowest level offense, things such as participating in the Armed Forces of Afghanistan..."

John Hutson, adviser to Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign; president and dean, Franklin Pierce Law Center; former judge advocate general for the U.S. Navy

"...if it turns out that there is no evidence against these people indicating that they should be incarcerated or that there detention should be continued, well then their detention should not be continued... that's the whole point of Habeas Corpus"

"we have gotten ourselves in a real predicament with these people and a number of people that may not have been serious threats before...uh, as it remarked earlier in the conversation that many of those were turned over to us for revenge purposes or identified as terrorists when in fact they were not, but now... some 5-6 years later, they may be a problem, but one way or another, whether with refugee status or returning them to their home country, or to a 3rd country... or prosecuting them, that's the best answer. But among these alternatives. we need to do something because we simply can't hold them forever..."

Quote:
Tekka you are arguing the case of the innocent. I have looks and found no case of an in innocent inmates.
I'm actually arguing a more fundamental issue; that is regardless of purported guilt or innocence, there needs to be a process to decide which and a result (e.g. jailed, released, etc.). That is why the Supreme Court Ruling is a good thing.

Nevertheless, see above and if the facts of the matter still don't persuade you then unfortunately, nothing will and I find this conversation pointless, as there really isn't even an argument. It's pure conjecture, baseless notions, and exaggeration on the part of you and Sunshine_Chick vs. the facts.

Source:
WAMU 88.5 FM American University Radio - The Diane Rehm Show for Tuesday June 17, 2008
Tuesday, June 17th, 2008 --> Listen to this segment

Last edited by tekka-maki; 06-18-2008 at 09:10 AM..

Old 06-18-2008, 08:46 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
There is no war on terror. There are only wars against countries. This former is a populist and "progressive" slogan.

Since a struggle (NOT war) against terror is ongoing, you cannot hold detainees forever. What if a few of these people are just regular shopkeepers in Baghdad mis-identified as terrorists? Oh well, that's just too bad? Please...

No other westernized republic does what we do. For example, tThe British don't do it with captured IRA members and they are every bit a terrorist as the Islamic variety.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Look what invading Afghanistan did to the Soviet Union. Wars can bankrupt a country, it happens time and again.
Middle Age Crusades; Various European States during the 15th century 'New World' conquests,Greek Empire, Roman Empire, Persia, Mongol Empire, Japan and Germany before WW2 etc. I think our time is coming but some would probably like to think that China's support is infinite and w/o repercussions.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
What if a few of these people are just regular shopkeepers in Baghdad mis-identified as terrorists?
I agree, but there isn't even a 'what if' question. A great many (as I've outlined) have already been found to be innocent people, and released... with many more to be tentatively released, despite Habeas Corpus ruling. That's why the counter argument about baddies/Troops/etc. holds no weight whatsoever and stems from pure, blatant ignorance to the topic at hand.

It's akin to arguing the Earth is flat AFTER Classical Times...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections